The New Tone Thread

Don't underestimate the speaker. Yall's speakers are quite different.

Good point. I have zero experience hearing different speakers in the same amp so it's interesting to hear that sample. It's weird, TripleM's tone sounds both more raw in the mids yest just as tight when he does the muted string punches.

Shit, probably not for a few weeks. They build them to order....so they say. Supposedly they don't have them sitting around on shelves. So it's still gonna be a little while unless some miracle happens.
Aw fuck man, I didn't know that, I thought they already had 'em built, ready to send out....I'd like to have one to fuck around with just to see what it does to the sound/feel of my amps...I already know if you attenuate it down to bedroom levels it's gonna have a big effect on the sound, I'm just really curious to how an attenuator would do with my Ceriatone, in "regular" mode, where it's about like a super lead....

Tadpui: The speaker will have a great effect on the sound dude, different speakers will give you a different character, IE: a G12H's mid-range is a little different than a Greenback, & has it's own crunch (that's also a little different) when pushed....

Hey thanks guys.

Tadpui and MM - yes that's the green crunch channel.

I'm not a speaker expert, but I'm sure that greg and MM are right.

I also think that playing style might have an impact too. I took care to *not* slash through all 6 stings as I was playing. I took very small strokes, playing 3-5 strings with each stab. I'll try to test this theory. I'll keep the whole thing the same, and change my playing style. I'll make sure I take big swings through all 6 stings. I'll play the same thing and post the result. Then we'll see what the reactions are. Unfortunately, it's gonna take me a couple of days. Too much other crap to do.

Thanks again.

Oh and Bob, I've loves me some Kinks guitar sound. So that's good to hear.

Hey guys,

Can I join in here with a track?

Let me know how the guitars sound on this. In particular, the solos at 2:00 and 3:00, as well as the wah part at 2:30

But generally, how do the guitars sound. I tried a few new things on my tracks and I think they worked, but I've been known to convince myself something is awesome when it really isn't.

Do't mind the drum machine. I always do my drums last and I haven't got around to recording the drums for this yet.

Attachments

• Test Tickle.mp3
    7.6 MB · Views: 9
Hey guys,

Can I join in here with a track?

Let me know how the guitars sound on this. In particular, the solos at 2:00 and 3:00, as well as the wah part at 2:30

But generally, how do the guitars sound. I tried a few new things on my tracks and I think they worked, but I've been known to convince myself something is awesome when it really isn't.

Do't mind the drum machine. I always do my drums last and I haven't got around to recording the drums for this yet.

I'm kind of torn on this guitar sound. I think you play it all really good and captured it nice, it all seems a little nasal though. The rhythms aren't that bad but I think they could use more low mids. A little more chunk to balance out all that midrange. The leads are quite a bit more nasal sounding to me. They almost sound like you played through a half-cocked wah. It's a neat effect if that's what you're going for, but if not, something went off somewhere. The wah part sounds great though. That's just how I'm hearing it. Good drums too. :D

I'm kind of torn on this guitar sound. I think you play it all really good and captured it nice, it all seems a little nasal though. The rhythms aren't that bad but I think they could use more low mids. A little more chunk to balance out all that midrange. The leads are quite a bit more nasal sounding to me. They almost sound like you played through a half-cocked wah. It's a neat effect if that's what you're going for, but if not, something went off somewhere. The wah part sounds great though. That's just how I'm hearing it. Good drums too. :D
OK, thanx man. This is as raw as it can be. No EQ, delay, reverb, compression, etc.....I used a different patch than usual on both the rythm and the lead. I found I sometimes got too "sizzly" a sound, so I tried different patches. The rythms are supposed to be "70's Marshall", and the lead is "80's Marshall JCM". I know that what they call their patched probably doesn't mean anything, but that's what they're supposed to be. I also moved the mic a little further away from the cone, maybe I went too far. I'll see how all this sounds when the utne's finished. If it doesn't work with some EQ, I'll just re re-amp them. Thanx Man.

the guitar prior to the lead (the one doing the stabs) has too much gain for my taste and is nasally sounding.
The first lead sounds much the same ..... kinda 'tweedly dee' ..... can barely tell there even IS a wah so it needs more wah ..... the final lead at 3:00 sounds better to me .... so is it the same as the first lead and my ears are fooling me? Or is it different?
Either way the only git sound I liked was the 3:00 one.

sorry ..... just my ears.

the guitar prior to the lead (the one doing the stabs) has too much gain for my taste and is nasally sounding.
The first lead sounds much the same ..... kinda 'tweedly dee' ..... can barely tell there even IS a wah so it needs more wah ..... the final lead at 3:00 sounds better to me .... so is it the same as the first lead and my ears are fooling me? Or is it different?
Either way the only git sound I liked was the 3:00 one.

sorry ..... just my ears.
Thanx Bob. It's the exact same thing for both solos.

The wah isn't on either solo. It's on the staccato part at 2:30.

The first thing that went through my mind was the cocked wah sound....sounds like my first few recordings I did with my Zoom HD8....:D.

Definitely more beef/chunk on the rhythm guitars dude....

Dunno Rami, I think part of what I'm hearing is the guitars being really dry sounding compared to the drums (which are kick-ass btw...:))....Maybe put a little 'verb on 'em (especially the lead), & notch out the mid-honk might help it...

The first thing that went through my mind was the cocked wah sound....sounds like my first few recordings I did with my Zoom HD8....:D.

Definitely more beef/chunk on the rhythm guitars dude....

Dunno Rami, I think part of what I'm hearing is the guitars being really dry sounding compared to the drums (which are kick-ass btw...:))....Maybe put a little 'verb on 'em (especially the lead), & notch out the mid-honk might help it...
Thanx man. Well, that was my point in posting them, I didn't want to add reverb or EQ them at all. I will when I finish tracking the song and mix it. I never thought of the fact that those canned drums are processed and reverbed, so it makes the guitars sound even drier than they are. I'm in no rush with this tune. I tried something, seems it didn't work, so I'll probably re-amp again. That's the beauty of re-amping and keeping your direct tracks. I can re-do everything with totally different sounds.

Thanx man. Well, that was my point in posting them, I didn't want to add reverb or EQ them at all. I will when I finish tracking the song and mix it. I never thought of the fact that those canned drums are processed and reverbed, so it makes the guitars sound even drier than they are.
Ok dude, fair enough, I was just mentioning that maybe they'd sit in the mix a little better if you added a little 'verb....no biggie dude...but you're right, get it right at the source....:).

I tried something, seems it didn't work, so I'll probably re-amp again. That's the beauty of re-amping and keeping your direct tracks. I can re-do everything with totally different sounds.
Yep, I always record di's along with the amp'd track, just in case....Do you use a re-amp box Rami??? I know some people (I've read anyway) use different pedals (I've read about people using od pedals for this) instead of a re-amp box...just wondering....

And, while I'm at it, what were you using on those guitar tones???

And, while I'm at it, what were you using on those guitar tones???
I'm using a Strat for the rythm guitar on the right. All the other guitars are my SG. Everything goes into my Fender Super Champ X2. I use a Re-amp box, the blue box by Radial. The Super Champ is a tube amp, but it has 16 pre-sets, from Fender Tweed to Fender Bassman to mesa Boogie to Marshall JCM to a few others.

I'm in the middle of re-amping everything again. I'll post the new tracks in a few minutes.

You can supposedly use a buffered pedal for reamping to fix the impedance mismatch from line to instrument. It has to be buffered, a true bypass does nothing for you. But the buffered does nothing for the super hot signal unless your pedal has a volume control that will go below unity. If you want the amp to react like it's supposed to, you gotta somehow get that signal down to instrument level..

OK, let's try this again.

I went back to the tones I usually use. Again, no EQ or reverb or anything. I will do all that, but these are the raw tones I'm working with. Better? worse?

Attachments

• Test Tickle2.mp3
    7.6 MB · Views: 7
You can supposedly use a buffered pedal for reamping to fix the impedance mismatch from line to instrument. It has to be buffered, a true bypass does nothing for you. But the buffered does nothing for the super hot signal unless your pedal has a volume control that will go below unity. If you want the amp to react like it's supposed to, you gotta somehow get that signal down to instrument level..
That's what I was trying to remember/say a while ago dude...Before I bought the Radial box I have, I tried all kinds of shit, but it never really worked...The re-amp boxes have a little transformer in 'em that fixes the impedance...

Rami: Do you find you signal from the Radial box is a little lower than plugging straight into your amp??? I have the same box, & it seems to me I have to raise the level of the send...

2nd clip sounds better to me Rami....especially the rhythm tones....the lead tone still has a little of that middy sound as before, but it seems like it's not as prominent to me....

Back