unhappy about the greg_L ban

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been watching him .... it's been quite a while since he's argued with anyone and barely even comes here except for the football and tone threads.

Looks very much like ANY complaint against him is simply accepted as valid with absolutely no consideration that perhaps the complaint was unwarranted.

And this is Primetime where we are allowed to discuss such things as long as it's polite.

I know of one exchange I had with Greg in Prime Time that was removed by staff within a few hours. That was within the past week or two.

Out of all the regular members on this forum, Greg had the dubious pleasure of being the only member I ever put on my ignore list. I had recently taken him off that list when I saw a couple posts from him getting quoted that didn't seem "so bad". And I think that's the problem - not everyone will give Greg or this forum more than one or two chances before going somewhere else. I'd see this banning as a move to strengthen the forum's community, not detract from its knowledge base. There's still plenty of knowledgeable people here who can also exercise self control and/or communicate without the insults and jabs. Maybe if the forum was Homerecording With Greg.com it could be said it would be a great loss, but Greg is/was not this forum.

This is my $0.02 and I'm not a staff member but certainly support their decision. I've been vocal for a while now that members like Greg, who seem to shift into attack mode prematurely on any hot topic, should find someplace else to behave that way. Greg isn't/wasn't the only member behaving this way, he was just the one I've noticed doing it longest and with the greatest frequency. Add to this what seemed like a penchant for baiting people into arguments, and I'm frankly surprised it took this long.

give greg another chance. He is the embodiment of getting great results with a basic home recording setup. He is always willing to share what he has learned with others, to help them. Remind complainersx:z that there is an ignore function available. It can be worked out.
Nodody has has had any worse nasty run in's with him than me and I say give him another chance. ...he still has a lot to offer.

Last edited:
give greg another chance. He is the embodiment of getting great results with a basic hone recording setup. He us always willing to share what he has learned with others to help them. Remind complainer that there is an ignore function available. It can be worked out.
Nodody has has had any worse nasty run in's with him than me and I say give him another chance. ...he still has a lot to offer.

Honestly, if there was ever the slightest attempt to meet us in the middle he probably would have kept getting other chances.
Greg had an ignore list too.

perhaps the site should also consider whether a newbie is excessively whiney and gets butt hurt too easily.

I don't go to the clinic anymore because if you don't follow the modern protocol of ONLY saying nice things wussies freak out.

You can criticize a recording VERY mildly, pointing out obvious suckage but being careful how you word it and they STILL go off on you ... i.e. "I didn't come here to be critisized ..... who are YOU to tell me my guitar is out of tune?" ..... see plenty of that but the guy that gets in trouble is the guy who really didn't say anything nasty at all but simply reviewed honestly ...... that's why I, and other experienced members don't go there ... the very guys you NEED to go there to give help to newbs.

Most of us just simply send out tracks to each other via email or the tone thread .... the clinic is full of youtube click bait that knows absolutely nothing about learning or getting truthful reviews.
All they want is "oh, you're so beautiful!"

I can understand AudioFanzine not caring ...... all this is is a feature that might bring in some revenue ..... but SOME of the mods are or were members of the community ..... they should know better than to allow newbs to overreact and whine and then always take their sides on thing.

Well, it's been said a few times that this isn't about noobs or feedback or, at least, not exclusively but it's clear a good few guys think that anyway.

Regardless, I take your point.
I don't think too much of boycotting the clinic as a solution but whatever. That's not new.

If there's going to be a group who wont use the the clinic and a group who do then fine, but if the two are going to be constantly at odds that won't work.

I don't think any of the mods would blindly take the side of someone who flips out when they're given advice or criticism, even if it is pretty direct and dry criticism.
We absolutely will, or at least will have to represent both sides, if there's an aggression or attitude is unwelcoming or over the top, though. Provocative...instigative....hoping for that reaction even?

I mean, I can see being 'overly' blunt as your style but walking away when someone blows up,
or being pretty diplomatic in your criticism then letting someone have it when they blow up at you
but both?

That was a trend for a long time.

If people are going to freak out let them. Report it and walk away.
The mods jobs is clear cut if that's how it happens.

I don't think too much of boycotting the clinic as a solution but whatever. That's not new.

I'm not boycotting anything ..... I don't go there because it's a waste of my time.

Why would ANYone want to review music there when all you're allowed to do is give praise?

And why would I care about getting a bunch of phony praise for my music?
Once it got decided that only praise is allowed because you might hurt somebodies itty bitty feelings, the clinic became useless as an actual recording resource and that's why the more experienced don't go there.

However, I'm not at odds with anyone at all ..... and I'm not aware of anyone else who "doesn't use the clinic ....... and are constantly at odds with them"

So to suggest I'm boycotting the clinic has no basis in reality.
You boycott to draw attention to something and to make a point.

I simply don't go there anymore because it's become useless ..... not a boycott in the slightest sense.

I'm not boycotting anything ..... I don't go there because it's a waste of my time.

Why would ANYone want to review music there when all you're allowed to do is give praise?

Once it got decided that only praise is allowed because you might hurt somebodies itty bitty feelings, the clinic became useless as an actual recording resource and that's why the more experienced don't go there.

However, I'm not at odds with anyone at all ..... and I'm not aware of anyone else who "doesn't use the clinic ....... and are constantly at odds with them"

I simply don't go there anymore because it's become useless ..... not a boycott in the slightest sense.

Ah, guess I always assumed it was because you don't have anything worth posting and are insanely jealous of anyone that does. My bad. ;)

perhaps the site should also consider whether a newbie is excessively whiney and gets butt hurt too easily.

I don't go to the clinic anymore because if you don't follow the modern protocol of ONLY saying nice things wussies freak out.

You can criticize a recording VERY mildly, pointing out obvious suckage but being careful how you word it and they STILL go off on you ... i.e. "I didn't come here to be critisized ..... who are YOU to tell me my guitar is out of tune?" ..... see plenty of that but the guy that gets in trouble is the guy who really didn't say anything nasty at all but simply reviewed honestly ...... that's why I, and other experienced members don't go there ... the very guys you NEED to go there to give help to newbs.

I don't know that I agree with you on that Bob. I don't read every post of every thread. So I could be wrong - and push back if I am. But I regularly point out problems with mixes in the Clinic. And it's rare when people respond to me like you're describing above. I don't think the Clinic is a waste of your time.

In an unrelated matter, I have a thread up in the Clinic. :)

Fair enough. You've chosen not to use the clinic.

It was never decided that only praise was allowed, although I know Greg perpetuated that idea.
It was his deliberately obtuse misinterpretation of mod advice.

I don't know that I agree with you on that Bob. I don't read every post of every thread. So I could be wrong - and push back if I am. But I regularly point out problems with mixes in the Clinic. And it's rare when people respond to me like you're describing above. I don't think the Clinic is a waste of your time.

In an unrelated matter, I have a thread up in the Clinic. :)

Quite honestly I agree with this.
Noobs blowing up and overreaction to advice is, in my experience, almost exclusive to Greg's feedback.

It never really seemed to be an issue with anyone else.
If it was, it certainly wasn't a consistent predictable issue.

I've never seen or experienced that issue, either. I give critical feedback and receive it from others. It's all done respectfully by just stating the problems or potential improvements. It's like some people want to just tee off and say "you suck" instead of "x needs improvement and here's how to do it", and the former is honestly a problem with them not the newbs.

Last edited:
Fair enough. You've chosen not to use the clinic.

It was never decided that only praise was allowed, although I know Greg perpetuated that idea.
It was his deliberately obtuse misinterpretation of mod advice.
seen it with my own eyes .....

Look none of this matters THAT much to me ...... I do very little on ANY of the boards anymore ...... I participate in the tone thread, sometimes a lot .... sometimes not very much ..... and that's about it.

No biggie .... I simply have a life ...... I gig a LOT ..... caretaker of 95 year old mom-in-law ...... got a house and acre to take care of ..... my spare time is always spent either doing session work or studying for some upcoming hired-gun gig.
Perhaps in my spare spare time I fiddle around with my own music.
I'm one of the very busiest musicians you've never heard of.

17 years ago when I joined HR I had a lot of time to fill ..... now I don't.
So I pop in from time to time and see old friends ..... on occasion there's a gear thread that interests me since I still like talking about gear.
But I have limited time available for 'puter stuff in general .... not just HR.

So whether greg's at HR or not matters little to me other than the fact I see it as spinelessness by some of the powers that be.
I think it's wrong and wanted to make sure I brought it out into the open.

Now I have and so that's that.

seen it with my own eyes .....

Look none of this matters THAT much to me ...... I do very little on ANY of the boards anymore ...... I participate in the tone thread, sometimes a lot .... sometimes not very much ..... and that's about it.

No biggie .... I simply have a life ...... I gig a LOT ..... caretaker of 95 year old mom-in-law ...... got a house and acre to take care of ..... my spare time is always spent either doing session work or studying for some upcoming hired-gun gig.
Perhaps in my spare spare time I fiddle around with my own music.
I'm one of the very busiest musicians you've never heard of.

17 years ago when I joined HR I had a lot of time to fill ..... now I don't.
So I pop in from time to time and see old friends ..... on occasion there's a gear thread that interests me since I still like talking about gear.
But I have limited time available for 'puter stuff in general .... not just HR.

So whether greg's at HR or not matters little to me other than the fact I see it as spinelessness by some of the powers that be.
I think it's wrong and wanted to make sure I brought it out into the open.

Now I have and so that's that.

Well, I think spinelessness is unfair given the length of open discussion around the thing,
but I very much respect your position and, in particular, the way that you've presented it.

Well, I think spinelessness is unfair given the length of open discussion around the thing,
but I very much respect your position and, in particular, the way that you've presented it.
and I respect this reply ... have a good day sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back