We should talk about artwork...

What's up with the name change?

Trying to cut down on the number of keystrokes so that your incredible typing speed will increase beyond that of mortal men?

No, the primary colors are red green and blue.

Or, of you are doing subtractive color mixing, cyan, magenta, and yellow.

regebro said:
No, the primary colors are red green and blue.

Or, of you are doing subtractive color mixing, cyan, magenta, and yellow.

Actually not, at least in a classical sense. Classically, red, blue & yellow are the primary colors. From these three colors you can make all other colors and all other colors are some combination of these three (ex. blue + red = purple).

The color printing age has added some confusion to this. I think that is where you are coming from. I think, however, when most people talk about primary colors they are talking in the classical sense.

Here's a link for more info in case you are interested ;) :D

http://www.beer.org/~tpark/color.html

Jagular said:
Actually not, at least in a classical sense. Classically, red, blue & yellow are the primary colors. From these three colors you can make all other colors and all other colors are some combination of these three (ex. blue + red = purple).

Try making cyan with only red, blue and yellow color. Nah, right, you can't. You can get close if you use WHITE too. But you didn't include it. ;) And you can only get close, not all the way.

What you are talking about are primary PIGMENTS, not colors, and even with this you are incorrect. The reason for using blue, red and yellow instead of cyan magenta and yellow are mostly based on the simple fact that there has been no true cyan and magenta pigments availiable, and painters have therefore made do with other pigments, something which is quite doable.

The primary colors are red green and blue, and thats that. Other earlier theories developed by painters from practical knowledge are incomplete and based on a limited availiablility of pigments.

So, the CMYK printing pricess has not added confusion on the matter to others than people who believe that the old color theories are absolute truths.

I think, however, when most people talk about primary colors they are talking in the classical sense.[/qoute]

Quite possible. However, "most people" are in that case wrong.

Here's a link for more info in case you are interested ;) :D

A page that completely supports the claim that the primary colors are RGB and CMY. I quote:

"Red, green, and blue are the additive primary colors, because they correspond to the red, green, and blue cones in the eye."
[...]
"With the possible exception of certain pointillist techniques, process primaries cannot be mixed from other colors because adding different paints only subtracts from the light reflected back to the viewer. Painting primaries can be mixed from the process primaries. Since a primary color is one that cannot be mixed, the process primaries are the ones that can be considered true primary colors."

HEHEHE....a debate on primary colors. :D

I don't disagree with any of that. I only still make the point that if you took a pole, the vast majority of folks would consider the primary colors to be red, blue & yellow. You know that second grade edumacation is a hard habit to break ;) :D

Oh and white isn't a color. It is lack of color ;) :D

MUWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

:D

*doing my best Rodney King impersonation* ...

"Why can't we all just get along?"

Man, I didn't mean to stir up the pot like this. You guys have just too much free time on your hands! :p :eek: :D

Brad said:
Hey guys, it's Roy G. Biv, not Rog Y. Biv.

Actually..... didn't I hear recently that some group of scientists had redefined the colors of the rainbow to exclude indigo, thus rendering obselete the old pnuemonic (sp?) ROY G. BIV?

I'm sure I heard that within the last year or so.

C'mon, Man! Get with the now! Stop trotting around with your antiquated notions and evolve!

:D

Aaron
http://www.voodoovibe.com

Aaron Cheney said:
Actually..... didn't I hear recently that some group of scientists had redefined the colors of the rainbow to exclude indigo, thus rendering obselete the old pnuemonic (sp?) ROY G. BIV?

Well, I never heard about that - BUT - even if they did decide indigo was too gay to be in the color spectrum, that doesn't change Roy's middle initial - does it? Now it's just Roy G. Bv

Jagular said:
HEHEHE....a debate on primary colors. :D

I don't disagree with any of that. I only still make the point that if you took a pole, the vast majority of folks would consider the primary colors to be red, blue & yellow.

I'm sure that if you came around throwing a pole around and looking generally threatening I would agree too. ;)

Btw, I'm also one of these people who think that a majority opinion does not change a fact. PI is an irrational number that is preety close to 3.14, no matter how many people would like it to be something simppler, like 5 or something. ;)

Aaron Cheney said:

That depends on how you define indigo. :D

regebro said:
I'm sure that if you came around throwing a pole around and looking generally threatening I would agree too. ;)

Better watch it or I'll stick a poll up your arse ;) :D

Btw, I'm also one of these people who think that a majority opinion does not change a fact. PI is an irrational number that is preety close to 3.14, no matter how many people would like it to be something simppler, like 5 or something. ;) [/B][/QUOTE]

Wow...I agree...I also believe in absolute truth. A rare thing these days ;) :D

Back