5 string bass question...

Kingofpain678

Returned from the dead
I acquired a cheapo five string bass some time ago and I gotta admit, I love it. The bass hasn't seen many recording days but I'm hoping to change that ASAP.
So here's my problem, I've noticed that when I'm playing on the E, A, D, and G strings everything seems and sounds fine but when I switch to playing the low B string the bass frequencies explode into a boomy/muddy mess. The sound becomes unintelligible so even if I record the four upper strings perfectly, the whole sound gets screwed up if I go down to the low B.
Now, If I turn the split coil neck pickup down a little bit, the low B sounds fine but then the upper four strings sound bare and lacking in the bass frequencies.
I've never changed my strings and I change tunings some what often so the stock strings have to be worn out by now...
My question is this, is it normal for a 5 string bass to do that? if not could it be my pickups? could it be my crappy strings? could it be a combination of my pickups and strings?
Any tips? If I just slap a multiband limiter on the lower frequencies of the bass track will that even the lows out?

:confused::(

Not normal, but typical. Change the strings, get a setup, ask tech to check volume problems. About $28 -60, depending on how much work is needed.

No, more like making sure the pickups are in the right positions and levels. It should be included in the setup, unless there is a major problem. But I doubt that. You describe a common problem. Go to GC and you find a lot of basses in the same boat.

No, more like making sure the pickups are in the right positions and levels. It should be included in the setup, unless there is a major problem. But I doubt that. You describe a common problem. Go to GC and you find a lot of basses in the same boat.

oh ok. Well cool, as long as it can be fixed/managed I'll be happy :)

Thanks, man ;)

I find a 34" scale is insufficient to put enough tension on a B sting such that it will play nice with the other four, you may be more sensitive to this, could be something else. You could try mis-matching, eg. get a set of .100s, and using a .120 or .125 for the B.

I think the strings on it would make the biggest difference.Usually the heavier strings will produce the heavier tones with more bottom end so maybe a mixed set like suggested above.I'm sure there's more than one option for five string bass string packs.

I'm not much of a bass player though so take my advice with a grain of salt.Since i bought a 4 string bass for recording i havn't changed the strings yet.I couldn't tell you what's even on the bass.My buddy i bought it from let his bassist use it for a few shows and he had put new strings on it.

I only recorded one song with it so far.I plan on buying new strings but i have no idea what gauge will feel best for me.I'm having a hard time with my short wimpy fingers playing the dang thing.

I want good bass tone but i may need a lighter gauge of strings for better playability and performance.

Strings, set up and the right touch. The B string is a different sort of beast, I don't normally compress my tracks for recording but when I play 5 string it always has compression.

I find a 34" scale is insufficient to put enough tension on a B sting such that it will play nice with the other four, you may be more sensitive to this, could be something else. You could try mis-matching, eg. get a set of .100s, and using a .120 or .125 for the B.
This!!!

Even high-end 5 strings exhibit a bit of what you describe.

The B string just kind of flaps around. Some of the really good bassists I know have a distinct style that includes a gentler touch on the B except when they specifically want the emphasis.

My Lakland 5 string has a 35" scale and the B string is so punchy sounding compared to my 34" scale 6 string. The 6 is pretty decent but the Lakland has a great B.
New strings will help as well as maybe raising the action a little. Getting it off the fret board a little might help it ring better and make it seem a little less flabby. Also getting the string slightly farther from the pick up will help a little with the clarity.
Playing closer to the bridge may help as well.

Ditto on this.

Cheers,
FM

+1

You only get a good B string sound with a good 5 string bass and good quality strings.

I have a Ibanez BTB 5 string with a 35" scale length and Elixir strings (which came standard), this is the best value for money 5 string on the market. The B sounds awesome on recordings, I bought it after I was recording an album for a band and the bass player had one, it sounded so good.

I just wish they made a Fretless version.

Alan.

It kind of depends. I've played a (very) few cheap 5-strings that actually sounded quite decent when set up correctly, though new pickups would probably help.

That said, I own a very nice 5-string with a 35" scale, and even then the response on the low B isn't quite the same as the E above it. The attack is a little less defined... Strangely, it seems like less of an issue recorded than when I'm just playing it and listening.

(The strings ARE pretty old, though - Elixirs that are probably almost 3 years old).

EDIT - the other thing you might want to look at... How does the string angle at the nut and at the bridge on the low B compare to the E? Even just putting a couple more winds on the tuning peg to increase the string angle might make a positive difference in getting a more piano-like attack.

OOOOOOOo...

That's Great advice!!! I'll get on that right away!!

... Look, when i've got enough extra money lying around to where I feel that I can afford to just buy extra high end basses to have lying around whenever I please, we'll talk. But for now I gotta work with what I have...
Good advice though, really :rolleyes:

EDIT - the other thing you might want to look at... How does the string angle at the nut and at the bridge on the low B compare to the E? Even just putting a couple more winds on the tuning peg to increase the string angle might make a positive difference in getting a more piano-like attack.

That seems like good advice. I would imagine that mixing up string gauges, getting a proper set-up and using your advice should do the trick...
I suppose I'll find out.

That seems like good advice. I would imagine that mixing up string gauges, getting a proper set-up and using your advice should do the trick...
I suppose I'll find out.

It's not really a "trick" per se, and if you already have adequate string angle then you're not going to hear a difference, but it's a potential problem.

What IS this "cheapo" bass, anyway? My first 5 string was a Squier P-Bass, and it wasn't great, but looking back at it the biggest problems with my recorded bass tone back then was NOT the bass. :lol:

+1

You only get a good B string sound with a good 5 string bass and good quality strings.

I have a Ibanez BTB 5 string with a 35" scale length and Elixir strings (which came standard), this is the best value for money 5 string on the market. The B sounds awesome on recordings, I bought it after I was recording an album for a band and the bass player had one, it sounded so good.

I just wish they made a Fretless version.

Alan.
I've a cheapo (SX) 5ver and a reasonable price 5ver (Conklin). The B on both are good. The secret was a good setup. Fixes most problems.

It's not really a "trick" per se, and if you already have adequate string angle then you're not going to hear a difference, but it's a potential problem.

What IS this "cheapo" bass, anyway? My first 5 string was a Squier P-Bass, and it wasn't great, but looking back at it the biggest problems with my recorded bass tone back then was NOT the bass. :lol:

It's a Rogue bass guitar.
Rogue is about as cheap as cheap gets, but I wanted a 5 string for recording and I didn't have a bass at the time and I mean... for bass I didn't think it could have been that bad. I like the feel of it, I like the way it plays, it's just the low B bass frequencies that bug me.
I've fiddled with a few things such as pick up height and what not and it's already starting to sound better so I'm sure that by using a few of the other tips provided in this thread I should be able to get those bass frequencies under control.

Back