The New Tone Thread

Play, eat and be happy.
Even at my very lowly level of playing prowess I have experienced the draining feeling of playing with those less apt &/or wedded to a style or genre I have little or no interest in.
Naturally I've enjoyed the pleasure of playing with those more able as this is the norm.
Time to get the lips & cheeks sorted for the next one Lt.Bob.

I ended up ( as I feared) playing sax for hours.
Oddly enough, I had zero problems ...... I dunno why.
Practicing I had trouble playing more than 20 minutes before having embouchure issues but last night nada.
I was happy about that since I did end up playing LOTS of sax.
Can't wait 'till Saturday.

and here's the scene:

Attachments

• bankwtommy2.jpg
    bankwtommy2.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 36
Nice pic. Everyone's doing something but the Boob. :D

Maybe it's adrenaline that let you play for hours with no problems? I played last night too after smashing my ring finger in the garage door while loading up my car. It ripped the edge of my fingernail away from the skin. Hurt like a mofo when it happened and I was like "fuck, this is gonna suck for geetar playing". But once we started I didn't even notice. And now today it hurts like a bitch. I can only assume adrenaline made me ignore the pain. Adrenaline and Jaeger. :D

Nice pic. Everyone's doing something but the Boob. :D
:laughings: I may have been looking for my beer!

That sucks about smashing your finger but thank goodness it didn't affect your playing.
I think you're right ..... I even mentioned to wifey it must have been the adrenaline.

I noticed it a few times during the night : "wow .... my lip feels fine" and even focusing on it there was no pain.
I'm sure at some point during your gig you noticed "My finger's not hurting ..... yay!"
Pretty weird since you know it should be hurtin'.

That adrenaline's some good stuff ...... I'd buy a bottle from the local street corner if it were available.

That adrenaline's some good stuff ...... I'd buy a bottle from the local street corner if it were available.

Well you can buy some stuff that's similar, just don't get caught with it. ;)

In other news, I'm pulling the plug on my Jubilee experiment. It's going back to the practice room tonight. I just don't get along with it. It's not terrible, but I'm not getting anything out of it that's better to me than the stuff I already use. I don't even really like it as a different "flavor". Frankly, my other amps destroy it to pieces in all areas of guitar tone. Clean, crunch, high gain, my other amps do it better to me. I just don't get what's so legendary about this amp. Maybe I just don't play in a style that can utilize whatever it has going for it. I didn't post many tones from it because honestly I just didn't get any worth consideration. :wtf:

In better news, I'm gonna go look at a 50w Plexi reissue tonight and the guy only wants 600 for it. Crazy. These amps are $2500 new, around $1100-1200 used, and this cat wants $600. I have to fucking buy it solely on principle alone. I have to. My amp builder bromigo has it and he says it checks out, sounds good, he put some new tubes in it, and it's loud and proud. Gut shot pics look like everything is just as it should be. A few little tolex scuffs that I can tell in pics, but that means nothing to me. So I'm gonna go finger-bang it tonight and if it passes my test it will be mine for 600 bucks! Woohoo! :drunk: :D :drunk: :D

Cool Greg, I'd been wondering if that deal was gonna happen for you or not man....

I had a trade offer a day or so ago, but there's no way I'd do it....A friend of a friend (I actually know both of 'em, just haven't seen either of 'em in years) has an old Laney AOR 50w head he wants to trade for my Chupa & some cash from him...Don't get me wrong, the Laney is a good amp (dunno about this particular one, but the other guitar player in the band I've been messing with has one, & I've played through a few over the years), but I'm just not gonna get rid of my Ceriatone unless it's something crazy that I can't pass up...

Cool Greg, I'd been wondering if that deal was gonna happen for you or not man....

I had a trade offer a day or so ago, but there's no way I'd do it....A friend of a friend (I actually know both of 'em, just haven't seen either of 'em in years) has an old Laney AOR 50w head he wants to trade for my Chupa & some cash from him...Don't get me wrong, the Laney is a good amp (dunno about this particular one, but the other guitar player in the band I've been messing with has one, & I've played through a few over the years), but I'm just not gonna get rid of my Ceriatone unless it's something crazy that I can't pass up...

There's a guy called "Gorty" that doesn't post here anymore and if I remember right he uses those 80s Laney AOR amps. He was a funny dude and he got good tones as far as I can remember. I wouldn't make that trade either though. IMO there might not be a better amp for you than that Chupa. That amp does your style like a mad demon.

There's a guy called "Gorty" that doesn't post here anymore and if I remember right he uses those 80s Laney AOR amps. He was a funny dude and he got good tones as far as I can remember. I wouldn't make that trade either though. IMO there might not be a better amp for you than that Chupa. That amp does your style like a mad demon.
Yeah man, the AOR amps are great, especially for the type of tones I like, but I wouldn't part with my Chupacabra unless it was a crazy deal that I'd come out waaaay ahead on....

I remember back when I was a teenager the same guy who wants to trade now had the same amp (identical model, not the same exact amp btw), & he always had great tones, especially in a band setting...He had a matching Laney 4x12 back then with Celestions, but I don't know what exact speakers, T-75's just guessing, this was about 1987...

I absolutely love my Ceriatone man, I know it's just a modded/hot-rodded clone, but again, I love it man...

Hey, Lt.! I don't know why I've never thought of this before, but when you do a sax, or sax-only gig, do you bring your own sax mic? You're so fussy about tone with guitar, I just wondered if that extended to sax.

Hey, Lt.! I don't know why I've never thought of this before, but when you do a sax, or sax-only gig, do you bring your own sax mic? You're so fussy about tone with guitar, I just wondered if that extended to sax.
I try to use one of my EV mics. But sometimes there's too much going on to have to deal with it.
But I always make sure the soundman sets the EQ like I want it.
My sax is loud and bright so I have them set the EQ like they do a typical voice, and then roll off the highs from that setting by about 9db. And if they don't cut thru, just turn it up .... don't add highs.
Soundguys that have worked with me more than a few times know this without me having to tell them because I'm always very specific and insistent about it.

Bwahahahahaha! Got it!

50w Plexi reissue for 600 fucking bucks! New TAD and EH tubes, no mods, no noises, hisses, or crackles, very clean inside. Sounds great. :thumbs up::thumbs up:

Big and little brothers.

Hahaha!!!!! Fuckin' awesome Greg!!!!! I know it's a re-issue, but any idea what year it was made dude???

Congrats dude!!!!! Of course, we expect some comparison clips in the next few days you know???

Greg, I don't know how to say this, and I know this is the pot calling the kettle black, but...I think you may have a problem.

Go find a meeting of Marshallholics Anonymous.Get help. Now. Run, don't walk.

Hahaha!!!!! Fuckin' awesome Greg!!!!! I know it's a re-issue, but any idea what year it was made dude???

Congrats dude!!!!! Of course, we expect some comparison clips in the next few days you know???
Thanks dude. It's a 2001, the early design with no effects loop. I'll get some clips done pretty soon.

Greg, I don't know how to say this, and I know this is the pot calling the kettle black, but...I think you may have a problem.

Go find a meeting of Marshallholics Anonymous.Get help. Now. Run, don't walk.

Ha, I know, and this newest one is a perfect example of the disease. I wasn't looking for this amp. It wasn't even really on my radar. A friend was trying to sell it for another friend, and I said I'd ask around. When he told me the price I moved on it myself. It was too sweet a deal. I bought it just so no one else would. I was planning on building one of these myself anyway.

Back