unhappy about the greg_L ban

Status
Not open for further replies.
...the... open discussion around the thing...
I'm not so sure about how open any of this has been. Why else the questions about what's allowed or acceptable and what's not? Admittedly there is not as much - if any - of that this time around but there are also far fewer persons commenting and comments than surrounding previous banning incidents. No matter. This board is not a democratic institution and I accept that. No need to respond.

The Clinic. I hardly ever listen and post less. I have not posted a tune since my very earliest days and I deleted it almost immediately. What I have noticed in general is this and I believe it holds true across the phenomenon of Home Recording and is not limited to this board or forum. Most people who try it cannot write, play or sing. Supportive posts are false hope and a waste of time. They are also dishonest. The very rare cases of honest feedback are not appreciated. I mean seriously - what is the point of, "Try a low pass filter or some eq at 5k to defeat sibilance" to some poor delusional recordist that can't carry a tune? Tell him to stick to auto mechanics and you're Greg. Listen to what is on offer with a different outlook - is any of it actually any good? Some is sure but precious little. I don't know what you're supposed to say so I say nothing. I don't want to bear the burden of speaking the truth. Greg was more than happy to - hell it was his mission.

So anyway carry on encouraging each other. Maybe some people will actually improve. I hope it is not too crushing when they eventually hear the truth.

I still think banning a long-term, very knowledgeable member so a few newbies can not get their poor little feelings hurt is dumb. It's a bad trade-off for the site as a whole. Kind of ironic as well, since I was reading a mod post just this week complaining about how a lot of very talented major contributors to this site have been leaving. Stuff like this is why HR is slowly but surely dying off. Keep up the good work, fellas. :rolleyes:

I still think banning a long-term, very knowledgeable member so a few newbies can not get their poor little feelings hurt is dumb.

I keep saying it. That's one small thing and not the sole reason.

Kind of ironic as well, since I was reading a mod post just this week complaining about how a lot of very talented major contributors to this site have been leaving. Stuff like this is why HR is slowly but surely dying off. Keep up the good work, fellas. :rolleyes:

I suspect you're talking about my post.
The post itself was intended to be ironic but no one got it.

I mean seriously - what is the point of, "Try a low pass filter or some eq at 5k to defeat sibilance" to some poor delusional recordist that can't carry a tune?
This is a recording site, not The Voice. Recording advice makes sense.

Which people, songs and performances are worth recording isn't really a question that needs to be answered by any of us. If this were a forum of pro recordists and people were submitting their songs for review so that we could sign them to a record deal, then informing them that they have no hope would be part of the job. But telling some guy that he sucks at his hobby and he should take up basket weaving is also pointless.

I keep saying it. That's one small thing and not the sole reason.

Well then do tell. You can't expect anybody to just be cool with it as long as you just keep telling us what Greg didn't do. Like Lou pointed out, there hasn't been any open discussion about this. You just keep saying "Oh, it wasn't this/that." Just seems like more fickle moderation to me. Which I'm not really surprised at, seeing as site admins are always mia.

Well then do tell. You can't expect anybody to just be cool with it as long as you just keep telling us what Greg didn't do. Like Lou pointed out, there hasn't been any open discussion about this. You just keep saying "Oh, it wasn't this/that." Just seems like more fickle moderation to me. Which I'm not really surprised at, seeing as site admins are always mia.

The third post in this thread covers it as well as it's going to be covered.

The clinic, the state of it is getting mentioned quite a lot.

Now Greg never posted in there unless requested, he usually only posted in drum threads, the tone thread and football thread.

Sure, he slags off the clinic all the time. So what? Is that what the issue is?

Have people actually been searching through all of Greg's forum posts looking for posts to report on threads they don't even post in? You could report pretty much every user, myself included, if you did that.

Cool, soooo basically not at all then? Good to know. Lol this is such bullshit.
Aww c'mon, man. The whole forum membership (except like three people) consistently at various times had the opinion, made the comment or complained that Greg should be banned and it was all true so he got banned.

The clinic, the state of it is getting mentioned quite a lot.

Now Greg never posted in there unless requested, he usually only posted in drum threads, the tone thread and football thread.

Sure, he slags off the clinic all the time. So what? Is that what the issue is?

Have people actually been searching through all of Greg's forum posts looking for posts to report on threads they don't even post in? You could report pretty much every user, myself included, if you did that.
Post reported.

The third post in this thread covers it as well as it's going to be covered.
lol .... that means 'we don't really have a good reason so just accept that powers beyond your ability to understand have spoken'.

:laughings:

Look ya'll .... some of us have been here for years ..... 17 years in my case.
We come to think of it as a community ..... but it isn't.
it's clickbait for ads for Audiofanzine ..... and that's their right as owners.
To them community matters exactly zero .... long time members aren't going to click on the ads and generate revenue.
A few hundred newbies will generate more income than 10,000 old guys that just hang around.

That's it in black and white ....... we're allowed to hang around as long as we don't get too uppity but make no mistake , the biggest revenue producers are always gonna be the most clueless beginners and the site is gonna be massaged into whatever helps get those guys in.

We old guys are tolerated but not really valued ..... the mods can jump thru whatever hoops they want trying to explain it but the facts are clear.

And, to be fair, if I'm Audiofanzine I want a return on my investment ..... the real villain is Dragon for selling the place but you can't blame him either ...... it's money speaking.

Just don't try to play us for chumps with ridiculous and untrue statements about greg's behavior when some of us know him well enough to know he's been on pretty good behavior.

I'm sure he's a great player, he mentions it often and I have no reason to doubt him.
Actually people who have heard me play say that.

I don't know why you've decided to get snotty with me since you know exactly nothing about me at all but knock yourself out.

:laughings:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back