Mixer With 8 Direct Outs

I use an Alesis 12R with has 8 mic inputs and I use the inserts as direct outs, I like it. I got the old model around 250$. under $300 is a more reasonable request of a 8 channel mixer. You may want to try the new line of yamahas and the M-series soundcrafts, those are both cheap and get good reviews by members here.

free_d20 said:
p.s. the cheaper, the better. i dont mind using behringer equipment.

Good grief!!

Just because a particular unit is cheap, it does not alone mean it's a quality piece of equipment. You may save X-amount of dollars compared to another product's in it's category,but in the long run, one will realize the limitations of that particular unit and wished they would have saved a few $$$ more obtaining that item that would afford better perf and quality. Especially when it comes to Behringer.

So, the inserts work the same as direct outs, or is this just a way to get around? so if a mixer has in the back 8 inserts, instead of 8 DI´s, it will work? i think that would simplify things.

by the way, i just dont like kiddin myself, if i cant afford over $250 i aint gonna fool myself!! with the DSP2000 soundcard on its way thats already around $470+. i guess behringer has an appealing crowd, and that would be broke youngsters such as me.

the instert thing will work too. I bought a MX2642 Behringer mixer (smallest with direct outs) but within the second year two channel died on me :((

btw I'm using a DSP2000 as well, and i'm ebaying for a second one, I like those things. the pre's on the DSP2000 are better than the behringer ones, even though they're not really good- anything outboard will outperform them.

Next on the wish list are some new mics and then I'll start into the preamp-shopping-thing.

Herwig

M8 is gonna be around $550- $600- probably a bit over your price range- but Im very happy with mine (and the behringer became a headphone mixer)

That Yamaha mixer is a good suggestion, I'd take that any day over a Behringer mixer. I've checked them out and the Yamaha's are really pretty decent for the price. My brother has that Carvin mixer and I thought it was noisy, I wasn't that impressed with it. I don't think you can do better than the yamaha for under $300, that is, for new gear.

The other option is to find a Mackie CR 1604 used. I'm not sure what they are running these days, but it would be around that price point, and they do have 8 true direct outs. It's a solid mixer.

The first one would. Technically, the 2nd one would too, because it has 6 ins & outs, and the C-Port has 2 built-in mic pre's (I own one myself). The built-in pre's aren't so hot though - not much headroom and they break up if you need to add a lot of gain.

You might want to look at the M-Port too - it's basically a C-Port with built-in pre's and balanced inputs (check out the pre's first though - I'm not sure if they're the same as the 2 on the C-Port).

I know i"m gonna get pounded for this, but...
...I love my Behringer UB1832 pro mixer. For $250 it's a lot of bang for the buck, and quiet as a mouse. I know Behringer is hit or miss, and I wouldn't suggest Behringer if you were looking for top end with a nice size budget, but the UB series of mixers are nice. If you are lookng for under $300, and the budget says you need a lot for a little...it's worth checking out.:cool:

oooooooo.... you said the "B" word. I'm tellin! :)

Actually, I started off with a Beh 8 channel mixer. It wasn't as bad as everybody said it was. I've heard stories about them falling apart, but mine seemed to be pretty tough - never any reliability problems, and it was quiet as a mouse. The "discreet" pre's were what I didn't like - they weren't very discreet if I needed to add a significant amount of gain, or if I was running condensers. Short of that, it was just fine with most of my dynamics (not "great", just "fine").

If you get the ADA 8000 you should make sure you have a sound card that has an ADAT lightpipe input. Since the ADA 8000 has the converters, there's not a lot of sense in paying for them again in the sound card. So maybe there's a soundcard out there with a couple AD/DA converters, plus ADAT lightpipe input? That would work well with the ADA 8000. Or maybe a digital mixer with an ADAT input.

Alesis the maker of the ADAT recorder has an interface using fiber optic signal that transfers 8 channels of audio plus some sync info. Many other pieces of equipment have gone to this interface and its become one of the more or less standard digital multitrack standards.

I have used it here for ADAT to PC transfers and also on one of my hard disk recorders. Several mixing board makers offer it as a standard component or as an add on interface.

whoa. this mixer/splitter is EXACTLY what i was thinking about last night... Anyone else make something like this? Preferably with digital in/out like the Beh?

Back