The New Tone Thread

I didn't pay attention to the drums. Will listen again.

Keep that same distance off the grill, but just move out to the edge of the speaker a touch more. Maybe like 1 inch...or 2.54 cm for you :D
The two guitars are spaced about an inch apart on the grill (moving the mic between my left and right take makes a huge difference), another inch out and I'll be back to where I was before.

The two guitars are spaced about an inch apart on the grill (moving the mic between my left and right take makes a huge difference), another inch out and I'll be back to where I was before.

Ok, so don't go any further off the grill, stay in that range on the speaker, and tweak the amp between takes. Or use a different guitar. If you find the sweet spot for the mic, never move it and just alter something else.

Ok, so don't go any further off the grill, stay in that range on the speaker, and tweak the amp between takes. Or use a different guitar. If you find the sweet spot for the mic, never move it and just alter something else.

I just got the tape measure out and checked it, I'm an inch off the grill now. I think I've worked out a fairly good mic placement strategy - I'll like to get it done with no EQ at all but I don't think its gonna be possible with this amp.

I just got the tape measure out and checked it, I'm an inch off the grill now. I think I've worked out a fairly good mic placement strategy - I'll like to get it done with no EQ at all but I don't think its gonna be possible with this amp.

There's nothing wrong with some EQ. That's what it's for. Just don't go trying to polish a turd with it.

This sounds good JDOD. I liked the clean guitar on the left especially. The overdrive guitars are fine too. To be honest, I thought your older clips suffered because you were attempting to make your amp sound like a different amp. This and recent ones show you finding your amp's natural voice and making it work for you.

My suggestion would be to leave alone everything you have here and get on to the vocals--top priority! That, more than anything else, will move you closer to your goal of having a finished song to show for your efforts.

I'm already working on the vocals. I was making notes today, I've got about 8 tracks in various stages of completion that I'm working on and a pile more that I've discarded for now. I've got a few vocal hooks for most of them and am working on them all. I will post the finished versions up when they're done.

Listening back to that now and I want to retract it anyway, my playing is a bit sloppy.

I'm not having a go at you, I just don't see why we're doing the MP3 clinic in here when we already have an MP3 clinic.
cause some of us don't like it is why.

There's only about a dozen people that I personally care about showing stuff to, or hearing their stuff and they all are in this thread.

I have zero interest in having a zillion uniformed remarks when i can get useful comments here .... and some here are tired of the butthurt responses and arguments you get in the clinic .... for the most part we have none of that here.

You, of course, are free to post where you wish .... so are we.

cause some of us don't like it is why.

There's only about a dozen people that I personally care about showing stuff to, or hearing their stuff and they all are in this thread.

I have zero interest in having a zillion uniformed remarks when i can get useful comments here .... and some here are tired of the butthurt responses and arguments you get in the clinic .... for the most part we have none of that here.

You, of course, are free to post where you wish .... so are we.

:D

I don't care either way, but I can see valid points on both sides of the fence, seeing how a toan sounds in a mix is cool, & hearing 'em on their own is cool too...

I can see valid points on both sides of the fence...
It's funny, before reading your comment, I was going to say the exact same thing. I've been on both sides of the fence with my own stuff and I agree with Bubba, but I also agree with Bob.

My last couple of tunes, I really only wanted to post them here and get the opinions of you 5 or 6 people who's opinions I really respect. That's not a knock on the clinic at all. It's just that if I get the ears of 4 or 5 people who I respect, I don't need a thousand "sounds good on my ear buds" comments. But I didn't post here because I didn't want to make it "my" Clinic while the rest of you are specifically talking about guitar tones.

I sort of found a happy medium by simply posting in the Clinic and then telling you guys here that you can go check it out there. But even that only lasted one song because I felt that it might look as if I'm putting you guys on the spot by "suggesting" you go listen to my song. I just posted one in the Clinic yesterday and was going to post here to tell you guys, but I decided against it.

I can see how some people are more comfortable here in this group. But I can also see how it can change the whole feel of this thread if it turns into a "Check out my new tune" kind of thing.

The clinic has become a horrendous joke. I'm not interested in participation awards and fake pleasantries. My type of realism is not welcome anymore. No one in there can make my mixes better, most of the songwriting is ghastly, and the people here whose opinion I do value will hear my stuff if I need some feedback. So if I'm not willing to take current clinic people's feedback seriously, because there's no way I will, then it's not fair to them or for me to go in there and dissect anyone else's stuff. I'm not part of the new clique.

It's funny, before reading your comment, I was going to say the exact same thing. I've been on both sides of the fence with my own stuff and I agree with Bubba, but I also agree with Bob.

My last couple of tunes, I really only wanted to post them here and get the opinions of you 5 or 6 people who's opinions I really respect. That's not a knock on the clinic at all. It's just that if I get the ears of 4 or 5 people who I respect, I don't need a thousand "sounds good on my ear buds" comments. But I didn't post here because I didn't want to make it "my" Clinic while the rest of you are specifically talking about guitar tones.

I sort of found a happy medium by simply posting in the Clinic and then telling you guys here that you can go check it out there. But even that only lasted one song because I felt that it might look as if I'm putting you guys on the spot by "suggesting" you go listen to my song. I just posted one in the Clinic yesterday and was going to post here to tell you guys, but I decided against it.

I can see how some people are more comfortable here in this group. But I can also see how it can change the whole feel of this thread if it turns into a "Check out my new tune" kind of thing.

Well, I've heard that great minds think alike there bro...:).

Again, it really doesn't matter to me, as I've posted both ways here. I will say Jdod has been bustin' his little English ass to come across with some tone-age, & he needs to know how that tone-age is gonna sound in a mix, so he gets a god-damned fuckin' pass from me...

this time...:D.

Back