Why I won't buy the Tascam 2488

Status
Not open for further replies.
2488 is just a tool

you said it...
and those guys that are recording instead of meandering, no matter what gear their jammoin out on, is one step ahead of the pack.

HR is a nice "break area' and well...i just love it.

REEL whats up with the NWR cover thing? just caught the thread with acorn stalking too... my son started getting some stalker on the internet too.
we think its a friend just busting his balls, but not sure.
thats the issue taking sht too far, a joke is funny the furst time, but over and over...its trolls,stalking, irratating..whatever.

Music: Tracking the performance
i'm re-doing a procedural tracking thing, trying to merge my desire for more "groove= playing and singing same time" (that often lent to too many bluurps/timing moved? vocal..eek!)

TRACK
1) Dummy track- more time correct (metronome/kickdrum)
2+3) Dummy track- Acoustic + Vocal (keep some groove)
4) Add a acoustic rythm, tighten strumming and expand the landscape

Then I can add, and correct bad vocal notes.

5) Put down a Bass line
6) Start on some drum, basic
7+8) do a few percusion things
Basically try to get a nice tight rythm section with Main Vocal leading (determining were the filler spots will be needed).

a wise one once told me, let players each allow their couterparts to have their time in the front,

take turns...kinda like they teach in Kindergarden?

I was recording my sons band. none of them are listening to each other.
they were all stomping on each others beats...
they weren't taking turns....

you can learn from anything if you got the right mind set that day.

"you can learn from anything if you got the right mind set that day."

Then, I practiced "the right mind set" every day. Hey, a wise one once told me; "Your music is a direct reflection of your moral countenance" Not to bore anybody with philosophies on the fly but how you see and feel the world around you has an all encompassing affect and influence on your creative spirit. Point blank.

The REEL 2488 thread

no doubt on the philly -osephering...there Werks
i don't know how i see or feel right now
...but its been a bitch on this new tune.

i quickly threw it off the vox & acoustic.
then flipped on the 2488. (been awhile)
I got this piano hammering rythm going, thought alright...
then after a few overdubs and fillers...now the damn main Vox won't fit with the original melody?? poor preplanning? very strange..everythings in key and tuned but somehow the rythm/tempo went somewhere and the original vocal lines don't fit anymore??

very strange.
good news is i've been sticking to the "dry/clean..no eq while tracking" & it really has eliminated a lot of recording retake burnout.
starting to feel like a habit. got my brother doing this too, great when things work. no more trying to mix while tracking!! very sweet.
basically tracking in MONO, get the best Dry incoming...and move on to track 22!! yes.

2488... still not any QC issues. very happy.
still like the Joe Meek Channel strip tho...
reading a Vocal thread, doing dry and comp'd will be interesting.Motown or some sht.

mixes are transferring pretty good, dry. i still don't know about the mixing, especially when the track quantity goes up? frequency crowding or something too.

i did have a DISK FULL ERROR and had to delete unused stuff?
does this thing hold all the takes and retakes???
time to get doing some CD-R BACKUPs i guess!!! :rolleyes:

Productivity = save your work often

:"i did have a DISK FULL ERROR and had to delete unused stuff?
does this thing hold all the takes and retakes???
time to get doing some CD-R BACKUPs i guess!!!"

Right. Allways a good habit to get into. Save your work. Save it often. :o

And I try to think "dimention", Width X depth X hight when using most any type of FX. I love this box (2488) because I don't have to walk across the room to access my FX tools. All 24 bit resolution FX makes a big difference to me after using 16 bit. It's "creamier" sounding. You don't have to fight with it so much. I mean, you sort of get at the end what you put up in front of the mixes. Because the resoulution is higher, the verb tails tend not to get so "lost" or sound so thin and tinny. 32 bit is even finer and depending on how you use it, can raise the hair on your head and arms.

I still can't think of any reason why I wouldn't buy the Tascam 2488. :cool: :rolleyes: ;) ............. :p

Last edited:
This thread is REELS fault..he encouraged us to continue!

yes, no issues with the 2488. there's probably a million things I haven't even touched yet.
Tascam did accomplish making the HD user friendly.

I have some concern on the build aka, plastic.
I'd have to suggest getting extension cables for the INs and OUTs.
like a patch bay.
This will preserve the plastic, actual 2488 jacks.

like the headphone jack. plug in an extension cable and the units jack will remain near virgin.

easier to replace an extension cord than the units pcb jack!

dang, working on a 22 tracker!!... amazing. i wonder how big a 22 track back-up is??? 6 discs of wave. ???

Reel's 2,754,386,979th wutchamacallit

actual 2488 jacks. OO!!!!!........... Hear that Tascam?

Reels' responsible for sure. :p
He's probably secretly recording on his oun 2488 and won't tell anybody he bought one. :eek:

Yeah, they should have been made with some kind of Teflon coating or aluminium to resist scratches, scrapes and watch wearing. The dark grey ends and corners are getting scraped and funkie looking. Sucks. Wonder if they fired the guy whos idea it was to use paint. :confused: :o

Last edited:
He's a REEL Nowhere man

BMWerks Reels' responsible for sure. :p He's probably secretly recording on his oun 2488 and won't tell anybody he bought one. :eek: :confused: :o[/QUOTE said:
that's so funny I had tears in my eyes!! hahaha...great, nothing like a good chuckle.hehehe whoohoo!!! thank you. funny virtual visual?

where is REEL?? he came close a couple times to testdriving the 2488.all the NWRadio crap happened becasue that douchebag weasel had some head trip issues.

yes, the comment on the plastic-plugs is really for any equipment. i learned that form a LIVE sound guy...but it makes sense to "wear out " a cable instead of the units plug.
As far as painted plastic... strange? I mean gray plastic looks as good as grey painted plastic?

I must digress tho, I paid $1200 for the 144 4-track cassette. Then in 2005 I paid $1100 for 24track/24bit 2488...with all the functions, effects, phantom power...and a CD-R!!!!

I'm doing a backup today on my first 22track tune...the mixing just gets out of control....damn its like having to be a piano player with all the sliders! :eek:

Eh,... no, I've not bought the 2488 on the sly.

If/when I do, I'll surely tell'ya.

My NWR page was shut down over copyright & a troll who pursued that as a means of harassment. Lowlife tactic, for sure.

I've bought plenty of new/used gear, since my last post,... stuff I'll have to tell'ya about later! Got kids pulling on my arm. Bye! ;)

"Eh,... no, I've not bought the 2488 on the sly."

We knew that Reel. :p Hope that scumm bag gets whats comming to him. What goes around, comes around. :mad:

Looking forward to seeing your new gear up on my screen.

What say you Cool? :confused:

Too many tracks!

I'm doing a backup today on my first 22track tune...the mixing just gets out of control....damn its like having to be a piano player with all the sliders!

Take one step at a time. You know, one step forward and two steps back? Man! 22 tracks. Do you have different instruments and voices on ALL 22 tracks? What went on each of the tracks if you don't mind telling. (when you've got the time)

I have trouble using up 19 tracks. Must be from all those years of thinking "track economics". Now I've got all those "FREE" tracks, it's hard to get them all filled up!

Poor me... :(

REEL..good to hear from you!

hey REEL, good to hear your around..glad you could stop by your thread and say hello!!

yes...24 Tracks on the 2488...
most are standard stuff, but there are some filler percussion tracks...no bounce downs.
what the hell! its free tracking! why leave anything empty??

I just backed-up this 24track tune, A Hiuya Lava, and it was only 2 cd's this time..not 6??!! :)
Apparently its key for me to "delete unused" before backing up.

I'm a hopless cassette multi-tracker and still hit rewind and just record the take over, no editing, no slick copy/paste (yet!).

I recorded this wearing a Himalayan Lava Helmet from the 15th century.

basic layout.....
1- metronome,HiHat click
2- acoustic rythm 1
3- acoustic rythm 2
4- key rythm 1
5,6,7, 8- cymbals, snare,kick, drum rolls-fills
9- acoustic lead
10- acoustic filler
11- Keys rythm 2
12- B Vocal
13/14- Main Vocal
15/16- Cymbals
17/18- Percussion/shakers
19/20- Bass
21/22- Key fills
23/24- Stringed crap

i tried following the dry. clean approach.
metronome for tempo. everything just mic'd, tracked with no eq or panning.
seperate Vocal track to allow improving later. etc...
the mix was re-done a few times ~4 takes. some people mentioned "needs some shakers 2nd verse"..kinda stuff.

work in progress until i get burnt out on hearing it and will then need a new tune written to continue on the 2488 learning path!

i'll post the tune somewhere..NWR or something. :cool:
plan on sending the wav. for you to mix and note pan,eq etc,...

if a person can learn even one new thing from an exercise..
it's worth the time and effort, IMO.

BMWerks said:
We knew that Reel. :p Hope that scumm bag gets whats comming to him. What goes around, comes around. :mad:

Looking forward to seeing your new gear up on my screen.

What say you Cool? :confused:

Dave broke the law. Why should I "Get what is coming to me?"

I did not break the law. Dave attacked me first and none of you got your facts straight at all. Calling me a "scumbag" without knowing the facts just makes you totally enethical at the least. Just becasue Dave is your buddy, doesn't mean he is telling the whole truth about what happened.

acorec said:
You labelled me a troll for no reason. You called me an A-hole and went off on me because of what? You still don't quite get it and why you are a complete loser. So, try to learn and I will NOT shut down the other site that you post your recordings at. You break the law, and like all little girls, blame me?

You gotta be kidding.

You are a troll. You are an A-hole. I simply asked you why you're being such an A-hole, and you went off on me. I don't have any covers on any other site. You are the loser. Get your facts straight, then fuck off!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back