First electric guitar help.

JakJak

Im a guitarist and singer.
I already have two acoustic guitars, an Epiphone and an Eastwood.
However I want to now experiment with the electric.

Im not sure what to start off with- im looking for an 'Arcade Fire' type sound.
I guess it should be around the £150 mark, no more.
Also what cables/amps are best for a reasonable price.

Cheers,
Jack

Ibanez GAX30, perfectly decent starter electric, cheap as chips, Fender Mustang amp, also cheap and decent. :)

Squiers can be a good value. Pacifica's, too. I'd go up-market a step or two from the Affinity Squiers, though.

That's about $250 USD. Yeah, I'd agree, Mexi Strats are great values compared to a US, and certainly better guitars than Squires- but if your budget will only allow 250 US, I know from experience, a Squire Standard Strat is a pretty guitar. Not arguing with you, Sirnothingness, just sayin'.

The new Standard Strats are a little nicer than they used to be. This would be a really good starter guitar. So much you can do with it. Down the line you could change pick ups, tremolo etc. I have always said I would rather have an average guitar with a great amp verses the other way around. So, hold out for the average guitar and above average amp if you can. You can't really tell you're playing a cheap guitar through a nice amp. But you could play a custom PRS through a cheap little amp and never be satisfied with the sound.

The average guitar/good amp advise is intriguing. Can't say anything against it, although I never intentionally did it that way.

If you do get a cheap amp, by all means, buy used. They hardly ever go out, and you can sell it 6-12 months later for what you paid for it. Somehow, I keep getting little 15-watt Fender and Peavey practice amps- i lose track of where they come from, it's like they follow me home like puppies. I sell 'em for $40, never ask more (well, occasionally I ask $50,) never take less. They sell within two days.

Thanks for the advice guys.
Im now pondering over the squier telecaster's,
They go for about £150 and they look good.

I'd go for a Pacifica over a Squier Tele. In terms of build-quality they're more than a step-above and the humbucker will give you that little bit more flexibility.

I was gonna say Mexi-Tele but I don't know what Arcade Fire sounds like. Teles are pretty versatile and the Mexicans ain't horrible. Buy used be even cheaper. Should be plenty around.

lou

Go to your local pawn shop or music store and try a few guitars out.No one can tell you what to buy or what will feel comfortable to you.Most pawn shops would have a few decent amps to play through too but not always.There's plenty of used budget fine quality guitars out there.Try a few out,get a feel for a few different types.I play ibanez guitars and i've always thought they made pretty good guitars at a decent cost ,while not sacrificing playability.You can always upgrade pick ups later to change up your tone.

Try the cheap Ibanez GIO series. I messed around with a few of them in local guitar shops and was quite impressed with the value for money. With a proper set up they are pretty versatile. A GRX20Z can be had for around 150 USD. That should be around £95. Won't break the bank yet sounds good enough to do some modest home recording with.

Thanks for the advice but I think the GRX20Z looks a bit too heavy rock for me.
The Squier Tele looks about right.

Thanks for the advice but I think the GRX20Z looks a bit too heavy rock for me.
The Squier Tele looks about right.

Try as many as you can and be mindful of the fretwork. Also, check the finish around the body/neck join.

Back