Who the hell is using Fostek!?!?!?!!?!?!?

Hmm... maybe this place is so quiet because Fostex users are actually using their machines and not discussing here about how to used them, why their machines are not working or how can they make their machines work like they want them to do. They just hit the record button of their trusty old workhorses just like thousand times before and everything pretty much works like it's supposed to.

Well in my experience, Pro Tools doesn't suck. I've used it it clean up noisy tracks, bring a drum track into line when I've been slightly off the beat (using the machine manually), add compression as needed to each track, likewise with other plug ins as needed, and to eliminate areas where I normally would have to ride the faders to lose them in the final mix.

What sucks about it to you? Just curious.

Well in my experience, Pro Tools doesn't suck. I've used it it clean up noisy tracks, bring a drum track into line when I've been slightly off the beat (using the machine manually), add compression as needed to each track, likewise with other plug ins as needed, and to eliminate areas where I normally would have to ride the faders to lose them in the final mix.

What sucks about it to you? Just curious.

- Track limitations (LE 32 tracks I believe) HD doesn't have this issue but you pay way more
- Plug-ins tend to be CPU hogs
- Lack of 3rd party hardware support
- Midi needs improvement/overhaul
- Cost
- Mix engine quality is over rated

Don't get me wrong, I've used several software DAWs (e.g., Producer, Cubase, Samplitude, Protools LE) and none of them (IMO) are the answer for everything. The problem is you have to pay the costs to find that out :( and Protools can be a bit steep just for the hype.

I will give you (for better or worse) Pro tools has assumed the role of the de facto standard but, I find in my continued research of the products, there seem s to be a great deal of "Pro" guys that dislike it. Given that, I am puzzled as to how pro-tools continues to matain its market share when the user base seems to not be so supportive.

Last edited:
What sucks about it to you? Just curious

Not just PT but virtually anything away from a console, tape machine, etc., etc., ......the moment that technology introduced ITB editing abilities, effects, dynamics, the "fix it in the mix" mentality, etc., the recording door was wide open to mediocre (or less then mediocre) musicianship and talent and if you honestly weigh up the balance between the number of genuinely talented individuals to "the rest", the balance is massively biased towards the latter.

This technology virtually flushed "honesty in performance" right down the toilet.

:cool:

Ah...I see. Well, I'm not a pro even though I use Pro Tools, so I can see how a pro might have a better grasp on what the deficiencies of Pro Tools are. I mean when I saw that one of the deficiencies was a 32 track limitation, I had to scratch my head because I do just fine with Fostex's sixteen tracks which I then tweak with Pro Tools.

Thanks for the reply. Always good to get a different perspective.

But I do want to address the "fix it in the mix mentality". When I come home from a mind numbing job and have barely enough time to get out the guitar, warm up vocally, get some tracks down before I have to crawl into bed and do it again the next day, the ability to go back and fix mistakes without having to do the whole session over again is invaluable. I try to take care not to clean the soul out, but those of us who are trying to have an artistic life while dealing with the very real world of paying rent and eating, and who do not have the luxury of endless takes to get the perfect one, appreciate the opportunities that the digital age affords. But your point is well taken, nonetheless.

I find the attitude that mediocrity flourishes when technology improves, at the very least, to be slightly patronizing, although maybe I'm simply being a bit touchy. It happens. "The rest" of us think there's room for everybody in the world and let the market sort it out.

LB

Last edited:
I use a Fostex, but the Fostex forum keeps getting less & less traffic....especially if you're not using an MR8.

what Fostex are you using?....:eek:;)

A long time ago, somewhere between tape recoders and the MR8, they made the VF-08....

That's what I'm using. It has a 40GB drive, so it works well. I have no idea how old it is - I bought it used 4 years ago.

2 VF160's for tracking.....Audition and Reaper for mixing.

Fostex takes a licking and keeps on ticking...

I have a surprising number of Fostexes,...

including a bunch of reel-to-reels, the FD4, FD8, rackmount D-delay, stereo reverb, stereo compressor & a bunch of SMPTE sync gear.:eek:;)

Fostex takes a licking and keeps on ticking...

No shit. My teenage daughter did a flying butt slam onto my VF160. I put it on the loveseat in our loft when I'm tracking. At first about half of the faders didn't work, but I opened it up and straightened some parts out that were bent. It works just fine now.

I think that the technology bringing the ability to create music to the masses is over all, a good thing.
But I do think that musicianship in general has declined quite a bit whether that's the reason or not.
but that's good for me since it makes it easy for me to get work so it's all good.
:)

I use a Fostex DAT machine pretty regularly.

Plus I once did a TV dubbing session on a Fostex Foundation - remember those?

I don't use my "Fostek" MR8 anymore.
I bought a Fusion workstation and it has eight 24-bit tracks that can be recorded simultaneously.

How much can I get for a used MR8 ?

I just started using my old VF16 again last February for the RPM challange (bought it new when it first came out).

I just bought an Alesis iO26 this past weekend that I interface with my laptop and the VF16 (via firewire and ADAT respectively), just tested it out a little bit last Sunday, love the combination so far.

Back