The New Tone Thread

I can just imagine the conversation:

Wife: where the hell did all of this gear come from?
Me: I blame Greg
Wife: who the hell is Greg?
Me: it's a long story...

Haha, yes you do.

I was in talks with the Hallmark guy about having a custom 60 Custom made for me. No trem, tune-o-matic/stopbar tailpiece. One knob, one humbucker. Sort of like a Mosrite shaped LP Jr. Black and gold Saints burst. Lol. Would be cool. I might still do it.

Do it! Once you get a custom your guitar life will be complete.

I dunno, it's not that important to me. It's just an idea.
Its pretty fun designing something which is exactly what you want. You'll probably find yourself lusting after guitars a lot less - I know amps are more your thing though.

Its pretty fun designing something which is exactly what you want. You'll probably find yourself lusting after guitars a lot less - I know amps are more your thing though.

I'm really not lusting for anything anymore. It's pretty nice. If I really REALLY wanted that custom Hallmark, I'd have it already. That's more of a luxury than something I really have a lot of use for. About once a month I go out and hit all the shops and try stuff out, and I never come home with insatiable GAS. I still have yet to grab any guitar in any price range that looks feels or sounds as good to me as my Goldtop LP. Besides the appearance and finish, there's nothing about a custom made guitar that really does anything for me. I'm just not wired that way. I don't think I'm a good enough player to have a list of demands that I need from a guitar. I'm fine with just some general basic features.

My custom is actually a pretty basic guitar - its not like I have a piezo or XY MIDI pad in it - Its that thing though of a guy who mainly plays at home just for the pleasure of playing. It just feels great to have the perfect guitar for me. Your Gold Top LP seems to be perfect for you and its a great guitar so just stick with it! Do you play the guitar just for the sake of playing for enjoyment or is it purely a recording/band tool for you?

I swing between amp GAS and guitar GAS. I'm on amp GAS at the moment!

well, my main guitar is as custom as it gets .... every single detail completely custom to my specs. And I like it ..... but it's not enough!

I want more stuff!!

:D

Have fun guys, I'm off for a stag weekend surfing in Devon then I'm heading down to Cornwall surfing for a week. No tones from me!

My custom is actually a pretty basic guitar - its not like I have a piezo or XY MIDI pad in it - Its that thing though of a guy who mainly plays at home just for the pleasure of playing. It just feels great to have the perfect guitar for me. Your Gold Top LP seems to be perfect for you and its a great guitar so just stick with it! Do you play the guitar just for the sake of playing for enjoyment or is it purely a recording/band tool for you?

I swing between amp GAS and guitar GAS. I'm on amp GAS at the moment!
I play for enjoyment every day. I love recording and playing live, but in the years between recording and playing live, I still played for shits and grins. It's not just a tool to me. When I bought that Goldtop I wasn't playing guitar with anyone. Only drums. For many many years I was only drumming with people. That Goldtop got my ass back out there on guitar, and now I do both.

well, my main guitar is as custom as it gets .... every single detail completely custom to my specs. And I like it ..... but it's not enough!

I want more stuff!!

I remember your guitar being built. Honestly I didn't think you'd like it. I had no idea Will was that good at building guitars.

Did you get ran off from GC yesterday Greg????:D

I was gonna post some clean tones, but felt like shit & just laid around...Fell asleep on the couch yesterday, & didn't wake up until this morning....:facepalm:

I remember your guitar being built. Honestly I didn't think you'd like it. I had no idea Will was that good at building guitars.
it's just such a great ax.

He doesn't even build anymore as far as I can see. His site has disappeared and he was talking about being years behind because his new high paying job and kid took all his time.

I really kinda do want a Hallmark ...... or maybe that Danelectro .... or that Firebird ..... or the new PA or a Hughes & Kettner ....... or ... or .... or!

If I get a Hallmark it'll be the purple one with the white 'pups

Did you get ran off from GC yesterday Greg????:D
Ha no, I didn't go. I got a new house alarm with cameras and shit last week, and I like it so much I called them back out to put up more cameras. They were supposed to do it yesterday so I waited around then the installer called in sick. Lol.

it's just such a great ax.

He doesn't even build anymore as far as I can see. His site has disappeared and he was talking about being years behind because his new high paying job and kid took all his time.

I really kinda do want a Hallmark ...... or maybe that Danelectro .... or that Firebird ..... or the new PA or a Hughes & Kettner ....... or ... or .... or!

If I get a Hallmark it'll be the purple one with the white 'pups

Have you seen those new offset Fender Teles? I kind of like them. They're nothing like a Tele, but the pickups and bridge are Tele-ish. They look cool to me.

Have you seen those new offset Fender Teles? I kind of like them. They're nothing like a Tele, but the pickups and bridge are Tele-ish. They look cool to me.
yeah, those are cool.

Something else I've always liked are les paul double cuts

I don't like Teles at all, but I've always liked Jags/Jazzmasters. I like the offset body shape.
I like them too but I could never play a Jaguar .... that 24" scale sounds horrible .... I actually don't even like Gibsons' 24 3/4" scale ... too short.
maybe because I was also a bass player?

I don't like Teles at all, but I've always liked Jags/Jazzmasters. I like the offset body shape.

I know you don't like tele's, that's why it surprised me a little...I'd like to have another tele myself, I had a '94 USA Tele Plus II, & it was great, or I thought it was anyway....

I just have to say, I can NEVER have enough gear. I can't help it, I love having music gear around me. And I'm not currently seeking any professional help, either. :D

And now, from my gig on July 4th. This was recorded using the XR18 board, connected via USB to my laptop and straight into Studio One (my DAW). All instruments close mic'd. We were under a small tent, on the driveway with a pretty good wind. On some of the tracks you can hear fireworks going off (thankfully no one lost a hand or any fingers). The drummer had never played a gig with us before but we have jammed together many times. Four mics on the kit (kick, snare and 2 overheads).

and for shits and giggles, here's the pedal board for the day:Pedal Board.jpg

I normally never use a delay (in fact, I hadn't used this since May of last year with my other band). All to my Princeton and using The Fool SG.

This is what the soundboard/recording setup looked like (though these pics are from a different gig I did which was in a garage. I'll post some clips from that too):
Behringer2.jpg

Behringer1.jpg

The amount of gear I no longer have to bring with me is amazing. My life has become so much easier at gigs.

And here's a tune Till The Money's Gone from July 4th (again, we're under a small tent on a driveway)

All in all I have to say I'm pretty pleased with the gear. The Wifi seems to be an issue but not much of one (yet). And I keep getting compliments on the sound at gigs now. Being able to move around freely and still control the board is HUGE in many of the places I end up doing sound. I'm going to try to run it as an audio interface soon and see how i performs there.

I like them too but I could never play a Jaguar .... that 24" scale sounds horrible .... I actually don't even like Gibsons' 24 3/4" scale ... too short.
maybe because I was also a bass player?
Haha that's what I like about them. I prefer the shorter scale and offset body look of Jags. Fender's typical longer scale, even though it's minimal, doesn't appeal to me very much.

I know you don't like tele's, that's why it surprised me a little...I'd like to have another tele myself, I had a '94 USA Tele Plus II, & it was great, or I thought it was anyway....
In my entire life, I've encountered one, only one, Telecaster that I've liked and it was a G&L. I don't remember the model. ASAT maybe? I don't know. It belonged to my friend from high school. He got it maybe in the early 90s. He, like the rest of us, always had cheap knockoff Strats and shit. It was the first nice guitar any of our crew ever head. It was a Black body/Rosewood neck Tele with humbuckers. Nice guitar. Played great. Sounded great. My buddy's house got robbed recently and that guitar is gone forever.

Back