Fender Mustang or Jaguar?

Niall Condon

I really like the in Utero guitar tone, I have fallen in love with both guitars but I dont know which to buy.
Im considering the KC Jaguar or Mustang, but I dont really like buying custom guitars.
I need some advice from someone who has both and plays alternate rock (Nine Inch Nails, Nirvana, REM, Pixies etc)
Thanks

I love my Jaguar, much more striking guitar than the Mustang. Needs a Mustang or tune-o-matic bridge, though. In any case, you'll be using 'buckers in it so it wouldn't sound like a Jag anyway. :)

I would get the mustang with a super distortion humbucker if you're trying to get the In Utero sound. I have the Jagstang with a super distortion and it has the sound you're describing, it just doesnt feel the way I want a guitar to feel. My buddy has a mustang with the original single coils and it sounds thin. Get the KC edition IMO. If you're looking for the NIN sound or Pixies then that is going to be a little tricky to get on that suits all. Pixies use Jazzmasters or Jaguars and NIN uses Les Paul or dean, even Parker Fly. ALthough Aaron North would use a Hagstrom III which I have as well and sounds a lot like a Jaguar or Strat. So really there is no one size fits all sound and that is why I suggest the KC Mustang.

I would get the mustang with a super distortion humbucker if you're trying to get the In Utero sound. I have the Jagstang with a super distortion and it has the sound you're describing, it just doesnt feel the way I want a guitar to feel. My buddy has a mustang with the original single coils and it sounds thin. Get the KC edition IMO. If you're looking for the NIN sound or Pixies then that is going to be a little tricky to get on that suits all. Pixies use Jazzmasters or Jaguars and NIN uses Les Paul or dean, even Parker Fly. ALthough Aaron North would use a Hagstrom III which I have as well and sounds a lot like a Jaguar or Strat. So really there is no one size fits all sound and that is why I suggest the KC Mustang.

Since when have Pixies used Jags and Jazzmasters? Back in the day Frank used a tele and Joey used a Les Paul.

Since when have Pixies used Jags and Jazzmasters? Back in the day Frank used a tele and Joey used a Les Paul.
Im sorry the video I saw Charles was playing a Jaguar I believe. I do see that they play both of your listed guitars though.

If it were me i'd get the Jag. They sound a little more aggressive to me and I like the bigger body. The mustang always felt a little small.

The pixies use everything...I've seen them with JMs, but mostly other stuff. Now a lot of their peers (dinosaur jr, sonic youth) use JMs and Jags.

Get two guitars and enjoy the sound. Take one now and other a little later:listeningmusic:
What could be better than that?:)

Back