Not a topic about who is your favorite drummer.

I only know 3 drummers, Greg, Rami, and this silverback that drums for Phil Collins (skip to :50):

Weird ad for chocolate. :D

I feel somewhat foolish - answering the original post with a serious answer (after getting a laugh from several of the other replies).

My idea of the ideal drummer - certainly the lofty goal I would hope to aim for myself (and certainly fall short):

Buddy Rich - For pure technical skill, speed and fluidity
Neil Peart - For creative application of percusion
Zigaboo Modeliste (drummer for the Meters) - For groove, feel and funk

Dave Grohl, Jack White, Bob Bryar (Rock/Hard rock/grunge, blues/punk, marching/orchestral/alternative rock).

I would go for Bill Bruford, Stewart Copeland and John Stevens and my second choice would be Billy Cobham in his Mahavishnu phase, Lenny White in his Return to forever phase and Thom Mooney from Nazz. My third choice would be a predictable hard rock drummer with jazzy/inventive chops, Ian Paice, Bill Ward and John Bonham. Then if all 3 couldn't make the gig, I'd request Phil Ehart, Neil Peart and Tony Williams.
I try to cover all eventualities !

Interesting idea:

MIKE PORTNOY
Dream Theater / various projects : For his feet (my footwork sucks on drums) and overall creativity.

MARK ZONDER
Fates Warning / Slavior: For his ability to be busy up top, but somehow make it subtle.

CARTER BEAUFORD
Dave Matthews: Groove and hi-hat work (How does he do that stuff?)

Now I'm starting to feel like Frankenstein ! So I'm going to throw in Bobby Caldwell {his drumming on the debut albums by Captain Beyond and Armageddon is dynamic, dominant, daring and deep}, Jon Hiseman during his Colosseum, Colosseum 2 and Paraphenalia phase and Liam Genockey in his Trevor Watts String ensemble, Moire music and Amalgam phase.
This Frankenstein creation is sheer heart attack !

Kerim Lechner, John Longstreth, and Mike Mangini.

Edit: I am no where near the skill of any of these 3, not by a giant landslide.

Back