Using my iPad in the studio

DigitalSmigital

A slice of analog pie?
By studio, I mean the empty bedroom:D

logipad-1.jpg

Using an app called AirDisplay you can use the iPad as a portable 2nd monitor. Here I have the input controls and transport bar on the iPad so you can carry it to the drums or wherever and control Logic from there.

Sweet! Carry on...

That is pretty cool.

I suppose you probably couldn't get too clever with that idea before latency started causing problems, could you?

That is pretty cool.

I suppose you probably couldn't get too clever with that idea before latency started causing problems, could you?

Well, as it is really only a wi-fi connected remote control, it doesn't have any inputs that I could use where latency during recording would be an issue. And the interface in Logic allows you to separate pretty much every tool into it's own window, which can then be dragged onto the iPad. Like that scene at the beginning of Avatar. (that's a beautiful brain!) so playback latency is not an issue either. And wi-fi connections are really fast nowadays anyways. The SMPTE counter flies at the same speed as the one on the mac. But the ability to set up the existing inputs and route the signal and press record from behind the drum kit or another room is pretty cool.;)

I set up one a couple of months ago using the Team Viewer App.
I was just using it to control the DAW remotely.
The problem with the ipad is I need another as my wife has won't
put it down long enough for me to snag it.

Check out the new Tape Op mag, arrived yesterday, for an interesting article about the future of iPad recording.

Nice! I'm on it...

I've been bumming out on the iPad so far, but this has promise. I had been using the remote control to start/stop Logic, but I'm having line-of-sight issues with my new setup, and even when it works, the remote doesn't give visual feedback as to the state of Logic (I just relied on the metronome in the headphones to know it was going).

Can't wait for tape-op now - I don't have it yet - hopefully today.

Back