Who the hell is using Fostek!?!?!?!!?!?!?

-
I will give you (for better or worse) Pro tools has assumed the role of the de facto standard but, I find in my continued research of the products, there seem s to be a great deal of "Pro" guys that dislike it. Given that, I am puzzled as to how pro-tools continues to matain its market share when the user base seems to not be so supportive.

The reason is simple.

The musicians who pay for recording know the name pro tools. They are the one who ask for it.

Most pro studios have pro tools but I find if theres a 2" sitting there it is the usual tool used for recording with the recordings dumped into pro tools for editing and cleanup.

In the end they are all tools.

You have to respect pro tools for one thing and that is their business model and advertising startegy. It has made them the most common name out there for recording.

:D

As a Mix subscriber I read a lot about what the "pros" are using for label - major and indie - projects. ProTools is always mentioned but it's mentioned alongside Audition, Logic, Cubase, Sonar et.al. along with analog. ProTools may be ubiquitous, but I think it's due to the fact that it was one of the first to address the needs of the professionals. As someone else mentioned, it's just another tool. Obviously all these tools fill a need or address a situation in a useful way. If they didn't they wouldn't be in the marketplace as there would be no one using them.

I wouldn't want to use a crayon box with only one color of crayon in it. To limit oneself in such a way isn't for me, but may suit someone else just fine. And, of course, at times limitations can bring to fore resourcefulness which broadens ones expertise. Whatever works for you is good cause it's all good.

I would agree, though, that working in a digital environment has lead to less music being made in a linear fashion. What has been described as being detremental perhaps is, but there is also some very positive things that have come from it. Just my 2 and 1/2 cents worth.

its got a lot more to do with advertising, and their marketing arms like The Conservatory of Recording Arts. You will find many many many pros who will say it certainly doesn't adress their needs

I've got to say, I was relieved to read this post. I've been using the trusty old Fostex MR8 for two years now. The thing has taken a beating, and it shows no sign of quit. I've spilled beer on it, left it on for a week during a vacation in Florida, I've done live recordings in dozens of basements balancing the thing on milk crates and other claptrap where my baby is invariably knocked over by a a drunken weenis in corduroy pants or some aspiring Poison groupie. I even left it out on the street, right next to my car, OVERNIGHT! It didn't rain. That was really stupid, though. Amazing it didn't get stolen, especially since I usually wake around 11, and found it around 12.

I'm thinking of upgrading, because I need more than two tracks of simultaneous inputs. I was talking recording with one of those guitar center dudes and he's trying to sell me all this shit to make my crappy apple g4 into a garageband whathaveyou. All the time I'm nodding my head and thinking "But the red box is always right in the center of the desk..." I thought I was going about it all backwards because I liked to be able to put my finger on a slider and turn a gain pot etc.

Cheers to all of you who made me realize that there are others out there like me using these dumb little machines and loving them.

That said. Anyone want to sell me a VF16?

That said. Anyone want to sell me a VF16?

This is possible.
If your serious, I have a VF16 and all the nice little things to go with it too.
Very gently used and always well taken care of, I keep it packed in a hard shell case and anytime it was in use on the desk, it always had a dust cover on it.
Feel free to PM me.

I'm using a Fostex MR8 for a headphone amp!

It's really nice for portability also...recording fart noises on the toilet/etc....

I've had a pair of DMT-8VLs for about 11 years now. One of these days, it might be time to upgrade. Mainly because I feel that recorded tracks have sort of a thin, MP3 sound due to crappy A/D converters, and that newer tech would solve this problem. Could be wrong though.

I'm using a D-108 and it peforms immaculately EVERY single time ...time after time after time.
I bought it second hand a few years ago and bought a bigger hard drive cos I figured they would get scarcer and scarcer and I use this old girl alongside my Sonar and Wavelab programs it syncs perfectly thro SMTPE with Sonar.

I think if people are satisfied with their machines its unlikely that they'll post cos they don't have a problem to discuss.

I wish it would get more. I recently purchased the MR16 HD-CD. I would love to have guys on here everyday posting a "this is a shorter way to do, this is a great way to mix etc" for this machine.

I never liked fostex in my early years. I was pretty much a tascam guy when it came to the home stuff. My first venture into the digital world was a Fostex FD8 and it kicked butt. The analog mixer on that machine has more headroom than just about anything out there to this day.

Being happy with the FD8, I picked up a VM200 mixer. What a great little machine. Sure, it's limited to 16 bit 44.1, but for my home stuff demo crap who cares. The motorized faders are cool and I use mine as a DAW controller and it works really well for that. Live, it's ok. Maybe a bit overkill.

I recently won a D-160 off of ebay. I was debating that over a VF160. But since I"ve already an ADAT i/o mixer, why bother.

I've also got a DP-8 which is like an ADAT patch bay. The thing is a god send.

Anywho, for being someone what thought fostex was crap back in the early 90's, I sure ended up with a lot of their crap. :)

Fostex VF160E and behringer ADA 8000(Still going strong after 3 years!) Seems like a great combo! as well as Cool edit pro 2 for mastering.

even more traffic...

Ok, lads, I'll chime in...seeing how I'm soon to be a new Fostex owner..

I snagged a VF160 on ebay & I should have it any day now..

I used to own a HD1880 Roland & it was pretty cool. Great effects..

Someone asked me if the VF160 offered any sort of outboard monitor hookup , but I don't believe it does...would that be correct?

I was on a budget, and I couldn't pass up 16 tracks for a little over $300.00..but again, I haven't seen it yet: hope it's how it's described..!

I don't have monitors as yet...so I'll be making do with a beat set of Sony headphones...ack!
All in good time..

Ok, lads, I'll chime in...seeing how I'm soon to be a new Fostex owner..

I snagged a VF160 on ebay & I should have it any day now..
Someone asked me if the VF160 offered any sort of outboard monitor hookup , but I don't believe it does...would that be correct?

The VF160 is a great machine, with useable effects if they are not overdone. It is stable and capable of professional quality results -- for $300. to $450. Incredible.

I was on a budget, and I couldn't pass up 16 tracks for a little over $300.00..but again, I haven't seen it yet: hope it's how it's described..!

I don't have monitors as yet...so I'll be making do with a beat set of Sony headphones...ack!
All in good time..

The VF160 has 1/4" monitor out jacks and rca stereo buss jacks for going to a master recorder, but they can also be used to send to a power amp and monitors if you want. I've done that before when the monitor outs were used for a headphone mix.

I think the VF series is an incredible value for the money. I picked up the 160ex off of ebay and couldn't be happier. But I've also got a D-160 and VM200 digital mixer so I technically didn't need the 160ex, but I actually prefer tracking to that than the D-160.

different strokes man, these are portable, press record and forget it, just let it roll durning practices and taping rehearsals, gigs. You won't be the next timbaland but whatever man. You can move the tracks you like to the DAW later. Truth is, most bands don't like to record infront of a PC, and most amateurs don't have a studio.

I can't believe how poorly written my post was.
By saying Monitors, I meant monitor in the viewing sense: LCD,CRT & otherwise..
Man, I shoulda known...
:)

Other than the built in lcd the answer is as you thought. There is nothing additional for the VF to display.

power down sequence?

Don't know if this is the place to ask this stupid question....but
I just got a this Fostex vf160 and can't find out the right way to shut it down after a recording.
Is there a sequence?
When I use the power button, I lose all my settings.
HELP!

Thanks

Back