The New Tone Thread

Rami: Do you find you signal from the Radial box is a little lower than plugging straight into your amp??? I have the same box, & it seems to me I have to raise the level of the send...
Hehe...I think we've already had this conversation. I find the opposite. It puts out a hotter signal than my guitar going straight in would.

2nd clip sounds better to me Rami....especially the rhythm tones....the lead tone still has a little of that middy sound as before, but it seems like it's not as prominent to me....
Great man. Thanx. Looks like I should have stuck with what has worked for me before. I can EQ that lead track. Like I said, nothing is EQ'd or anything. I know some guys like Greg can get a good sound without EQ'ing it at all. But I'm not there yet. I definitely have to high pass and cut some muddiness out of my tracks most of the time.

Hehe...I think we've already had this conversation. I find the opposite. It puts out a hotter signal than my guitar going straight in would.
Yeah, I remember now, dunno why but I thought it was ido1957 that I'd asked that before....sorry dude....:o.

Great man. Thanx. Looks like I should have stuck with what has worked for me before. I can EQ that lead track. Like I said, nothing is EQ'd or anything. I know some guys like Greg can get a good sound without EQ'ing it at all. But I'm not there yet. I definitely have to high pass and cut some muddiness out of my tracks most of the time.
It's not a big deal IMO Rami, there was some eq on the individual tracks in my last song, not much but just sayin'....Greg's got this shit down too dude...

I know some guys like Greg can get a good sound without EQ'ing it at all.

That's not always true though. I EQ a little every now and then. It's usually a little shelf drop in the high end to get rid of some hiss. I don't cut out notches or low/high pass anything. I like shelves for the low or high end. A shelf doesn't get rid of anything. It just manages it. I like to talk about not EQing anything because I'm happy when things work out that way, but I'm not against EQ if it needs it. I just get lucky sometimes.

Tickle 2 tickled my fancy RAMI.
I'd be more than happy to have recorded those tones.
The staccato wah is much clearer in this version as well.

2nd clip sounds better to me ... the leads sound a LOT better
so do you record the git straight into the recorder and reamp or do you reamp a mic'd recording?
Great, thanx. Glad it sounds better. These are my usual sounds. To answer your question, I always record the direct, clean signal, so that's what I re-amp. I've tried re-amping an already mic'd sound. Never works.

That's not always true though. I EQ a little every now and then. It's usually a little shelf drop in the high end to get rid of some hiss. I don't cut out notches or low/high pass anything. I like shelves for the low or high end. A shelf doesn't get rid of anything. It just manages it. I like to talk about not EQing anything because I'm happy when things work out that way, but I'm not against EQ if it needs it. I just get lucky sometimes.
That makes sense. I don't EQ the shit out of my tracks, but I usually do have to either high-pass or aggressively shelf the low end.

Tickle 2 tickled my fancy RAMI.
I'd be more than happy to have recorded those tones.
The staccato wah is much clearer in this version as well.
Great. Thanx Ray. I'll keep those tracks.

(and it's "test tickle". You have to say it out loud). :D

Thanx guys.

I always record the direct, clean signal, so that's what I re-amp.

that's what I figured .......
Another question on that.

Do you play with an amp or sim acting as sort of a monitor when you record the tracks?

Because I play totally different when the sound is clean as opposed to dirty.
I'm not quite sure i could play clean but still play as if it were dirty because of the differences in sustain, compression and 'feel'.

that's what I figured .......
Another question on that.

Do you play with an amp or sim acting as sort of a monitor when you record the tracks?

Because I play totally different when the sound is clean as opposed to dirty.
I'm not quite sure i could play clean but still play as if it were dirty because of the differences in sustain, compression and 'feel'.

You're absolutely right. I use a sim and try to get as close to the sound I think I want. No way I'd be able to lay tracks down with just the sound of a DI guitar. The Waves GTR 3 actually has some pretty good sounds in it, and a good variety of them.

I use a sim and try to get as close to the sound I think I want.
I do the same thing Rami, but instead of an ampsim, I use a mic'd track at the same time....That way, it gives me the feel of playing through my amp while recording the di at the same time....I've got pretty lucky the last little while with my mic'd tracks, as they've been "keepers", but the di is always there just in case....

I took some time off school work and went to the big guitar shop yesterday to try out some amps. They had one lefty guitar (in a room of about 500 guitars!), a Chinese Epiphone SG, which wasn't great, but they're less than £300, so that's to be expected. They have single coil tapping push pull volume knobs nowadays - the single coil option sounded baaaad.

I tried a Fender Hotrod Deluxe (maybe it was a mk3?) at about £630. I wanted to give this a go as I tried a Fender amp for about the same price that looked about the same a few years ago with a Gretsch Duo Jet with a Bigsby trem a while ago and it sounded so good. I thought maybe it was the same amp - it was pretty nice sounding, but didn't sound nearly as good, but then the Gretsch was over £2,000 more. I expected more sparkly cleans from the Fender, but I think the SG copy wasn't up to the job. The clean channel doesn't seem to have a master volume, you just have a channel volume which adds dirt as you crank it, and at 40W it gets very loud very fast. The OD channel was easier to get a good sound out of, it has a master volume and the cheap guitar sounded way better with some crunch and drive. That was pretty fun to play around with.

Then I tried an Orange. It was a Rockerverb 50C mkII - the 2x12 version. I love the Orange OD sound! I bashed around on that for a good while. I wanted to go on a Dual Terror again, but they didn't have one. If I see a Dual Terror for a decent price used, I'm going to pick it up for sure.

I also tried a Vox AC15. I think it was a 'C2' or something like that. I've played an AC15 hand wired combo with alnico blue speaker before and was absolutely dazzled by the chiming cleans. This thing wasn't even close, but then it's half the price at around £500. I think it has a crappy speaker in at that price - I don't know if hand wired has any effect - that's not the sort of thing I usually believe in. Even the crunch sounded bad. With the humbuckers on the SG, I thought it might redeem itself there, but it sounded shitty. I was disappointed. I think the combination of the cheap guitar and the speaker made the world of difference. The Orange sounded way better, but was more than double the price, of course.

I do the same thing Rami, but instead of an ampsim, I use a mic'd track at the same time....That way, it gives me the feel of playing through my amp while recording the di at the same time....I've got pretty lucky the last little while with my mic'd tracks, as they've been "keepers", but the di is always there just in case....
Right, I'd love to do that. But 99%of the reason I re-amp is because I like playing really late at night when I can't play with volume. If I was able to play with volume all the time, I probably wouldn't even re-amp. So, going through a sim with some distortion and sustain works for me, until I can crank and re-amp.

Right, I'd love to do that. But 99%of the reason I re-amp is because I like playing really late at night when I can't play with volume. If I was able to play with volume all the time, I probably wouldn't even re-amp. So, going through a sim with some distortion and sustain works for me, until I can crank and re-amp.
I get it dude...I bought a Randall ISO cab last year (to replace the one I made...which turned out to be a big mistake...I thought the Randall ISO would sound as good as the one I made, but it's not even close IMO), & I use the ISO cab late at night...For me, it always feels different playing through an amp compared to an ampsim...

For me, it always feels different playing through an amp compared to an ampsim...
I'm not a good enough player to REALLY notice a difference. If I have a decent enough distorted sound and some sustain, I'm good.

I bet you play as good or better than I do Rami....On the feel thing, it's hard for me to describe, but it's definitely there, for me anyway....

THis is the next step in my latest song.

Feedback in the clinic is mixed so I wonder if the guitars, as has been mentioned in there, sound a) a too dark, b) too loud or c) too widely panned.
This is the TONE THREAD after all & I want the tone to work now I have a vocal in the mix.
Any thoughts?

I know I commented in the clinic (can't remember exactly what I said), but I'll just comment on the distorted tone here...

I thought the tone was decent. A bit muddy. Not quite enough gain/distortion. If it were me, I'd retrack with the gain up a tick. *Maybe* push the treble up a tick. And/or notch the resulting track out somewhere around 300hz. Or something like that.

And I really like the song - don't know if I said that in the Clinic.

git tone is ok ...... maybe a little muddy but increasing the gain would make it even muddier IMO. often gain=muddy.
I do agree about bumping up the highs on the git .... maybe around3-5k and you could also puyll it down a bit at around 300 as suggested.
I'd make these changes pretty small though since it doesn't sound bad as is.

I miss this place when i have to do "In real life things" I hope i didn't miss anything.

I did some vocal recording yesterday with that new mic. I am hoping they sound o.k. Hope to have the results up by the weekend for you turkeys to listen to. that new mic is really the cats ass. It sounds alot warmer then my Apex Condenser.

I might also have to redo the guitars, or maybe even just one guitar track with the orange. right now it just has some sims on it and they are pretty lack lustre but i have been sitting on this stupid cover song for over 10 months now. What started out as fun is now growing a little stale. In any case. Hope to contribute something very soon.

I took some time off school work and went to the big guitar shop yesterday to try out some amps. They had one lefty guitar (in a room of about 500 guitars!), a Chinese Epiphone SG, which wasn't great, but they're less than £300, so that's to be expected. They have single coil tapping push pull volume knobs nowadays - the single coil option sounded baaaad.

I tried a Fender Hotrod Deluxe (maybe it was a mk3?) at about £630. I wanted to give this a go as I tried a Fender amp for about the same price that looked about the same a few years ago with a Gretsch Duo Jet with a Bigsby trem a while ago and it sounded so good. I thought maybe it was the same amp - it was pretty nice sounding, but didn't sound nearly as good, but then the Gretsch was over £2,000 more. I expected more sparkly cleans from the Fender, but I think the SG copy wasn't up to the job. The clean channel doesn't seem to have a master volume, you just have a channel volume which adds dirt as you crank it, and at 40W it gets very loud very fast. The OD channel was easier to get a good sound out of, it has a master volume and the cheap guitar sounded way better with some crunch and drive. That was pretty fun to play around with.

Then I tried an Orange. It was a Rockerverb 50C mkII - the 2x12 version. I love the Orange OD sound! I bashed around on that for a good while. I wanted to go on a Dual Terror again, but they didn't have one. If I see a Dual Terror for a decent price used, I'm going to pick it up for sure.

I also tried a Vox AC15. I think it was a 'C2' or something like that. I've played an AC15 hand wired combo with alnico blue speaker before and was absolutely dazzled by the chiming cleans. This thing wasn't even close, but then it's half the price at around £500. I think it has a crappy speaker in at that price - I don't know if hand wired has any effect - that's not the sort of thing I usually believe in. Even the crunch sounded bad. With the humbuckers on the SG, I thought it might redeem itself there, but it sounded shitty. I was disappointed. I think the combination of the cheap guitar and the speaker made the world of difference. The Orange sounded way better, but was more than double the price, of course.

Ha, good reviews. Those Rockerverbs are killer. I've lost track of all the Vox AC models. Some are legend, some are bargain basement models. They should call them something different. But I guess keeping the AC name with some weird suffix gets them sales. The real ACs kick ass.

Back