What would you recommend to a new Rock fan?

Cash The King

So far I like mainly older stuff..things with concepts and meaning.. I don't like the heavy metal yellin stuff at all.. I guess you can say I like the more mellow rock.. soft rock? and the hiphop/rock type is ok.. im a big fan of guitars!!!..

So far i've been bumpin..

David Bowie & Pat Metheny - This Is Not America
David Essex - Rock On
Janis Joplin & Jimi Hendrix - Summertime
Jimi Hendrix - Bold As Love
Jimi Hendrix - Castles Made Of Sand
Jimi Hendrix - Hey Joe
Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven
Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb
Pink Floyd - Mother
Smashing Pumpkins - Drown
The Doors - Five To One

I have a lot more but these are my fav's so far.. what would you suggest as far as good singles?.. and some good albums to cop too.. thanks!

I am going to give a response to your question as if we have no beef from the other threads. No reason to keep on slinging crap, right ;)

My guess is that you are not going to enjoy alot of the newer stuff so maybe try some other classic bands....Wait...you didn't mention the blues? Do you like the blues?.....how about SRV or Eric Clapton? There is a wealth of great blues and those two just popped into my head first (don't flame me anybody) :D How about some good 70's prog rock. It usually has a softer texture and a more mellow vibe. (does that make any sense?...ha)

I havent really checked a lot of blues directly.. i have heard songs from time to time that i enjoy.. what classic rock bands would you suggest, that i probably wouldnt know of.. and what type of feel does the 70s prong rock have to it?..

I think the Almond Bros. and Lynnerd Sk. had some good guitar sounds.......that's more like southern fryed rock than "classic" to some degree, but still good stuff.

Some old Cream stuff was pretty smokin as well.

I don't know if I'm helping...:o

Here's one you may not have heard of - Shooting Star . There's a lot of old school Les Paul stuff on their albums. :)

The Faces is great classic Rock

If you like geetar, then buy you some Black Crowes. I like the guitar work on Lions myself

I think the Almond Bros. and Lynnerd Sk. had some good guitar sounds.......that's more like southern fryed rock than "classic" to some degree, but still good stuff.
Sorry, but I can't let that butchery stand. :D It's "Allman Brothers" and "Lynyrd Skynyrd".

They are good for Southern Rock and have many "classic" standards.

Blues- Robert Johnson, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Son House, Leadbelly, Blind Willie Johnson.

Classic Rock - Skip Led Zeppelin and just listen to all of the blues songs that they ripped off (word for word in many cases). Beatles after '67, Rolling Stones from '66 to '75, Bob Seger, Johhny Cash, Screaming Jay Hawkins, Little Richard, Elvis, Carl Perkins, Jerry Lee Lewis<--his early live stuff is phenominal, Pink Floyd.

Alt Rock. - Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Soundgarden, Screaming Trees, The Pixies, Concrete Blonde, Jesus and Mary Chain.

Acoustic - Damien Rice, Richard Buckner, Tracy Chapman, Bob Dylan, Tori Amos, Lori McKenna, Gillian Welch, Bruce Springsteen, David Gray, Townes Van Zandt, Steve Earl, Lucinda Williams, Ryan Adams, John Gorka.

Older "concept", not too heavy?

early Emerson Lake and Palmer

Jethro Tull- "Aqualung"

Procol Harum-"A Salty Dog"

early King Crimson

"Tommy" The Who

Last edited:
Check out RL Burnside real blues guy with Hip hop crossover (his son plays drums and produces to give the hip hop side).

try some of the old rockabilly stuff, and the new: the sun rockabilly essentials is a great collection to give you a view of that stuff.

then listen to the sonics, Psycho, have love will travel etc. They did in the mid 60's what most garage bands are trying to pull off today.

If you like that, dig the detroit cobras for more updated rockin stuff in that vein.

If you like that, take a walk down old school rock (punk, but let's face it, punk has been twisted by radio, this is rock and roll at its raw best) like the clash and ramones, and for historical purposes, the sex pistols. If you like that, listen to sticky little fingers, the dwarves, dead kennedys, etc. The hives do pretty good attempts at that kind of thing today.

If all this is a stretch (or hard to find in most record stores) try old school solid music that stretches beyond the classic rock stations a bit, Elvis Costello, tom waits, eric burden and the animals, all the motown stuff, the meters, white stripes are in this vein imo, god, it goes on forever and there is so much good music that is a bit more challenging if you get into it

Have fun with the tunes, take a week off work.

crap. forgot the stooges (and iggy pop), screaming jay hawkins, the stones (of course), hell steely dan if you want somehting mellower (but fairly complex, music-wise). who was the band bowie worked with, Mott the hoople?
queen.
thin lizzy.
ac/dc before and after bon scott.
sabbath
rage.

daav

If you want to check out a hot young new artist, see if you can find anything by Derik Trucks, he's an incredable young blues/rock guitarist. Older guys worthy of giving a listen to might be Robin Trower, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Eric Clapton, George Harrison and a ton of others. Really old guys on your listening list should include Carl Perkins and Chuck Berry. There have been so many it's hard to recomend just a few. I almost forgot Ritchie Blackmoore for some inovative stuff.

Cash The King said:
So far I like mainly older stuff..things with concepts and meaning.. I don't like the heavy metal yellin stuff at all.. I guess you can say I like the more mellow rock.. soft rock? and the hiphop/rock type is ok.. im a big fan of guitars!!!..

So far i've been bumpin..

David Bowie & Pat Metheny - This Is Not America
David Essex - Rock On
Janis Joplin & Jimi Hendrix - Summertime
Jimi Hendrix - Bold As Love
Jimi Hendrix - Castles Made Of Sand
Jimi Hendrix - Hey Joe
Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven
Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb
Pink Floyd - Mother
Smashing Pumpkins - Drown
The Doors - Five To One

I have a lot more but these are my fav's so far.. what would you suggest as far as good singles?.. and some good albums to cop too.. thanks!

I suggest you start with Gentle giant and some Yes stuff maybe tales of topographic oceans and then finish it of with Mahavishnu Orchestra :D

"Here Comes the Sun", "Golden Slumbers/Carry that Weight/The End" (a medley of songs that combine to form one big song), "Don't Let Me Down" -- The Beatles.
(plenty more great beatles stuff, but didnt want to overload u at first ;) )

"Bohemian Rhapsody" -- Queen

"Over the Hills and Far Away" Led Zeppelin

"Us and Them", "The Great Gig in the Sky" -- Pink Floyd

"Sweet Home Alabama" -- Lynyrd Skynyrd

"Sweet Emotion" -- Aerosmith

"Baba O'Riley" -- The Who

"Roundabout", "Siberian Khatru" -- Yes

Just a taste of each band. I picked my favorite songs by each band, hopefully you will enjoy this classic rock!

Heavy but not death metal heavy:

Kiss - Destroyer
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Zep 4
Floyd floyd floyd
Tool 1
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
Deftones
Chevelle

Nice to see the jazzier Pat Metheney on your list. To stay with the more progressive rocky stuff, some of the best for me are these:

Yes ("Close to the Edge" is a great starting point for guitar lovers)

Steve Morse (solo or with the Dixie Dregs group--what a guitarist--try "Unsung Heroes")

King Crimson (the early stuff is lighter--much heavier in recent years--try "Lark's Tongues")

And if you want to sample some very good current prog-rock, try the Swedish group "The Flower Kings"--the "Unfold the Future" CD. Terrible name, I know, but these guys are great--one foot in the 70s and one current--mixing up rock, jazz, and classical forms in wonderful ways.

Best,
J.

Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here

The Who's Qudrophenia

Beck Midnight Vultures and also Guero

Macy Gray On How Life Is

Mott the Hoople's Mott

Derek & The Domino's Layla

Dylan's Blonde On Blonde

Jefferson Airplane Surrealistic Pillow

Byrd's Sweetheart Of The Rodeo and the entire Gram Parsons discography

Rolling Stones Let It Bleed/Sticky Fingers/ Exile On Main Street

The Band Music From Big Pink also Islands (Right As Rain is very cool as is Streetwalker)

Bob Dylan/The Band Before The Flood

The Doors LA Woman

X's Wild Gift and Under The Big Black Sun. Wild Gift is a great punk record, and BBS is a bit mellower and reflective. Has a beautiful "Please Come Back To Me" written for Exine's deceased sister, and a cover of Leadbelly's "Dancing With Tears In My Eyes".

Tony Rice Native American. Okay, it ain't r-n-r per se----- but it's a great fucking record produced by Bill Wolf with some of the best sounding instrumentation you will find anywhere; and Jerry Douglas and Tony rock out. The version of Summer Wages makes getting this disc worth it just for that tune alone.

That outta keep you busy for a while

check out the band "Pain of Salvation." They aren't too heavy, but are a combination of progressive rock/metal with jazz influences. They are a really good swedish band, and have lots of really nice textures and melodies. Oh and they don't scream, they SING.

Try some Bad Comapny....guitar oriented, but good ole rock. Great voice, but not overly polished. Bass and drums are very solid, but not flashy. Songs are great, but not so polished that you can't imagine how they are done.
Some AC/DC.....Good rock, very barebones recording for the most part, a singer who doesn't have a smooth, singing voice, but uses it as a very powerful tool. (both Bon, and Brian do that...). Very basic backing tracks, that stick with you......no real flash, but quite unique. Tha sound of both these groups is straight ahead rock.
Ed

Back