The New Tone Thread

Are these Celestion speakers worth a fuck??? Seems like a decent deal on a Peavey cab, but dunno about the speakers in it....From what I can find out, they've got a little more bass than a T-75, with about the same highs/lows....Any experience with these speakers???

https://tricities.craigslist.org/msg/4928097857.html

I believe those are the precursor to the H/K-100s. High wattage, all bass, no mids, spiky highs. Metalhead speakers. Virtually useless IMO. I'd pass, but it's up to you.

Any of this stuff worth checking out or buying?

"-OLP John Petrucci, 6 string guitar - £150
Gigged, modded, repaired EXTENSIVELY. Iron Gear pickups. We made it an absolute beast of a guitar, only priced due to condition and mods. Incl. semi-hardcase.
-Ibanez SR305, 5 string bass guitar - £150
Active EQ needs a once-over, other than that 'sall in full working order and good visible condition. Sparkly flake finish, none of that cheapo gloss black nonsense.
-Rocktron Hush IIBX, 1u expander/gate - £125
Pretty straightforward. 1 unit 19" rack... Does what every expander/gate does.
-Line 6 Relay G30 - £75
This is the cheapest iteration of the best wireless system on the market right now. Does the exact same thing as the G60 and G90. Sorry no picture of the bodypack yet, it's around here somewhere...
-Chapman ML7-T, 7 string guitar - £450
You probably already know the story with these guitars. Plays and feels on par with >£1000 7s, only been out of my bedroom once to a studio. Never gigged, well taken care of. Incl. Chapman gigbag
-*NOT PRESTIGE* Ibanez RG7321 modded, 7 string guitar - £250
Top and front face of headstock stripped, burnt, refinished. Really nice 3D texture. DiMarzio D-Sonic and Blaze pickups
-Novation ZeRO SL MkII, control surface - £125
Touch-sensitive encoders, pots, and faders. Drum pads, buttons for days, comes with automap for instant setup with pretty much any DAW and plugins. Basically untouched out of the box."

A guy is selling.

Modded guitars, half-working active bass, rack gear....Sounds like a bunch of metal shred project garbage to me, but I'm the wrong guy to ask about that. Lol @ 7-string guitars. Nothing good comes from a 7-string guitar. :laughings:

Just got home with new hard drives. Here is hoping i don't blow Northern Alberta off the face of the earth. First time installing hardware and an operating system in one sitting. Please pray to Johnny R. or Joey R that i don't die doing this.

Before i left this morning i played with the amp some more. I got it up to about the four marker before my dog let me know it wasn't cool haha. But god dam. That Husker Du riff from 'In a free land' never sounded so freakin pleasing to my ears and inner core. Perhaps in keeping with all the gun talk in the tone thread that might be the song i cover to test muck with this rig.

But first, the computer. baby steps. I swear i have ADHD.

Thanks guys, I did find a few reviews/articles about these speakers finally, seems they are even more bass heavy than the T-75's I already have, one review said "smoother highs", but that was also a metalhead guitarist (like the Gerg mentioned), so I really dunno about the speakers...

I'll probably just pass on it, I'd thought about getting that cab, & sticking my T-75's in there, but again, I'll most likely pass....I figure I could get that cab for $150 cash, but not sure....

I've been around those cabs before (the last band I was in, the other guitar player had one, but not sure what speakers he had in it), but that was long before I gave a fuck about tones, I was more plug-n-play back then...

I have no idea about any of that gear Schwarz, I know who Peter-rucci is, & I think he's an awesome player, but his music just doesn't do anything for me...

wow .... kinda in shock a tiny bit. The dead woman was a singer in the very first band I played in when I moved to Florida. She was a passable singer, no better than that ....... but she was a sweetheart of a person.

Man ...... just goes to show you never know when it's coming for ya' ....... also don't fly in helicopters! RIP Marsha ..... hope it's a very long time before I see ya' again.

Federal officials head to College Park to investigate fatal helicopter crash - Orlando Sentinel

I believe those are the precursor to the H/K-100s. High wattage, all bass, no mids, spiky highs. Metalhead speakers. Virtually useless IMO. I'd pass, but it's up to you.

Spot on about the K-100 lineage Greg! This is what my man in Scotland tells me..".As far as I know it's an older version of the G12K-100 - they just upped the power rating!

Earlier versions of it have a vented magnet too, like a lot of the 80s Celestions - including the G12T-75 and V30 - which have all been changed to plain magnets now. It's big, even and clear-sounding, and sounds a bit 'chunkier' than the K100 - at least the vented version does.

It was originally used in some Sessionettes and Rivera amps I think."

Dave.

Modded guitars, half-working active bass, rack gear....Sounds like a bunch of metal shred project garbage to me, but I'm the wrong guy to ask about that. Lol @ 7-string guitars. Nothing good comes from a 7-string guitar. :laughings:

I guess that that's a pretty accurate description of the seller. He loves his prog metal.

I feel like if you're going to go 7 string, you might as well go 8 string, which is what he did.

Just got home with new hard drives. Here is hoping i don't blow Northern Alberta off the face of the earth. First time installing hardware and an operating system in one sitting. Please pray to Johnny R. or Joey R that i don't die doing this.

Before i left this morning i played with the amp some more. I got it up to about the four marker before my dog let me know it wasn't cool haha. But god dam. That Husker Du riff from 'In a free land' never sounded so freakin pleasing to my ears and inner core. Perhaps in keeping with all the gun talk in the tone thread that might be the song i cover to test muck with this rig.

But first, the computer. baby steps. I swear i have ADHD.
Good luck, prayers sent to the Ramones. :D

wow .... kinda in shock a tiny bit. The dead woman was a singer in the very first band I played in when I moved to Florida. She was a passable singer, no better than that ....... but she was a sweetheart of a person.

Man ...... just goes to show you never know when it's coming for ya' ....... also don't fly in helicopters! RIP Marsha ..... hope it's a very long time before I see ya' again.

Federal officials head to College Park to investigate fatal helicopter crash - Orlando Sentinel

Damn, I honestly don't know why anyone goes up in a helicopter. At least planes have wings and can glide. Choppers just plummet. Like hot air balloons. WTF? No way, not me. Anyway, RIP Boob's ex-singer.

---------- Update ----------

The Chapman guitars are the ones made by the fella from all the Andertons videos, like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTb-vKz1fkE

I like their videos, but goddamn he is a massive tool.

Damn, I honestly don't know why anyone goes up in a helicopter. At least planes have wings and can glide. Choppers just plummet. Like hot air balloons. WTF? No way, not me.
I'm with ya' man ...... no ways the boob is getting into one of them there flying whatchamacallits!

Sorry to hear about your friend Bob....Hang in there man, it's always tough, so again, hang in there....

I've been in a helicopter a couple of times, one of those paid ride things, about 10-12 years ago, only reason I did it is because my step-son wanted to, he was about 10 years old...

I'm gonna pass on the cab, I thought it might be a good beater cab, & I could stick my T-75's in it, but that'd probably be about the same as the speakers that are already in there...

Might have a gig or two lined up next month, not sure, a couple of old band buddies have contacted me, & I'm up for it, just don't know exactly when/where, we're gonna start practicing tomorrow night....4 piece band, 2 guitars (other guitar player is the singer), bass & drums...Should find out exactly what my gear will do, even with the mixed bag of speakers in the 4x12.....

And here's a clip I made today messing with the DSL & Bogner pedal...Nothing special, just messing with the pedal trying to figure out if I'm gonna use it in the band situation, the boost function might be good, dunno, it seems to add a little gain too, which might be good too, I'll just have to wait & see with the band setting tomorrow evening...

Anyway, here's the clip:

LP > Bogner Red > DSL > G12H > e609

DSL:
100w mode
Green clean channel
Resonance: 0
Presence: 4
Bass: 4
Mid: 7
Treble: 5
Volume: 4-5
Gain: 5

Bogner:
Volume: 6-7
Treble: 5-6
Mid: 6-7
Bass: 5-6
Gain: 1-2
Variac: Off
Mode: Full
Pre-Eq: b1
Structure: 20th

Bogner Red>DSL

I didn't mess with the boost function on this clip, really, it's pointless, but it does boost the volume quite a bit when engaged, so again, it might work out pretty good for a little volume boost using dirty sounds...

Sorry to hear about your friend Bob....Hang in there man, it's always tough, so again, hang in there....

thanks for the kind thoughts but I'm fine ..... for whatever reason, I'm just not the sentimental type.
To be honest it wouldn't occur to me to be very upset about something like this ....... if my wife dies I'll be a mess but otherwise it never bothers me much ...... my turn's coming.

It's just that it's shocking when you hear a news story about a copter crash and then find out you knew one of them.
She was maybe late 40's to early 50's and just like that *poof!* she's no more.
I have to think that in the mining biz there's been guys that you knew and suddenly *poof!*.

Life is strange and short ..... a BIG reason why I need to start writing and recording sooner rather than later

thanks for the kind thoughts but I'm fine ..... for whatever reason, I'm just not the sentimental type.
To be honest it wouldn't occur to me to be very upset about something like this ....... if my wife dies I'll be a mess but otherwise it never bothers me much ...... my turn's coming.
It's cool man, I know a lot of people deal with death in different ways....And yeah dude, everybody's turn is coming....

It's just that it's shocking when you hear a news story about a copter crash and then find out you knew one of them.
She was maybe late 40's to early 50's and just like that *poof!* she's no more.
I have to think that in the mining biz there's been guys that you knew and suddenly *poof!*.
Yep, been lots of 'em over the years Bob, some of 'em really shocked me, & some of 'em didn't...The last friend that was killed in the car accident a few weeks ago did take me by surprise...I dunno if it was where he was so young, or what, but it caught me totally off guard when I heard about it...

Thanks for the comment on the pedal dude, that's one pedal I do like quite a bit...

I've been in a helicopter a couple of times, one of those paid ride things, about 10-12 years ago, only reason I did it is because my step-son wanted to, he was about 10 years old...

I'm gonna pass on the cab, I thought it might be a good beater cab, & I could stick my T-75's in it, but that'd probably be about the same as the speakers that are already in there...

Might have a gig or two lined up next month, not sure, a couple of old band buddies have contacted me, & I'm up for it, just don't know exactly when/where, we're gonna start practicing tomorrow night....4 piece band, 2 guitars (other guitar player is the singer), bass & drums...Should find out exactly what my gear will do, even with the mixed bag of speakers in the 4x12.....

That cab might be worth it just to flip the speakers. Some metal doofus will probably give his mullet to get some original K-85s. Check ebay to see what just those speakers are asking and going for, and then offer the cab dude like a hundred or something.

Thanks for the comment on the pedal dude, that's one pedal I do like quite a bit...
Yeah ..... it seems like it's pretty transparent ...... I've heard you use it in very different type tones and it doesn't just impose its' own tone over the amp.
Like this clip ..... it was pretty bright and the Bogner let that come right thru.
I think I'd want the blue one but I dunno ..... my subconscious is working out my next pedalboard even as we speak.
I'll let you know as soon as I do. :D

I think I'm gonna go all micro-pedals but, as I said, the designing is going on behind the scenes ...... so I don't really know which way the committee is leaning! :)

Back