Is it possible to play guitar too much?

FoulPhil

So, when you've played your guitar so much that you run out of stuff to play and can't think of anything to play, what do you do? I normally go to finger-style blues or classical, but I'm getting bored with that too!

"Run out of stuff to play"? How is that possible? You know how to play every single song and style there is? I have amassed a huge guitar tab/lyric 'cheat sheet' collection. These days, I'll just go through it to find a song I don't remember well, but many many years ago I started at the beginning, and went through the whole thing, song-by-song, timing it. Something like 120 hour of songs!

So put a CD on, or kick up Pandora on your computer, and just play along with anything that comes on.

"Run out of stuff to play"? How is that possible? You know how to play every single song and style there is? I have amassed a huge guitar tab/lyric 'cheat sheet' collection. These days, I'll just go through it to find a song I don't remember well, but many many years ago I started at the beginning, and went through the whole thing, song-by-song, timing it. Something like 120 hour of songs!

So put a CD on, or kick up Pandora on your computer, and just play along with anything that comes on.

I also have a bunch of shit, but most of it I lose interest in quickly. I'm not the type of person who wants to learn every thing there is to learn just for the hell of it. I want to learn specific styles or songs that actually interest me at the time :D

And then I run out of stuff to play because I've played the stuff I know how to play so much that I'm getting bored with playing it! That leads me to add some new flavor to my playing style. So, I'll take up some bluegrass :D

Johnny is turning in his grave. :(

You think he's turning over in his grave over some good folks from south Texas sitting around having a few cold beers and jamming out some acoustic Ramones for the fun of it? He's probably there in spirit wishing he too could partake in a beer session, but then leaves abruptly when I go into Against the wind. I don't think he's a seger fan :facepalm:

I'll pass on that, but I found a cool bluegrass ebook online and ordered one from Musicians Friend too. So, I guess I'll learn a new style! Gives me more quality time with my acoustic <3

Hal Leonard Bluegrass Guitar Play-Along Volume 77 Songbook/CD | Musician's Friend

Bluegrass and fiddle tunes are are great way to sharpen up technique. Start slow and build up speed. The other thing I do a lot is to pick out melody lines from show tunes/standards and when I have them embellish them. Absolutely key to a lot of gigs I do with pick up jazz bands where taking a solo chorus is almost obligatory. The other form of practice that is often overlooked is listening. Listen to stuff and understand where it comes from and where it goes. Most of all enjoy whatever you do.

You think he's turning over in his grave over some good folks from south Texas sitting around having a few cold beers and jamming out some acoustic Ramones for the fun of it? He's probably there in spirit wishing he too could partake in a beer session, but then leaves abruptly when I go into Against the wind. I don't think he's a seger fan :facepalm:

No, not because of any of that. Johnny hated that song and probably didn't even play on the recorded version. So I doubt he'd be there in spirit unless he's there to haunt you for liking one of their suckier songs. :cursing: :D

In college I played for 6-8 hours a day and then at one point my hands were so effed up I could barely turn a doorknob. At that time, that was too much. After that I adopted a better posture and playing for 8 hours was never a problem again.

No, not because of any of that. Johnny hated that song and probably didn't even play on the recorded version. So I doubt he'd be there in spirit unless he's there to haunt you for liking one of their suckier songs. :cursing: :D

hahahah ok I get now sorry for misunderstanding. LOL It's their only acoustic song and it's just the same as any other of their songs accept for the fact that it's done with an acoustic. I think it's a great song :D

In college I played for 6-8 hours a day and then at one point my hands were so effed up I could barely turn a doorknob. At that time, that was too much. After that I adopted a better posture and playing for 8 hours was never a problem again.

I don't think I've had it that bad yet, but at one time when I was learning to shred I played so freaking much that my hands cramped up and were sore almost like how you get when you do too much weight lifting lol. I took a few days off and that helped alot, but once they fully recovered I was much faster...

hahahah ok I get now sorry for misunderstanding. LOL It's their only acoustic song and it's just the same as any other of their songs accept for the fact that it's done with an acoustic. I think it's a great song :D

No man. It's not their only acoustic song. It's just the worst one. :D

Here's a good one!

(Although they did do a more electrified version also)

Back