The New Tone Thread

Tad: Thanks for listening to my clip & for the compliments...Maybe I just need a totally clean tone for the intro guitar, I dunno...Thanks again dude...:).

I like the vids myself dude, keep posting 'em....
I like the tone around 3:05 the best, from there it just keeps getting fuzzier without much definition. But, I'm sure you could play with the settings on the fuzz/amp, & come up with something that's killer. I'm not a big fan of fuzz pedals myself, although I do like a lot of gain....Good job on the video, I like the pic in pic, titles, everything. Again, good job man!!!

Thanx a lot, Tad.

I LOVE your videos. Especially now that I know you're not Minerman. You still look healthy but now it's irrelevant. :D

Copied from the Custom SG thread:

Eric Clapton The Fool copy test tones.

I was using a '66 Fender Bassman head with a 2x12 closed back cabinet (speakers are 25 year old Jensen Bluebell clones). Volume 5.5, and Bass and treble are 8.5. The rhythm track is just guitar and amp through the neck pickup (from my EPI DOT) and the lead is done as follows first and third pass just the neck. Second pass is both pickups. I also used a Jekyll and Hyde pedal (kind of a tube screamer and an OCD in the same pedal) for the lead only and used the overdrive (tube screamer) section. Settings on the pedal, Drive 10 o'clock, tone at 2 o'clock, volume at 1 o'clock with the bass boast on. I used an SM 57 pointing away from the dust cap, almost touching the grill. I also have the cab stacked vertically and mic'd the top speaker.

I should note the amp was recorded in my closet (I'm not happy with the recordings in there so I'm just starting to experiment with some other areas to record them)and this was quick and dirty for some tone samples.

That sounds good Bill...I went back & re-read the whole thread about your SG, & I think it's just really cool myself...

Nice tones, & the SG looks great, pretty much a spot-on recreation, for a lot less $$$ so IMO it's a win+win...:)

Bill,
Closet Creepers did alright.
I assume that's the option to reduce household/neighbourhood hell.
Nice playing too!

Ok, tried a little video, but I gotta warn you it's nowhere near as good as Tadupi's, but I did the best I could, & it was a learning experience for me. I'm sure the next one will be better....Lemme know what you guys think....

I did everything with Reaper btw, it's still a learn as I go thing, but it turned out ok I suppose...

Miner, that tone you're getting at around 3:05 is badass, IMO, YMMV, etc. Sounds like that SG is working out for you pretty damn good so far - not sure if it's any different with your LP but that tone, like I said, starting around 3:05 just has a nice bite to it. Good shit!

And shit, I guess I better just quit lurking around for once...

Tadpui, that firefly fuzz sounds badass. That very first setting was where it's at for my taste. You ever given the wampler velvet a go?

More to follow...gotta catch up here. :D

Miner, that tone you're getting at around 3:05 is badass, IMO, YMMV, etc. Sounds like that SG is working out for you pretty damn good so far - not sure if it's any different with your LP but that tone, like I said, starting around 3:05 just has a nice bite to it. Good shit!

Thanks man, I really, really like this SG. It's tone is really similar to my LP, in fact, almost identical, but it feels way different playing it. The action on my LP is good, but the SG is just un-real IMO, it plays so easily, it almost plays itself....Again, I'm liking this thing a lot...

I should have some better tones before too much longer too, I should be getting the Ceriatone amp back I sold last fall, which to me, blows the DSL100H completely away. Don't get me wrong, the DSL is a good amp, but it doesn't have the "kerrang"/plexi thing the Ceriatone has....

Thanks again dude!!!

Cool vid miner. You don't look half as sick as I was expecting.

Tone sounds great, seems to really want to slip into a real musical feedback whenever you let a chord ring out.

Do you think the Les Paul might end up for sale then?

Ok, tried a little video, but I gotta warn you it's nowhere near as good as Tadupi's, but I did the best I could, & it was a learning experience for me. I'm sure the next one will be better....Lemme know what you guys think....

I did everything with Reaper btw, it's still a learn as I go thing, but it turned out ok I suppose...

Aspect ratio miner dude! Everything seems a little thinner than it should be. except the sound. Nice work.;)

How come it sounds like crickets on standby?
Cool to see your dial MM.
I though things were tame volume wise until the 1st bit of feedback started in quiet spots.
I aslo needed to turn the vol into my headphones up because the missus had turned verything down during the day.
plenty loud and the tone after 3mins is full of teeth.
A good 1st demo vid MM &, again, good to see your dial.
Oh, the Epi SG I mentioned - seems the seller has done the flit. I offered to buy it & hard case + postage but he's not reponded for a week. C'est l'guerre!

Last edited:

Hey good job miner!

Goddamn yall, you're gonna peer pressure me into learning video. I've managed to avoid it for so long.

The tones sound great. It's a little tubby, a little, but not bad at all. The bite and growl of the gain is good without being excessive when you lay into it. That guitar is a thing of beauty.

Just fix the aspect ratio of the vid and you're in good shape.

How come it sounds like crickets on standby?
Cool to see your dial MM.
I though things were tame volume wise until the 1st bit of feedback started in quiet spots.
I aslo needed to turn the vol into my headphones up because the missus had turned verything down during the day.
plenty loud and the tone after 3mins is full of teeth.
A good 1st demo vid MM &, again, good to see your dial.
Oh, the Epi SG I mentioned - seems the seller has done the flit. I offered to buy it & hard case + postage but he's not reponded for a week. C'est l'guerre!

Don't you hate that? If a fucker is selling something, at least have the courtesy to respond.

Goddamn yall, you're gonna peer pressure me into learning video. I've managed to avoid it for so long.
Get on it, Greg. Its easy. You can get away with just using your normal recording set up and your phone for the video.
Then just import your video file and audio file into Windows Movie Maker and synch them up - just remember to mute the audio from the phone (which I didn't do completely) or it'll sound shit.

Cool video miner, and even cooler tones. my mental image of you was somewhat like Al Jolson in the Jazz Singer, as if you'd just come up from the coalface. Hearing your accent's great as well. :D

Get on it, Greg. Its easy. You can get away with just using your normal recording set up and your phone for the video.
Then just import your video file and audio file into Windows Movie Maker and synch them up - just remember to mute the audio from the phone (which I didn't do completely) or it'll sound shit.

That already sounds like more trouble than it's worth.

Back