The New Tone Thread

Yeah, but for you that's just mostly showing up and playing. He's gonna have to do the band practice thing on a regular basis and having that an hour away would really suck, especially in the beginning.
well ..... I show up and spend an hour setting up and then play but I don't consider an hour in a car to be a big deal.
hell, it could take 90 minutes just to get across Baton Rouge with traffic.

However I don't do rehearsals much so there is that.

Okay fresh clip of the new 50w Plexi reissue.

Les Paul Traditional - Burstbucker 3 bridge
Marshall 1987x
Pres - 6
Bass - 4
Mid - 7
Treb - 6
Vol 1 - 8
Vol 2 - 0
High input 1
Marshall 1960A - Greenback - SM57 on axis, on grill, just outside dustcap
No EQ in DAW

50w Plexi test 1

That's definitely more saturated than I'm used to hearing from you. It still sounds like classic Marshall. Nice low end on it, and it retains clarity even though it's dirtier than your other heads. Personally, I like it a lot.

Greg,
The 50 W sample certainly showed it's sweet spots.
REALLY cool sound even if it doesn't thump chest - there's always the hope that bass & drums will fulfill their part in that contract.
I really enjoyed the sample!
Minerman,
Miner Frehley = Underground Ace = Black Diamond Digger - you ought to insist on Black Diamond - dedicate it to the mole men of the fossil fuel industry and have a guitar that fires out coal dust or dead canaries!

That's definitely more saturated than I'm used to hearing from you. It still sounds like classic Marshall. Nice low end on it, and it retains clarity even though it's dirtier than your other heads. Personally, I like it a lot.

Greg,
The 50 W sample certainly showed it's sweet spots.
REALLY cool sound even if it doesn't thump chest - there's always the hope that bass & drums will fulfill their part in that contract.
I really enjoyed the sample!

Thanks guys! That clip is pretty saturated, but the amp is almost cranked. It's giving just about all it's got, which is just fine for me because I pretty much never use any more gain than that anyway. I'll try to do some 50 vs 100 watt comparo clips today. I'm gonna go over the 50w with a fine tooth comb and check the bias and stuff.

miner - travel is a bitch no matter where you are. You can live out in the boonies with few options and have to travel and hour to practice because you live in the sticks, or live in a big city with lots of options and travel an hour to practice because you have to deal with traffic and millions of people. One of my bands practices about 15-20 minutes away so that's no big deal. The other practices about 30-40 minutes away, which also isn't a big deal, but it only takes one wreck to turn that into an hour or more. Gigs are always 30 min to an hour away. Gigs suck because you usually gotta get there early, load in, and then sit for hours waiting to play. The biggest bitch about any of it IMO is hauling gear just to practice. I've worked it out so all I need to bring to my drum practice is a snare and some sticks. We have a little kit at the practice house. All I bring to guitar practice is a guitar and a head because the cabs are there already. It all works out pretty good for me, but I've fine tuned my approach. If I had to haul a full drum kit or guitar rig twice a week I'd probably just pick one or the other. Probably guitar because hauling and setting up drums sucks ass.

I knew there's be at least one good pic from Saturday! :)

lol ..... looks like I'm trying to figure out where my fat fingers go!

Attachments

• me!.jpg
    me!.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 37
Lt. bob is much more of looker than i once thought. great taste in head wear in that one with Tommy Talton. Great images Lt. Bob.

Greg: Plexi sounds deadly man. When you are picking those notes it has that nice little bite to it. I dig that sound. It's perfect to my ears. Feedback sounds amazing as well.

Minerdude!!!: I got an email yesterday i think that you had uploaded a song to soundcloud and when i got to work to listen to it, it was gone. Why you gotta be that way man ? It was the only thing making me look forward to work.

(NEVERMIND MINER I FOUND IT IN THE MP3 Clinic)

Last edited:
Bob, I've always been a big fan of your father's. He's a great sports writer:

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 54
Ray: Thanks for the encouragement dude!!!

Greg: Yeah it sucks man, but I'm still gonna do something this year no matter what....I've been idle for too long, & it's eating away at me...I know I can still gig, only thing I've been out of that game for so long, it'll almost be like starting completely over...almost...Got a text from the singer today, & he's supposed to talk to the rest of the band tomorrow, so I'll find out about the audition/try-out in a day or two...

Bob: Great pics man!!!

Shan: Dude, I had no idea you were following me on SC, really...sorry man....The reason I took it down is because even though I posted an mp3 in the clinic, SC degraded the sound terribly...Dunno what, if anything I can do about that because I ain't gonna pay for SC (I did that with Soundclick for a few years), but I'm not gonna have my tunes sound worse than they already do...lol...I uploaded a 320kb mp3 to both sites, & Dropbox won on the sound quality...

Ray: Thanks for the encouragement dude!!!

Greg: Yeah it sucks man, but I'm still gonna do something this year no matter what....I've been idle for too long, & it's eating away at me...I know I can still gig, only thing I've been out of that game for so long, it'll almost be like starting completely over...almost...Got a text from the singer today, & he's supposed to talk to the rest of the band tomorrow, so I'll find out about the audition/try-out in a day or two...

Bob: Great pics man!!!

Shan: Dude, I had no idea you were following me on SC, really...sorry man....The reason I took it down is because even though I posted an mp3 in the clinic, SC degraded the sound terribly...Dunno what, if anything I can do about that because I ain't gonna pay for SC (I did that with Soundclick for a few years), but I'm not gonna have my tunes sound worse than they already do...lol...I uploaded a 320kb mp3 to both sites, & Dropbox won on the sound quality...

Soundcloud will transcode the MP3 to another compressed format (it only provides support for 128kbps), so quality will drop. If you render to a wav file then upload that to soundcloud, it only gets compressed once, so you might get better quality doing that. It's worth a quick experiment to see if it sounds better to you.

Soundcloud will transcode the MP3 to another compressed format (it only provides support for 128kbps), so quality will drop. If you render to a wav file then upload that to soundcloud, it only gets compressed once, so you might get better quality doing that. It's worth a quick experiment to see if it sounds better to you.

Good to know actually. Thanks man.

Great pics Boob! Is that the only sax you play? My wife plays a tenor. What's one? An alto or something?

Greg: Plexi sounds deadly man. When you are picking those notes it has that nice little bite to it. I dig that sound. It's perfect to my ears. Feedback sounds amazing as well.
)
Thanks dude. :)

Here's some pics.

yeah .... it's an alto.
I played tenor for many years and had all 5 main saxes (tenor, alto, c-melody, soprano and baritone) .... but I didn't play in horn bands that much ....... sometimes did, but mostly it was guitar bands where I played sax and guitar and they were loud so I was after the loudest sax I could find and alto is by far the loudest.

I still have a tenor but unlike most sax players I don't double on tenor/alto or sax/flute ...... I double on guitar and I already have enough crap to carry around so one sax is it.

Also .... it is my belief that if you really want to play well you need to play one instrument because all saxes are outta tune and you have to lip them into tune across the range of the horn.
Maybe G will be a bit sharp but A will be flat etc.

So the only way to get where you're not having to think about it is to play one horn all the time.
And the only way to really flow when soloing is to not have to think about it.
ergo: the only way to really flow is to play only one horn.

I actually have two Selmer Super Action 80's but only play one of them all the time for that very reason .... EVERY single sax is different tuning-wise. Not every model but every sax.
About a month ago at an outside gig a local guitarist (who's VERY good) came up and told me he knew it was me as soon as he got out of his car.
I asked him, "Why? Do I have a unique sound?" .... hoping that I did.
He replied, "No ..... because you play in tune!"

:laughings: ..... not what I was hoping for!

The amp: Holy crap that's a beautiful clean amp inside and out ...... great buy!

Bob
Nice pics, and it sounds like you had a sweet run last week. Hopefully you get to rest up now, but I kinda doubt it :)

Greg
That really is a nice looking head, sparkling clean for used gear. Heck, that's clean for new gear, I bet that amp heads get dirtier than that just sitting around at Guitar Center.

e'erbody
Well, I got some new acoustic panels and I'm trying to judge how much less lively my room is now. They're folding gobos that I can place anywhere, so I basically put them near my listening position so they'd effectively block the untreated flanks of my room, creating a little cave-like dead zone under my ceiling cloud. It sounds way deader to my ears in this spot but only the brutally honest ears of a condenser mic will be the true judge. So I recorded this little snippet of a solo acoustic guitar, but I haven't been able to listen to it outside of my room yet. So I can't judge how much of the room is still in the signal since I'm listening in the same spot that it was recorded in.

This is a Martin D-41 (with super dead strings...gotta change those soon)
Mic is a Shure SM81, about 24" away, pointed at the neck joint
Preamp is one of the ones integrated into my interface
Added a high-pass EQ to take out some low end rumble
And I sent it through Waves L1 to bring up the volume

Sloppy playing but I just made up this riff recently and haven't practiced it much yet.

Back