The New Tone Thread

G&L USA Rampage Jerry Cantrell Signature Model
Jerry Cantrell, sig... he appears to agree with you.

I bought one of those in the early 90's for $200. This one:

G&L Rampage.jpg

Still have it, but hardly ever use. I can't stand shredder neck and the Kahler Tremelo which sucks. Doesn't sound bad, though. Maybe I should sell the fucker. Just saw an '85 in White on Reverb going for $1500. Mine's an '84.

And Greg: Great stuff. In the mix, it really sounds great. Well done.

And Miner: I'm going to try to do a whole tune this morning including samples of the Bassman with the attenuator. Hopefully I'll get to post some samples today.

I really like the shape, but not the trem. Would be cool to get one with a pair of humbuckers and a tune-o-matic. I really don't need another guitar with a pair of humbuckers though.

OK, nobody has posted in this thread in 3 days. So, I figured it's safe to post this and ask "What the fuck?". :D

Attachments

• 12573726_575300289288649_1641302702865739784_n.jpg
    12573726_575300289288649_1641302702865739784_n.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 7
I wonder what it's called. A "Telespaul"?

I'd be thinking more along the lines of "piece of shit" by the looks of it, but you never know, it may be a beast of a guitar dude....:D

I always though Audley Freed's strat in the Cry of Love videos looked cool because it had a reverse headstock on it, but it doesn't matter what that guy plays, he's a killer...

I played my buddy Shawn's super rare silver anniversary LP Custom last night. That one I posted pics of the other day. Holy shitballs.

First off, the guitar is 40 years old and there is not a scratch on it. There are tiny tiny buckle-dents, not even rash, on the back, but they don't go through the clearcoat. They're more like impressions than scratches. You see worse damage on new guitars in a shop just from people fingerbanging them to death. So this thing is pretty mint. Original frets, original tuners, pickups, perfect binding, everything is great. This thing spent a lot of time in it's case in a closet somewhere. I don't know how to "grade" collectible guitars, but if I were calling the shots I'd give it a 9.8/10. It's silver sparkle, but it has ever so slightly turned a little green like the silverbursts tend to do. You can just barely see it greening up a little bit. It's gorgeous.

What really caught me by surprise was how low, smooth, and effortless it plays. When I grabbed it, my first though was "no way, the action is too low". I mean this action is LOW. But there's not a fret buzz or bend choke out anywhere to be found. Every single note on the fretboard rings clean and true with no buzz - I checked. Unfreakingbelievable. I've never felt action that low and soft without any noise, not even on shredtard guitars. It played like butta.

So that's all. Just wanted to shre with you guys my impressions on that truly fine piece of guitar. I'm glad he has it. It's a special guitar.

I played my buddy Shawn's super rare silver anniversary LP Custom last night. That one I posted pics of the other day. Holy shitballs.

First off, the guitar is 40 years old and there is not a scratch on it. There are tiny tiny buckle-dents, not even rash, on the back, but they don't go through the clearcoat. They're more like impressions than scratches. You see worse damage on new guitars in a shop just from people fingerbanging them to death. So this thing is pretty mint. Original frets, original tuners, pickups, perfect binding, everything is great. This thing spent a lot of time in it's case in a closet somewhere. I don't know how to "grade" collectible guitars, but if I were calling the shots I'd give it a 9.8/10. It's silver sparkle, but it has ever so slightly turned a little green like the silverbursts tend to do. You can just barely see it greening up a little bit. It's gorgeous.

What really caught me by surprise was how low, smooth, and effortless it plays. When I grabbed it, my first though was "no way, the action is too low". I mean this action is LOW. But there's not a fret buzz or bend choke out anywhere to be found. Every single note on the fretboard rings clean and true with no buzz - I checked. Unfreakingbelievable. I've never felt action that low and soft without any noise, not even on shredtard guitars. It played like butta.

So that's all. Just wanted to shre with you guys my impressions on that truly fine piece of guitar. I'm glad he has it. It's a special guitar.

That is pretty damn rare to find any guitar that's 40 years old all stock & in that kind of condition...

That is pretty damn rare to find any guitar that's 40 years old all stock & in that kind of condition...

Yup. And it's heavy. Real heavy. I mean heavy, even for a Les Paul. Mine's heavier than average at 11 pounds even, and I think his is even heavier than that. Suppposedly 77 is the first year of the Norlin era that they ditched the pancake body and went back to solid mahogany bodies. This one feels like it. He's a big dude that plays LPs all the time, but last night was his first practice with that one and he said he was feeling it afterwards. :D

Fuck, that does sound like a nice guitar. You got any pictures of it.

Here's something I've been working on today. Just bare bones so far, need to add a fuck lot more guitar work to it yet - lead bits and stuff.

1. What do you think of the tone/mix as usual.
2. I'm a shit drummer and I can't think what to do when the heavy guitars come in. It sounds shit, everything I try sounds shit and I don't know what to try next. When I switch to rides on the other heavy part its fine.

View attachment PD16R.mp3

I think this clip sounds ok Jdude, the guitars are a little nasally sounding, but you're on the right track. Much better than your other "first tries"....Moving the mic just a kunt hair away from the center might help as it'd cut some of those high mids, & add some bottom...You might even try just angling the mic a little toward the edge instead too, mic placement can be quite drastic with just the slightest move...Parts of this have a Jerry Cantrell vibe to me dude...:)

IMHO, the half open/open hats need to follow the pattern in the verse like the closed hats do. I think it's that "stutterstep" thing on the hh that's throwing you off...Just my opinion, we'll see what everybody else thinks too...

I've moved the mic of about 0.5 to 1cm further off the grill than normal to try and take away some of the darkness that I normally get but it has added a touch of harshness.

Was just listening to this while walking to the pub and I was thinking the same thing, close the hi hat, work it a bit more and follow the verse timing instead of that half beat thing

Fuck, that does sound like a nice guitar. You got any pictures of it.

Here's something I've been working on today. Just bare bones so far, need to add a fuck lot more guitar work to it yet - lead bits and stuff.

1. What do you think of the tone/mix as usual.
2. I'm a shit drummer and I can't think what to do when the heavy guitars come in. It sounds shit, everything I try sounds shit and I don't know what to try next. When I switch to rides on the other heavy part its fine.

View attachment 96885

Fuck, this is the best you've done yet. The clean guitars sound good, the driven guitars certainly aren't dark or boxy anymore. This is one where I think you can just EQ shelf down the highs a bit and get rid of some of that wispy harshness. But overall way better than anything else you've done.

Fuck, this is the best you've done yet. The clean guitars sound good, the driven guitars certainly aren't dark or boxy anymore. This is one where I think you can just EQ shelf down the highs a bit and get rid of some of that wispy harshness. But overall way better than anything else you've done.
Cheers, Greg. The extra cm off the grill has taken the darkness out of it but added a harshness. I've done the low and high shelf and the slight scoop at 530 that you tipped me off for (I've got the -6db low shelf, +6db high shelf and narrow 2db scoop at 530 saved as a preset). I've got to check that message you sent me about parametric EQ and look for any other bumps. In yank money I'm probably an inch and a quarter off the grill now.

What you think about my drum problem?

Cheers, Greg. The extra cm off the grill has taken the darkness out of it but added a harshness. I've done the low and high shelf and the slight scoop at 530 that you tipped me off for. I've got to check that message you sent me about parametric EQ and look for any other bumps. In yank money I'm probably an inch and a quarter off the grill now.

What you think about my drum problem?
I didn't pay attention to the drums. Will listen again.

Keep that same distance off the grill, but just move out to the edge of the speaker a touch more. Maybe like 1 inch...or 2.54 cm for you :D

Back