Meinl Cymbals

mtx records

I'm thinking about getting a full set of Meinl Soundcaster Cymbals which includes a a pair of 14" hi hats , 16" medium Crash , 17" Medium crash, 20" Powerful Ride, 18" China. would this be good? i have heard the sound clips on the website but iwas just wondering if any1 on here has had an experience with them?

I had Jason Bittner in hear around Christmas. He uses those. His cymbals are really fast. They seem kind of clangy in the room but they mic up really well.

Only thing I like from Meinl is the Filter China. It sounds funky, and it's great for hard/prog. rock accents. Otherwise, I don't like their stuff. However, Thomas Lang uses them....but I think he gets custom-made, expensive Meinl cymbals.

Only thing I like the Meinl's for, are playing the crashes like you'd play a hihat part. The 14" and 16" crashes I have played all had really fast decays and didn't muddy up the sound even after prolonged playing right on the cymbals edge.

I've always pronounced it "My Nil". But I'm pretty much a retard at pronouncing names unless I'm strictly dealing with the likes of Bobs and Steves.

Farview said:
I had Jason Bittner in hear around Christmas. He uses those. His cymbals are really fast. They seem kind of clangy in the room but they mic up really well.
???????? jason bittner in your studio?

Farview said:
Yup.

http://www.farviewrecording.com/html/farview_in_action1.html

Everybody who's cool enough comes here. What kind of operation do you think I'm running? ;)

Jesus he must be a really tiny guy! I met Charlie Benante in the early 90's, and was barely even as tall as my armpit! They were on the Sound of White Noise tour, and the band came into a restaurant that I worked in to eat. All of them were TINY little guys.

Tim

Last edited:
PhilGood said:
The old Raker series kicked ass!!

Yeah the rakers were good. Remember the Lazer or Profile series? (Profile had a dragon on it I think - they sounded like 2002's.)

Tim

Last edited:
Most actual rock stars are tiny people. The large black man in the pictures is my size (6 foot 4) for height reference.

Farview said:
Most actual rock stars are tiny people. The large black man in the pictures is my size (6 foot 4) for height reference.

btw, You've got a killer set up man.

So, what do you use the DA-88's and DA-38's for? Are you running them as backups?
I've got DA-38's, but we're going to be making the jump to a PC within the next year- probably Nuendo. A friend of mine is a producer (he had 40+ #1 releases) and that's what he's using. He said he just didn't want to get into the whole ProTools thing. I'm not sure what kind of Interface he's using to get into the PC, but he's also using a Ghost - but he doesn't have the MIDI options.... Actually, i'm not sure if he's even using the Ghost - he was using it when he was using the ADATs, unless the ADATS are 24-bit models...I don't know.

I do know he's recording in 24-bit on the PC though.

Tim

The Tascams are left over from before I went with Nuendo. For a short while, I was using them as a front end to Nuendo. ( I would record to both because i didn't trust the computer at first). Now, in my downtime, I am backing old projects off of the tape and on to hard drives and DVD's.

If I had it to do over again, I would go with Cubase. Unless you do a lot of video or 7.1 surround, Nuendo is 3X the price for a bunch of stuff you will never use. Cubase SX is exactly the same, audio-wise.

Once you get out of the linear mindset of tape, it will open up a whole new world.

Back