how do you know if your a professional drummer?

hey guys, this is not for me, i got a friend named chad and he's an awsome drummer, but i dont know if i'd call him pro. i mean i would and so would alot of other people, but i was just wondering...is there any kinda standerds out there that some one would have to meet to be able to call them selves "professional"? i personally think it's a mixure of experiance and playin skills, but if that's the case then how much experiance and playing skills would you have to have before you reached pro level? i mean this dude is good, he can play anything that travis barker does just about, sorry if this seems like a dumb question but i was just wondering. thanks guys

Last edited:
The primary definition of professional is someone who does something as a profession (a job). If he gets paid to be a drummer, he's a professional drummer no matter how bad he might be. If he just jams with his friends, he isn't. If he does gigs at the local club with his friends for a cut of the door... could go either way.

Personally, I try to avoid the word professional; most of the people I've seen who describe themselves as a professional at something suck at it....

Unfortunately, being a pro is not a measure of aptitude, it's how you make a living.

Bottom line - does it pay the bills?

When there's drool coming out of both sides of your mouth. :D

I've always felt the lines were relatively clear.

Professional musician - Earns a living performing, recording. teaching, etc (it is hard to earn a living solely from performing)

Semi-Professional musician - Receives pay on a relatively frequent basis. As an example, gigs 2 nights per week at $100 per night - but not enough to earn a living)

Hobby musician - Plays on own or with friends (jams) or records with no pay involved (or so little pay as to be inconsequencial).

As already indicated, being a professional is not a guarentee that the drummer is "good" - although someone thinks the person is good, since he is being paid. A professional can be anyone from someone who tours internationally to someone that stays local. I know seveal musicians who support themselves exclusively with local work, although it is normally easier for people who can pick up a few solo gigs during the week (which eliminates all but the most creative drummers ;) )

RezN8 said:

When there's drool coming out of both sides of your mouth. :D

No, that's how you know when the drum riser is level.

I always thought it was after you no longer had to get the first round in

otherwise if you take your living from it you're professional.....................as mx_mx said it doesn't necceserally mean thr pro is good tho.....

fuck sake a poet

Back