The New Tone Thread

Evening gents, I'm just having a well deserved cider after spending the afternoon introducing my nieces to home recording!

She's 12 years old and is bit pitchy but she sounds better than me!

View attachment HTWA.mp3

Much like that Lester G, it's a pedal that nobody really needs but was too damn cool to pass up.
people who have enough imagination will find a LOT of stuff to do with it.

Live I use my POG2 a LOT ..... and my B9 a lot too.

I can envision the Lester K becoming an essential part of my rhythm sound.
A lot of extra movement when you're the only guitar on stage.

Yes, if what you do is just try to recreate other guitarist's sounds or simply duplicate guitar parts on records then it's only useful if you do a lot of stuff by artists that used Leslies.

But I don't think that way ..... I make virtually no effort to duplicate the sounds on songs I play ..... I do them the way I want to do them which is, in my mind, the way the original artists wished they had done them.
I play things differently every night ..... part of why I don't get bored with things after having played them umpty-zillion times.
:)

Evening gents, I'm just having a well deserved cider after spending the afternoon introducing my nieces to home recording!

View attachment 96601

That actually sounds pretty good Jdude, only nit mix-wise is I'd like to hear her vocals a little more in the mix...Pretty good singer for a 12 year old...I did the same thing with my niece a couple/few years ago...Cool stuff man!!!

Yeah, I'm pretty pleased with it. She makes plenty of mistakes so it sounds better double tracked. The bored sounding second vocal in the chorus is her 14 year old sister. Impressed though, I ran ReaTune to see how they were doing and the older one was bang on the money most of the time.

Minerman - nice video.
I REALLY liked the clean sounds. After taht it's a matter of the colour combo to suit the song or taste.
The video - a small technology step for man & a huge technology leap for Minermankind.
JDOD,
That's really quite cool. Ennui from preteens is a head spin but I liked it. Are you going to "tune" the vocal or leave it as is?

View attachment 96601

I love it when kids show an interest and make a decent attempt at stuff like this. The vocal could go up a bit. Guitars sound good. I like the drum programming - some of the snare fills and ride work sounds impressively "human".

Nice. :)

Here's another vid, this is still a learning process for me, I got the video to go fullscreen, but it's not in HD. I used a different camera, so I'm sure it's something I did wrong somewhere along the line...

At least where the video is kinda blurry, you can't see how ugly my mug really is...:laughings:.

LOL. The aspect ratio is wrong in the opposite direction, this time!

Tone-wise, I really like the shimmery valve sound on the first tone you demoed.

The phase is a nice effect, but it kills everything I liked about the first clip!

Third clip - how can anybody say the JCM2000 series lacks tone? Sounds great.

Fourth clip, nice, but nothing to comment.

Fifth clip - that's the sound of ROCK!

Sixth clip - now that's gone far too far. :D I sort of recognise the riff. It's not Little Devil by the Cult, is it?

Nice vidja. :D

Cheers guys. I'm not gonna auto tune it, she'll probably want to resing it as she gets better.

Like bubba said, it's just cool they're taking an interest. They emailed me a list of a couple more they want to do. I need to go more upbeat and use a bit of crunch next time to stop them turning into Taylor Swift fans.

Miner, just checked out your video.

My favourite clip is the one with the SD1. My SD1 stays on those settings too although I occasionally add a touch of gain for lead - then forget to turn the gain off and spend ages fucking with my amp working out what's wrong.

I agree with bubba that the last clip has gone a bit too far, even though the gain setting is still pretty low.

I'd like to hear the last 2 channels when you've really dialled in the EQ. Keep the videos coming though. I'm impressed! Mine is well shit in comparison. Might have to redo it.

Thanks guys...The last vid I posted, I personally thought was shit. The guitar sounds were recorded in the daw & were ok, but I left 'em all about the same to show how the shared eq kinda sucks, but could be usable in a live situation...The video quality sucked too IMO...

I'm still learning about the cameras I have, & the aspect ratio, which I have made progress with today....Maybe I'll post another vid in a couple days...

Thanks again guys!!!

I'm now subscribed to your channel, Miner. I expect a stream of high quality instructional videos to come out on a regular schedule now!

I'm now subscribed to your channel, Miner. I expect a stream of high quality instructional videos to come out on a regular schedule now!

+1. I want to learn how to talk hillbilly! :D

P.S. I have the first draft of a new song in the clinic. :)

Thanks guys...The last vid I posted, I personally thought was shit. The guitar sounds were recorded in the daw & were ok, but I left 'em all about the same to show how the shared eq kinda sucks, but could be usable in a live situation...The video quality sucked too IMO...

I'm still learning about the cameras I have, & the aspect ratio, which I have made progress with today....Maybe I'll post another vid in a couple days...

Thanks again guys!!!

You did showcase the shortcomings of the shared EQ. I personally found the Clean/Crunch tones pretty good, and the Lead channels tones kind of thin. Good vid though. You jumped right into that stuff. :D

You didn't ask, but I'd suggest quicker fades and stuff.

Thanks again guys!!!
I'm liking the vids man .... they're pretty good already .... as you learn more you'll be able to teach me!!
As for the accent ..... I'm from La. amd live in Fl. I'm not finding the accent that extreme myself.

Nice toans from that amp ..... I liked first and third best myself.

Get on it, Greg. Its easy. You can get away with just using your normal recording set up and your phone for the video.
Then just import your video file and audio file into Windows Movie Maker and synch them up - just remember to mute the audio from the phone (which I didn't do completely) or it'll sound shit.
I've got one of the Zoom Q3s ..... that ought to do for passable vids huh?

It is set up for decent audio without any syncing anything up.

I played this gig last night opening for one of the worst piece of shit cheese bands of all time. I won't even mention them. But....what happened is what I always like to happen - these 80s/90s nostalgia acts draw no one, and us local guys out-draw the "headliner". We played to a pretty crowded house of our own folk, and then the bigshots came out to crickets. But anyway, that's not what this is about.

The very fist band were these kids, I say kids, they were under 21 but old enough to play a gig by themselves, probably 19-20. Anyway, they were a Megadeth cover band. Lol. Lots of hair, really pointy guitars, the works. Bless their hearts, they were playing through some of the tiniest micro-practice amps I'd ever seen on an actual stage. Like Spinal Tap's Stonehenge, these amps were in danger....of being crushed....by a dwarf. But they were mic'd up, so of course we could all hear the glory of these electric shoeboxes. Needless to say it sounded like fucking dogshit. But these kids could play their asses off. They were actually very good at what they were doing, even if it was someone else's shitty songs. They were double-bassing and wank shredding all over the place and doing it very well. Man, if those kids had better amps....and wrote their own songs... they'd be pretty good.

Thanks guys, again, this video stuff is a learn-as-I-go thing. It's not really hard at all, I just have a hard time getting my head around what aspect ratio my camera(s) actually record at, & what's best for YouTube. I think I've figured that out, & if so, the picture quality should be a lot better...The audio for the guitars is dead simple, as it's recorded in the daw. I use the re-amp box with that too, in case the tone is terrible, I can just re-amp it again to sound better....There's no way I could use the guitar sounds the camera captured, it was clipped to hell, as I had the amp on 5, which is probably gig volume, or maybe even more....

The last vid all the tone knobs on the amp were basically on "5", & it did show the shared eq is basically shit. The green channel tones were pretty good, but the red channel were sucky, most likely because I had the treble on 5, where it should've been around 1-2...

I'll try to get another one up in a few days...And when I get the Chupa back, I'll definitely put up a vid of that amp....

On the hillbilly accent, dunno if you can learn that or not, I think you have to live around here & be exposed to that shit...:D.

Bob: I've heard those Zoom cameras do pretty good both video & audio wise, you may have a winner there.

Thanks again guys!!!!

I played this gig last night opening for one of the worst piece of shit cheese bands of all time. I won't even mention them. But....what happened is what I always like to happen - these 80s/90s nostalgia acts draw no one, and us local guys out-draw the "headliner". We played to a pretty crowded house of our own folk, and then the bigshots came out to crickets. But anyway, that's not what this is about.

The very fist band were these kids, I say kids, they were under 21 but old enough to play a gig by themselves, probably 19-20. Anyway, they were a Megadeth cover band. Lol. Lots of hair, really pointy guitars, the works. Bless their hearts, they were playing through some of the tiniest micro-practice amps I'd ever seen on an actual stage. Like Spinal Tap's Stonehenge, these amps were in danger....of being crushed....by a dwarf. But they were mic'd up, so of course we could all hear the glory of these electric shoeboxes. Needless to say it sounded like fucking dogshit. But these kids could play their asses off. They were actually very good at what they were doing, even if it was someone else's shitty songs. They were double-bassing and wank shredding all over the place and doing it very well. Man, if those kids had better amps....and wrote their own songs... they'd be pretty good.

that pretty cool.. and if the kids can actually play that sort of stuff and do it well there's no reason that they cant turn their hand to anything and do it well when they ditch the pointys let a few chords ring out into feedback intead of palm muting the shit out of everything.

Speaking of letting chords ring out. My nieces have been monopolising my recording time this week but I did stick this into one of the covers I am working on with them.

View attachment BH.mp3

Quite pleased with this one - I've altered my mic placement slightly - only a small change but it seems to make just the right amount of difference.

My nieces have been happily singing along to the tracks I've prepared for them but I had to record that when they were here - they were pretty surprised by just how loud it was!

Back