The New Tone Thread

No, but I busted a high E string (I use .11's) which I haven't done in years. Now that I think of it, I busted an A string a few weeks ago (on a Strat). That's 2 more strings that I've broken than in last 8 years combined. Going to try the NYXL strings and see if I like those.

I love those strings. Lt Bob told me about them, and as usual he was right.

Thankfully I'm not a regular string breaker. I can't remember the last time I broke a string. Knock on wood.

I love those strings. Lt Bob told me about them, and as usual he was right.

Thankfully I'm not a regular string breaker. I can't remember the last time I broke a string. Knock on wood.

That's what put them on the radar for me. I remember you guys talking about them. A friend of mine works at The Evil Empire (Guitar Center) and he basically backed up what the both of you had said.

As an aside, does anyone hate changing strings as much as I do?

That's what put them on the radar for me. I remember you guys talking about them. A friend of mine works at The Evil Empire (Guitar Center) and he basically backed up what the both of you had said.

As an aside, does anyone hate changing strings as much as I do?

Haha well you won't have to change as often with those NYXLs.

Break-in is important. I really don't think you've broken that thing in yet.

I really like starting right on the dustcap/cone seam, and 90% of the time it stays there. That's my own go-to spot on my V30s or Greenbacks. It's a fairly bright mic placement, but I also play so fucking loud that it doesn't matter too much. I still get good low end from sheer volume and proximity effect.

Try it out. Shine a light through your grill cloth and stick the mic right on the dustcap edge. See how it goes.
Yeah, it isn't broken in yet - I'm expecting it to take a while. Got loads that I am working on right now too so it shouldn't take too much longer.

This grill cloth is really dense! I shined fuck loads of light at it before and could barely see the cone - its like shining a light through leather!

Miner - do you know if I can run EZ Drummer on two different machines - I wan't to install it on my weekday machine and my home machine - I haven't paid for it yet - just been using the trial version for the last two weeks but I'm fairly impressed with it.

Yeah, it isn't broken in yet - I'm expecting it to take a while. Got loads that I am working on right now too so it shouldn't take too much longer.

This grill cloth is really dense! I shined fuck loads of light at it before and could barely see the cone - its like shining a light through leather!

Miner - do you know if I can run EZ Drummer on two different machines - I wan't to install it on my weekday machine and my home machine - I haven't paid for it yet - just been using the trial version for the last two weeks but I'm fairly impressed with it.

It does take quite a while to break in a speaker Jdude, I have no idea how many hours it takes, but just keep putting some volume through it, & it'll eventually smooth out. The G12H I have, I hated it at first, but it wasn't broken in, now I really like it...Just be patient dude....

On the EZD thing, I honestly don't know, but I don't think it should be a problem, maybe ask the guys over at the Toontrack site...

...do you know if I can run EZ Drummer on two different machines - I wan't to install it on my weekday machine and my home machine - I haven't paid for it yet - just been using the trial version for the last two weeks but I'm fairly impressed with it.

Yeah...you can get up to 3 active authentications on the registration page, you just need to provide computer IDs for each one...and you could possibly request even more if really needed.

I've had EZ and SD on two machines for awhile now...though I just using it on one, the other is my old DAW box.

I wouldn't have recognized you on the street. :D

The only image I had of you was from a couple of pics you posted awhile back operating those mining machines.
I think you had short hair with no gray, no beard (I think), and you were a bit...ahhh...leaner looking. :p ;)

I wouldn't have recognized you on the street. :D

The only image I had of you was from a couple of pics you posted awhile back operating those mining machines.
I think you had short hair, no gray, no bear, and you were a bit...ahhh...leaner looking. :p ;)

Lol.....I grew this gut about 5-6 years ago, & can't get rid of it...All the weight I lost when I got sick was muscle, the gut stayed...

I actually used to have pretty good sized arms from working as a coal miner, but I'm gonna have to build myself back up again...
My t-shirts are still tight, just in the wrong place, the gut instead of the arms/sleeves....:laughings:.

On the hair thing, I've been growing it for about 6 years now, so the pics of me at work, I most likely had my hair in a pony-tail...much more comfortable than having that shit wrap around your face while you're stooped over...

Ok, another shitty video here, the audio is good IMO, but I just can't get either of my cameras to record in HD for some reason. I still need to figure that shit out...It says "HD" on YT, but the picture quality isn't that great...Anyway, here it is:

Signal chain: SG/LP > DSL100H > Greenback > i5

Amp settings:
Pic for SG-LP Comparison 2.JPG

Very good comparison. I hear the differences night and day, and even knowing that riff was born on an SG, I liked the LP clip way better. Better bite, better clarity with the LP.

Very good comparison. I hear the differences night and day, and even knowing that riff was born on an SG, I liked the LP clip way better. Better bite, better clarity with the LP.

Thanks dude, do you think since the bridge p'up in the LP isn't as hot as the SG's is what's making the difference??? The 498T might be compressing/overdriving a little more losing a tad bit of clarity...

BTW, those are the settings I usually end up with on the red/od1 channel, the green crunch mode with those settings is pretty flubby IMO...

Thanks dude, do you think since the bridge p'up in the LP isn't as hot as the SG's is what's making the difference??? The 498T might be compressing/overdriving a little more losing a tad bit of clarity...
It's probably the pickups and just the general construction of LPs make them a bit "snappier" than SGs.

This thread is unreal. The shit you guys have taught me and are still teaching me about stuff I really have no clue about is priceless to me. Not bragging or anything, but I've come a long way since I became so involved with this thread. Hard to believe we're about to hit 1,000 pages guys & for the most part, there hasn't been any shit/fighting/whatever. That plus everybody tries to help everybody is a win + win IMHO....

I wonder how different these 2 guitars would sound if I swapped the bridge p'ups out??? They both have the quick connectors, so it would probably be pretty easy. I can solder, but I find it takes an hour of prep work for a 10 second solder job...:D.

Give it a try. You can always swap it back.

You can also lower the pickup some on the SG if you wanna make it snappier as well. The bridge pickup is often very close to the strings on those guitars. Lowering the pickup will clean it up a bit.

Give it a try. You can always swap it back.

You can also lower the pickup some on the SG if you wanna make it snappier as well. The bridge pickup is often very close to the strings on those guitars. Lowering the pickup will clean it up a bit.

I might do that in a couple days man. It's not like I have to be anywhere every day like I used to...I've got pretty much all day everyday to whatever, & to be honest, I feel like a bird let out of a cage...

Miner, purely for novelty I commented on your video on YouTube instead of here :) I'm not worried about how long the speaker takes to break in really, it'll be done when it's done. It still sounds a fuck of a lot better than the old one.

I think you're right about the cloth Greg. Virtually everyone I see demoing my amp uses similar settings to me, treble on 3 o'clock, bass and middle at 9 o'clock.

Cheers, Miro. Will probably pay for EZD today so I can prepare some drums tracks this week for recording on the weekend.

My mate and his mrs who've been helping me with lyrics for my stuff want to do a couple of Bad Religion covers, so that should be fun.

Back