Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I built a tele

Thanks

I built a tele

Sign in to disable this ad
    The body is built from some poplar that was leftover from a job that I did a few months ago. The top is mahogany veneer. The sides and back are black. The neck is a mystery neck that I bought on ebay. It turned out to be pretty nice. 12" rad 1-5/8ths nut Strat style rout. The tuners, neck plate, output jack, control cover, and the alnico tele neck pickup are all MM. Noname humbucker bridge, with a noname paf spec pu. Tortoise pickguard. This is my first build so I tried to keep it simple and use it as a learning experience. So far so good.

I fit it together last night for the first time so I could drill all of the holes before completing the finish, shielding, wiring etc.. I'm having trouble making myself take it apart.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hang-jpg  

Thanks
    Awesome work! I take it you've not gotten to play it yet? I'm wondering how the intonation will be.

Way to go!
    She's not the boss of me

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by punkin
    Awesome work! I take it you've not gotten to play it yet? I'm wondering how the intonation will be.
    Thanks man. After it got the fresh set of walmart 10's. I wired up the humbucker, and plugged in through my volume pedal. Crude but effective.

I was anxious to see how well my layout worked. I wanted to get the best angle from the back of the intonation blocks to the holes through the bridge. Everything worked out fine. The neck height is right where I want it. I didn't have to touch the truss rod. Intonation was easy.

Thanks

Thumbs up

That's amazing. When you mentione "mystery neck" I figured you'd be fooling with the angle and depth till the cows came home.

Good for you!
    She's not the boss of me

Thanks
    Cool man. How's it play/sound? I wish I had the motivation do build a guitar. But, I'm lazy.......and that's that.

Thanks
    If you have a 4 conductor Humbucker in there you might get a push/pull tone or volume pot and try either coil tapping for the single coil/humbucking sounds or series/parallel wiring. Also a 4 way switch adds variety to the sounds as well. I modded a couple Teles I built and I think the series/parallel sounds are my favorites. The Tele in my signature has the coil tap setup for now-its got some kool tones.

PS-that tortiseshell pickguard looks killer on there-really cool!!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Anfontan
    If you have a 4 conductor Humbucker in there you might get a push/pull tone or volume pot and try either coil tapping for the single coil/humbucking sounds or series/parallel wiring. Also a 4 way switch adds variety to the sounds as well. I modded a couple Teles I built and I think the series/parallel sounds are my favorites. The Tele in my signature has the coil tap setup for now-its got some kool tones.

PS-that tortiseshell pickguard looks killer on there-really cool!!!
    I'm not sure how I'll wire it yet It's a two wire pickup that I have in it now, but that could always change. I ordered concentric pots so I could have separate volume, and tone controls. If I wanted to split the pup I don't know where I'd put the switch.

From what I can tell it's going to sound great. It plays dreamy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bridge-jpg  

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JCH
    I'm not sure how I'll wire it yet It's a two wire pickup that I have in it now, but that could always change. I ordered concentric pots so I could have separate volume, and tone controls. If I wanted to split the pup I don't know where I'd put the switch.

From what I can tell it's going to sound great. It plays dreamy.

The Push/pull pots are in the tone or vol. pots-there is a double pole/double throw switch in there that lets you wire it up without any extra swithes or holes drilled in the control plate. See my link for the push/pull pots~

Push/pull pots

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Anfontan
    The Push/pull pots are in the tone or vol. pots-there is a double pole/double throw switch in there that lets you wire it up without any extra swithes or holes drilled in the control plate.
    Thanks man. I'm familiar With push pull pots, but they're not an option with concentric pots. I bought stuff to wire it up in a few different configs. I've definatly given thought to a split coil setup. I guess I could always drill another hole in the control cover.

Thanks
    Looks good, can't wait to hear some clips.
    Earthbound Misfit

My Lil' tunes

Thread Information