The New Tone Thread

Is the titanium slide brittle sounding like a piece of copper Bob??? I've always wondered about the different types, but never tried anything else...

if it were I wouldn't use it. I know some people like that copper tube thing but I never have.
And I've played with a BIC lighter once ..... they truly suck. Plastic does not equate to sustain! :D

The titanium sounds ..... well, it kinda has it's own sound.
I wouldn't know how to describe it really but it is similar to a heavy glass slide soundwise, a nice balanced full-tange tone ..... but it has far more sustain.
A glass slide sorta dies away kinda quickly while this thing just sustains away. .....

And the heavy one really has amazing sustain ..... kinda like a pedal steel bar.
But I don't use it on gigs ..... it's too heavy and I have a hard time getting it to stop exactly where I want it.

The guy also made me a pick of titanium that was astonishing ........ but I lost it within a week! :(

I've always wondered about the different types, but never tried anything else...

I don't play slide as much as I did in my younger days, but I have a bunch of different kinds...glass, steel, brass, ceramic....and in all kinds of different shapes, sizes, and thickness.
All in all...I lean toward glass, but as long as the fit is right, it doesn't matter so much to me.

Last year I was messing around with some slide guitar parts, and since it was so long since the last time I tried playing slide, I sat there and went through my entire collection, trying to see which one would feel the most comfortable for me.
I too tend to be stuck between using pinky or ring...like you say, sometimes one feels right, sometimes the other...which is why I have so many different style slides. :D

Anyway...I decided I would look for a slide that could easily work for both pinky and ring, and fit perfectly on both...which seemed like a tall order...but I came across these Silica Slides, hand blown glass, and uniquely made so that the glass is thicker at the top (almost twice as thick), which means it's tapered inside to follow the shape of your finger.
They have different sizes, and I found one size that when on my pinky, it fits perfectly down to the bottom of my pinky, but when on my ring finger, it fits perfectly down to my second knuckle, without sliding over it, so I can still flex that finger, and the slide isn't sticking way up above my finger.

I gotta say...these are the best fitting slides I've ever tried out. They're $19 each...but worth it, IMO.

Check 'em out if you are looking for something new to try: Silica Sound

They will let you exchange the slides if you need a different size. I guesstimated two sizes that would be best for my fingers, then after I tried them, I returned one and got the second slide in the same size as the one I was keeping...that way I had a spare.

We have a mellow return policy.

For online orders, if your are unsatisfied with fit of your slide, we will exchange it for a different one free of charge. We ask that you get the slide back to us - this will help us determine where the fit isn't right. Use any shipping method you want. We will ship it back to you via USPS Priority Mail.

If you are unsatisfied with the slide, we ask that you return it to us. We will fully reimburse you, plus up to $5 for the shipping back to us.

In the rare case that your slide has a defect, take a pic or 2 and email them to us with a short description of the problem. If we determine the slide is defective, we will send a replacement free of charge.

And I've played with a BIC lighter once ..... they truly suck. Plastic does not equate to sustain! :D
Yeah dude, I'd never try the lighter thing unless it was a have-to thing, like at a gig where my slide had went missing...:laughings:.

All in all...I lean toward glass, but as long as the fit is right, it doesn't matter so much to me.
Those slides you linked are pretty pricey, but they do look good, especially with the tapered end where it grips your finger, but I'll just stick to the $5 Dunlop I have for now...

I'd been meaning to ask you guys here if any of you used a slide....I like it myself...:).

Some of my slides (there's a bunch more somewhere).slides.jpg

I like the sound of brass/copper (the middle one is from a friends house. He think's the copper is over a hundred years old) but I hate the smell it leaves on my hands. So I usually use chrome plated. Ceramics are OK (for some songs they're almost a requirement) but not my cup of tea. The guys in Little Feat use a Craftsman Spark Plug Socket because "If it ever breaks, they'll replace it". One of the reasons I don't use glass is because I'm afraid I'll drop and break it.

I use a socket from a wrench. Seems to work well and it was free as I merely had to raid my rarely accessed toolbox to find one. :)

Hey tonetards, I'm meeting one of our thread participants today, in person. ShanPeyton. He's in Houston, and I'm gonna give him some southern rape, er, hospitality.

nice ..... Tommy Talton (just google him if you're curious ) is in town Wed. and Sat. and asked about my availability ..... miraculously I am available both nights.

Just sent me a songlist ..... sax with him but bass with Floyd Miles. (another google if you're curious )

It's nice to be remembered as good enough to hire with two days prep and no rehearsal by semi-big name artists.
Got a LOT of work to do 'cause I wants to shine!

Then next week it'll be back to Margaritaville!! :laughings:

That's pretty cool, Lt.! That second one even comes up with a Wikipedia page with picture when you Google it! That's big-time in my eyes.

Hey tonetards, I'm meeting one of our thread participants today, in person. ShanPeyton. He's in Houston, and I'm gonna give him some southern rape, er, hospitality.
Cool guys, like Uncle Bob said, get some pics...and, are you gonna give him the tour of your Marshall museum Greg???

nice ..... Tommy Talton (just google him if you're curious ) is in town Wed. and Sat. and asked about my availability ..... miraculously I am available both nights.

Just sent me a songlist ..... sax with him but bass with Floyd Miles. (another google if you're curious )

It's nice to be remembered as good enough to hire with two days prep and no rehearsal by semi-big name artists.

Very cool Bob!!! I'd never heard of either of those guys, but it's funny that I've been talking about slide guitar, & Tommy Talton plays the fuck outta one...I listened to a song of his on YT, & really liked it man, gonna go check out the Floyd Miles guy too....Very cool man!!!

That's awesome, Steve. I never get business in Florida. I'm going to have to get on our sales guy down there. When I do, I'll be sure to look you up.

You won't regret it.

Well, maybe you will, but only for a few hours, then you'll be back to normal and be glad you did it.
lol ..... yeah, the hangover can be acute! :laughings:

Chili ....... please do ...... I always like meeting up with forum members.

Thanks guys ..... I am looking forward to the gigs .... in Louisiana doing hired-gun work for 'name' artists was a big part of my gigging but here in the wasteland that is Florida music I end up mostly doing solo work.
Although I approach it as a fun way to get 4 hours of practice in a night, it does get wearying playing by yourself.
And then when I do get a gig with a group they often suck ..... so having a couple of gigs with quality players is a treat.

Thanks guys ..... I am looking forward to the gigs .... in Louisiana doing hired-gun work for 'name' artists was a big part of my gigging but here in the wasteland that is Florida music I end up mostly doing solo work.
Although I approach it as a fun way to get 4 hours of practice in a night, it does get wearying playing by yourself.
And then when I do get a gig with a group they often suck ..... so having a couple of gigs with quality players is a treat.
Very cool Bob....Get some pics if you can dude...Very impressive to me for those guys to call you like that man....Very cool to say the least!!!!

Good stuff Lt Boob! That must be pretty cool to have established dudes come seek you out.

Let me tell yall about my rendezvous with ShanPeyton. Well to start it off, we met in a men's room, so I knew we'd be cool right from the start. I walked into the meeting place to pee, and he walked in right behind me, we peed, washed hands, then shook hands. I met his wife too, not in the men's room, and she's a very sweet, friendly young lady with strange meat fetishes. Anyway we ran around Houston a little, hit a few guitar shops, and had some killer pizza and Shiner beers. Today we ran around a bit more, I showed him my room full of loud things, we jammed some Social Distortion, and we had barbecue. Shan and his wife are good people. I really liked hanging out with them. :)

Back