Wireless systems

but if you can manage tones like that with a wireless, why the hell not?

It's not just about tone. It is also about the expressive capabilities of the amp, which are dependent on as simple of a signal chain as possible. It's not a metal sound, usually more of a blues guy thing.

Try this: go to a Banjo Mart or some place that will let you really crank a really dirt simple amp, like an old Fender tweed of some sort (preferably a real one, not one of the reissues - a champ will do, though a Deluxe or a Twin would be louder - and one which is in good repair). Take your guitar, a cable, plug in, and crank the amp. No effects, at all in between. Now, play something. Now play a little lighter. Now turn your guitar down a little bit, and play. You'll get what I'm talking about instantly. If that is how you play, and the sound you are after, a wireless will kill it, dead. If you are a guy who uses a lot of effects (or, really, any effects), then it doesn't matter what so ever. Neither one is better or worse, they are just different. Which is, of course, a good thing.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

second the Sennheiser Freeprot wireless unit. great price, great quality, and little to zero tone coloring. i was actually suprised when i hooked mine up, but its true.

great buy.

The best wireless I have used, I rented for the last tour I was on. It was a Sennheiser G2. It uses 4 AA batteries. I had rechargable duracell batts, so I never had to buy them. It worked flawlessly every night. Both the units were made of metal, not plastic. I'm definately buying one for the next tour. They run $450.

Oh yeah, the freeport is $99 right now at musicians friend. My bass player used one. It worked. I would stay far away from the Nady stuff. I had to send 3 different units back. 3 out of 3 never worked.

There is now a cord made by Spinstigator which doesn't tangle because it has a completely noiseless rotating device along the length of it. This may be an alternative to those who use wireless due to the twisted cable problem. Here it is..
http://www.spinstigator.com

Last edited:
Back