Why I won't buy the Tascam 2488

Status
Not open for further replies.

We all have our own priorities, goals and standards. The 2488 and other recording platforms like it do nothing to further mine. As always, YMMV. ;)

(How's that for being diplomatic?!?!);)

convert someone to Analog or Digital if that someone is not open to the idea. In my mind, it just wastes time and energy.

It was never my intention to "convert" anybody from analog to digital. "Introduce" would be a more appropriate word. It's more about choice than keeping with standards either way.

As far as wasting time and energy is concerned, for me, wasting time and energy would be never attempting to improve the sonic landscapes of my recorded music whether using analog for vocals, drums, or any other instrument that contributes to superior results. It's not an all or nothing scenario.

Again, whatever it takes to deliver results within the constraints of your oun time and money budgets , analog or digital or a combination of both, is what I've always advocated.

Diplomacy is not an option when it comes to producing a work of art. Never compromise your artistic values for the sake of argument. If you insist that you can do without employing the use of new technological advances in recording, then too, will you also do well without the fire and inspiration necessary to execute your most passionate musical concepts.

Good to hear from you again Daniel. You've always chimed in with a great sense of fairness. :)

Last edited:
REEL's ......2488 Thread: precursor to the 4888?

i don't know about anything other than home recording stuff,
but i can't even begin to compare the beauty of having all these
extra Tracks and the Ease of using this unit.
24 tracks... ~$1,100... is the 48track coming?

i been working on another tune, and it's so enjoyable...
no more stopping and having to "bounce/reduce" in the middle
of a groove...fabulous.

i can always complain if needed too. :)

Thread required "what i don't like" of 2488:
1) i can't flip the tape over and get backwards guitar sounds.
2) didn't fix my old bad habits of recording (work in progress)
3) can't blame my noisy crap hiss-garbled sound on the digi-box as i used to on cassettes....
*** no i probably won't ever use the 250 virtual tracks, knowingly.

I think I actually made it to 12 Tracks the other day...i can't remember, it's
been a blurr lately..... geez..I swear the clock has sped up recently.
i'm recording at 7pm, turn around and it's Midnight!!! dammnit.

From an old 144 user, 2488 for the same price, is alright in my book.
hell, let's be honest it's friggkin awesome in comparison!

Yeah,... all you 24-bit/24-track guys,... your 15 minutes are up!

You and your wonderbox has now been obsoleted! :eek:

Meet: the Tascam X48 DAW!!

:eek:

Attachments

• Tascam X48a.jpg
    Tascam X48a.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 33
Not that easy to get around on

A Reel Person said:
You and your wonderbox has now been obsoleted! :eek:

Meet: the Tascam X48 DAW!!

:eek:

She really is a thing-O-beauty. Ain't she guys? :o
Ofcourse you know how much else you'll need to get this baby off the ground don't you?

Product Overview & Specs

Tascam X48 Hybrid Hard Disk Workstation

The X48 boasts 96kHz/24-bit recording across all 48 tracks and 192kHz across 24 tracks. Its file compatibility and synchronization surpass even the TEC Award-winning MX-2424, with Broadcast WAVE and OMF import and export for compatibility with workstations like Pro Tools®. Support for FireWire hard drives and Gigabit Ethernet allows simple transfer between systems, making it the ultimate multitrack solution for high-quality music, post and live recording applications.

Multitrack Recording Features

48-track digital recording at up to 96kHz/24-bit
24-track recording at 192kHz/24-bit
32-bit floating point audio file recording and playback with no loss of track count
Advanced integrated synchronization and machine control, including HDTV tri-level sync
Time-stamped Broadcast WAVE file format
Front-panel transport, track arming, project management and metering functions
Built-in 80GB hard drive
Built-in DVD+RW for backup, transfer and restore
±12.5% varispeed
Grid-style editing

Workstation/Mixing Features

Turn-key operation: no software conflicts to troubleshoot
Graphic user interface for editing, mixing, plug-ins and meters
48-channel mixing at 96kHz / 24 channels at 192kHz
32-bit floating point mixer resolution
6 stereo returns (60 inputs at mixdown)
24 busses, 6 aux sends, stereo master buss
Full dynamic automation
Dynamics, 4-band parametric EQ and 4 VST plug-in inserts per channel

Rear Panel Connections

48 TDIF Digital Inputs and Outputs
Stereo S/PDIF On and Out
(2) 24-channel option slots support analog, ADAT or AES/EBU expansion cards
BNC Video In and Thru, auto-terminating
BNC Word Clock In, Out and Thru, autoterminating
MIDI In and Out
TRS balanced 1/4" SMPTE In and Out
1/4" Footswitch Input
RS-422 (Sony 9-pin) Remote Input, also supports the RC-2424 remote
PS/2 Mouse and Keyboard Inputs
VGA Output
Gigabit Ethernet for FTP and drive sharing
4 USB ports for external hard drive support
2 FireWire ports for external hard drive expansion :eek: :confused: :p :mad: :eek:
Oh yea, Where's the six month night courses promised to purchasers to help them with the learning curve?

Screen, batteries and key pad not included :D

Last edited:
BMWerks said:
Of course you know how much else you'll need to get this baby off the ground don't you?
...Screen, batteries and key pad not included :D

Yep! Also none of those knob/fader/button thingies included, either! It's all "mix-in-the-box" (puter), unless you want to pop for an additional Tascam US-2400 or FW-1884!

A Reel Person said:
Yep! Also none of those knob/fader/button thingies included, either! It's all "mix-in-the-box" (puter), unless you want to pop for an additional Tascam US-2400 or FW-1884!

No thanx Dave. Rather keep my 11 hundred dollar 2488 cuz I can get around on it nicely now. 4 grand is out of the question for me even though I could put this gal through the paces. :o

A Reel Person said:
Yeah, that! :eek:

Can't wait for Yamaha and Roland to make their moves! This is getting to be a great show!!!

I'll just stand here at the side lines and be entertained by the corporate competitions. They may never have to sell a piece of merchandise. The tax payers will flip the bill for the show!!!!

Yeah, I'm amused by it, too.

Roland and Yamaha will surely answer with their own upgraded devices or new designs,... and let's not forget the red headed stepchild: Fostex!

I probably won't buy any of it, either. Heck, I'm barely starting to warm up to the 788! Ah,... naaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh! I'll pass! :eek:

THREAD 3,0045: REEL has 1232 Tracks Analog total

what the hell do you do with a 96 track unit?? 6560khz/2000bit
i mean 3 mics on each string?? 12 mics on the snare drum??

how would the MixEngineer keep track of the tracks??? :eek:

"now was that shaker on track 46 or was it 57?hmmm, oh no?..
Track 59, track 43 was the one-time cymbal crash!! no..hmm, wait the one time cymbal crash was on track 74!not 47....yeah,yeah..the 6th rythm guitar overdub was on track 74, no, 88..wait, no,...hmmm"...fhk it ...
tracks 12 thru 18 were the vocals that broke up on verse 3..or was that verse 2 on tracks 5 and 18!!!???????

fhk it...I'll just have the computer software keep track & mix it!!
...i'll use the POP MUSIC BEATLES setting and press the MIX IT and BURN a CD icon.

back to the reality..
In my studio, the songwriter is still re-doing all the fhkng parts over and over, working a few new songs...the mix engineer doesn't really no wht the fhk he's doing and keeps using headphones which don't translate well....but it's late!! fhk!! he can't use monitors at 11pm in the house studio.doh!

I don't have a Mastering Engineer....
he quite, he said "I can't polish turds!!!" and walked out. he was never paid.

meanwhile the Tracking Engineer is learning & working with keeping it clean, dry, and trying to break old habits of EQing the crap out of everything and mushing it up from the start due to manipulating everything to sound good in the cans he wears while playing guitar.

This worked. KISS method...this proved to be true and translated to my metal traveling object audio verification system (car stereo).

the Tracking Engineer is the only one made any fhkng progress in the past month. thanks.

notes:
Part1)The performance is the #1 key, get a good groove down, build around it but just record/track it....KISS.
Part2) let the Mixing Engineer do the panning and eqing, reverb crap later.
Part3) let someone else Master the turd as they say.

Bitch: 2488 cannot swap verse A with verse B and does not have a MIX IT ALL PERFECT MASTERING NOW button.
and it can't play an acoustic guitar. :)

COOLCAT said:
what the hell do you do with a 96 track unit?? 6560khz/2000bit
i mean 3 mics on each string?? 12 mics on the snare drum??

how would the MixEngineer keep track of the tracks??? :eek:

"now was that shaker on track 46 or was it 57?hmmm, oh no?..
Track 59, track 43 was the one-time cymbal crash!! no..hmm, wait the one time cymbal crash was on track 74!not 47....yeah,yeah..the 6th rythm guitar overdub was on track 74, no, 88..wait, no,...hmmm"...fhk it ...
tracks 12 thru 18 were the vocals that broke up on verse 3..or was that verse 2 on tracks 5 and 18!!!???????

fhk it...I'll just have the computer software keep track & mix it!!
...i'll use the POP MUSIC BEATLES setting and press the MIX IT and BURN a CD icon.

back to the reality..
In my studio, the songwriter is still re-doing all the fhkng parts over and over, working a few new songs...the mix engineer doesn't really no wht the fhk he's doing and keeps using headphones which don't translate well....but it's late!! fhk!! he can't use monitors at 11pm in the house studio.doh!

I don't have a Mastering Engineer....
he quite, he said "I can't polish turds!!!" and walked out. he was never paid.

meanwhile the Tracking Engineer is learning & working with keeping it clean, dry, and trying to break old habits of EQing the crap out of everything and mushing it up from the start due to manipulating everything to sound good in the cans he wears while playing guitar.

This worked. KISS method...this proved to be true and translated to my metal traveling object audio verification system (car stereo).

the Tracking Engineer is the only one made any fhkng progress in the past month. thanks.

notes:
Part1)The performance is the #1 key, get a good groove down, build around it but just record/track it....KISS.
Part2) let the Mixing Engineer do the panning and eqing, reverb crap later.
Part3) let someone else Master the turd as they say.

Bitch: 2488 cannot swap verse A with verse B and does not have a MIX IT ALL PERFECT MASTERING NOW button.
and it can't play an acoustic guitar. :)

Cool. Cool? Cool!

I can't stop laffing>>..>>.>.>>..>>.....>>.>>>.......>>.>>..>>.... ; ;;::.. . .. Looks like you've Finally got it. Except, you can edit (cut and paste) and reverse B with verse A. You can actually virtually cut and paste anything recorded on any track and put it anywhere you freakin want man!

Just spend a little time with the editing blocks. Really. It's pretty easy and when you learn to edit stuff, you'll have one of these perminent :) 's on your face all the time.

Oh, BTW, that 48 tracker would require a great big monitor screen that shows all instruments and voices on screen along W/histories of everything recorded on the song or, album for that mater. At this point however, you'd be crazy not to document or

• on screen everything you track as you go. Otherwise it would be a definate nightmare. I'm still laffing>>..>A.>>..0..000..0H..0.00..A..000...0..0.>>.00H>>.0...)..)>..0>>.0.0000H...0A.>>.>.> (I've seen it done this way before.)

Last edited:
Tascam 2488sville...

Just spend a little time with the editing blocks. Really. It's pretty easy and when you learn to edit stuff, you'll have one of these perminent 's on your face all the time.
>>>>

dang, you must really "use" this 2488 to it's fullest.... great. appreciate the inputs big time.

so the editing is "easy"???? so far you been right 100%. I got to get to this stuff....

personally i like the slams once in awhile too... kinda gets one out of a rut somehow, when one starts obsessing over the monitor speaker type or is the compressor setting going to polish the turd... "2488 is just a fhkng TOOL!!!"
loved that one.

I don't like physically doing the edits as much as playing...but,
I like the concept. One can get really burnt out doing the same song over and over...even if its a decent song, you know.

oh.no one of my most encouraging things is to get you the CD with wav's...
I'm very appreciative to have some do a mix and let me know what was done and maybe why?

thing is i get playing and having so much fun..i run out of time!! serious.

Send the CDs

"I don't like physically doing the edits as much as playing..."

This is a good thing. Because, now I think you're truly involved with the "performance". You've got your priorities in order. Bravo Cool.

Sometimes I have to remind myself that I'm a musician FIRST and a recordist 2nd.
What's a "wav"? :confused:

"dang, you must really "use" this 2488 to it's fullest...."

I don't really. There's about 2/3rds in the box still I don't need, use or understand.
I'm a cheap SOB, did my homework on this unit before I bought it. Knew I was getting a lot of bang for my buck. It's a work in progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back