How to tighten up distortion?

MySweetFracture

First time poster, go easy on me :p

Right now, i am using a computer with pro tools on it, and a MBOX for line in STuff (saving up for some mics). I have to use my line 6 spider combo as an amp modeler, but when i hear it in the play back (after recording) the distortion sounds thin, and very muddy. I can tell when the low E is palm muted, especially. Is there anyway i can make it more chunky, and defined? Or do i just have to save up and mic my 5150? Im sorry if this is the wrong section, if it is please move it. Thanks in advance for your help. As you can tell, i am new to recording, so any knowledge is good knowledge for me :)

Sonixx said:
clip......

Im sorry, I dont have a modem hooked up to my recording computer, so i am unable to give you guys a clip, which is probably what you need.

I have the distortion low- way lower than if im going to jam. I can probably compress the tracks more and add some gain in the mix, but i dont know how to do that yet. More reading :D

Download the massey vt3 eq, you can use an almost full version for free and I've found it to be pretty amazing on some older solid state stuff I recorded. But honestly you may not really be happy until you start mic'ing your amp.

jonnyc said:
Download the massey vt3 eq, you can use an almost full version for free and I've found it to be pretty amazing on some older solid state stuff I recorded. But honestly you may not really be happy until you start mic'ing your amp.

Don't suppose there's a PC version?

Are you using the line out on the amp? If so, then you're going to need some sort of speaker simulation. I use speaker cabinet impulse files, which is basically a map of how a speaker sounds. In order to use them, you need a convolution plugin. I use SIR and impulse files from Keiffer . Load the plugin onto your guitar track, pick out an impulse file from within the plugin and you should be all set. One thing to note is that there is considerable lag with the plugin so it's not advised to try and use it live. However, if your software has latency compensation (most do) then you should be set. You'll just have to record without the plugin on.

Back