Need New Head phones..

lyricalcharms

Made Man 4 Life
so since 2002 i been using Sony's MDR-7506 for my artists who come into the studio... amazingly they have lasted this long, and just now took a dive, (foam coverings wont stay on n e more).

Honeslty I would like to pick up a pair of head phones that would do a better job at holding music in, and not get on the microphone too much when i turn the head phones up. i guess phones that will do a better job of isolating the sound to the listerner, is a better way to explain it. :)

also i would like to stick around the same price as well. ($99) any suggestions??

I've really liked the newer Audio Technica ATH-M50 phones for tracking and just listening. They run @$110 or so from e-bay merchants.

If you just want tracking phones that aren't too expensive ($30) and that isolate pretty well, look at the MoreMe phones that Harvey Gerst sells. Not the best "sounding" phones, but perfectly adequate for tracking and not much of a loss if the talent trashes them. http://www.itrstudio.com/moreme.html

hmm... now that i think about it, the only other time i use headphones is when im out on location capturing sound on a film shoot... maybe i should consider the ATH-M50's for that, and use my still recently new snoy's for the studio again... cause i still like giving the artists a great audio representation thru the headphones, but at the same time, i cant spend more on them then for myself, hahahahaha.

what u think?

I use Audio Technica ATH-M50 phones for tracking and for testing mixes. I don't think I could find a better set of cans for these particular applications. Since I only have a small home studio, I really can't comment on how they would work for professional talent in a real recording enviornment. But, they more than meet my needs.

I got 2 sets of AKG Studio 240's, they were $99 ea. I never had any problems with it getting in the mic. I wish I could say the same for the AC, kids, cat, and crickets!

I've got a couple pairs of the Senn pro 280's and have been pretty happy with them on the sound and the iso.

My Senn 280s have done a good job isolating sound during tracking and playback and have been reliable for nearly six years. They're great closed cans for the price, but I recently picked up a pair of of the ATH-M50s and would agree that they're a clear step up in sound from the Senns. Since they're a bit looser to wear, the isolation may not be quite as good as the Senns, but I've had no probs. If you're interested, I recently posted a review of the ATs here:
http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=97187&page=3

I cannot sing the praises of the Ultrasone HFI-450s enough. They have angled drivers so they use your ears natural way of hearing more rather than shooting sound right into your ear canal.

hands down the Sony MDR-V6 headphones. The only ones with metal so they don't break, foldable, insane and CLEAR frequency response (8hz-30khz) so you can really feel it in those sub sonic frequencies.
About $100 in my opinion they're the best ones out there
only catch is they're a LITTLE bit trickier to find then your average headphones
amazon still carries them i believe but I got a pair on craigslist

Back