The New Tone Thread

Anyone here know of a good Dallas Rangemaster Treble Booster clone and a Klon Centaur clone at a reasonable price that sounds like the originals? Thanks!

Greg: I'd thought about doing that man, but I might have a hard time getting rid of the speakers around here, I literally live in the worst place in the world man....As much as it's home, I hate it here at times just because of this shit...Gonna think on it for a day or so...

Bob: Like I said dude, I really like the Bogner Red, it's a good pedal....To me, it's really amp-like for an od pedal, of course it's got tons of gain, but it can go to a light crunch with it's gain knob, & cleans up pretty good with the guitar's volume...From what I've read, the Bogner Blue is a little lower gained, & that's why I picked the red one, I usually use more gain than less...Out of the 3 pedals (Red, Blue & Uberschall/black), I've read/heard the blue & red are good, but the black/Uberschall sucks...

What kind of mini-pedals are you gonna use dude???

I dunno ...... like I said, my subconscious is doing the deciding ..... plus there's a couple of slightly larger pedals I have to use like the Catlinbread RAH.
There's a Hotone that I think I'll use and one of the Mooer's gets rave reviews as a Dumble clone ..... we'll see. I literally don't know ..... I'll wake up one morning and it will all come to me. I'm gonna use a VooDoo lab power supply and I know how I'm gonna build the physical part of it ..... that and the RAH is all I know right now.

Cool Bob.....I'm actually kinda excited about playing in a band in a way, & kinda nervous in a way too....It's been a long, long time since I've did that....I know the guys I'll be playing with pretty good, but again, it's been about 15 years....This is one reason I've been asking so much about multi-fx pedals, I wasn't sure (and I'm still not 100%) the gig thing would be happening, but I've did plenty of gigs with a totally dry sound (other than some dirt/od)...

I do know I'm gonna go jam with 'em tomorrow evening, but don't know if it'll go any further than that, depends on a few things....I have no problem with the guys having a couple beers/shots/tokes, but, I don't wanna get involved in a wild-ass, party thing either, & I've told 'em this upfront, so we'll see...

The thing I'm really excited about is finally getting to play with other people (again, it's been 15 years), & really would like to see/hear what my new gear will do in a band situation...The last gig I played, I used a Fender Tele Plus II, Kramer Knightswan, Marshall Valvestate 100w head & 4x12 (with cheap ass Celestions)...

On the fx thing, I don't really need much, probably just use a little chorus on my clean stuff, & maybe a little delay/verb/both on my leads sometimes...

that's way cool man! I must have missed where you mentioned it but that's great news.

Look .... it'll make you better no matter what their skill level is.
Also .... try and have fun and not be all judgmental about it. All that really matters is if you have fun and it sounds decent ..... try and stick to that for a bit before getting too far into what you'd like the band to be.
All it is is a jam right now and you should have a good time I imagine.

What amp ya' gonna take?

On the pedal thing ...... for a MultiFX I use mine differently than you will.
I use them as a modeler going direct into the PA.
When I use my amps I use actual discrete pedals.
But when I use a multifx it's primarily for the amp-sim.

Since one of the reasons for using them is either to make the load-in small or to take up minimum space I'm kinda into small basic multifx so I've been using a Vox Stomplab.
But I'm bored with it and it's a little fizzier than I like so I'm close to grabbing a Digitech RP360 ...... only 150 bucks and I like the way they sound in the demos I've heard. Yeah, I know they're demos but I can kinda hear into them anyway, especially when you compare them to other demos .... and the RP360 has a nice detailed sound to it.
Only got two footswitches though .......
But again, I use them more for the amp sims than the FX's.

But I don't seem to approach this the way ya'll do ....... ya'll usually seem to have a specific sound you're going after while I kinda go with whatever I have and see where that takes me.

As far as recommendations, Maybe the Digitech stuff ...... they've always been pretty good value ..... For stompboxes I can recommend the TC Electronic stuff ..... I also like everything I've heard from Catlinbread ...... if you ever need a comp THE one to get is the Xotix Effects SP compressor ...... you just end up leaving it on all the time .... ummmmm .... gotta have a tuner ..... believe it or not, one of my very best choruses is a $29.95 Danelectro that I got for 10 bucks in a stupid deal of the day. It's freakin' awesome in my Mark V's fx loop ....... (yeah, I know I said I don't use the loop ......... get over it ) ..... umm ..... there's SO much great stuff out there

This is the first I've mentioned about it here Bob, been debating about it honestly ....Just so you know, I'm a recovering opiate addict dude... that's a big thing for me, I can't & won't jeopardize my sobriety no matter what...I know I can say "no" because I've done it for over 8 years now (Feb 7 made 8 years clean :)), but I just don't wanna be around any of that shit (the pills/coke/hard drugs...like I mentioned beer & weed are nothing)....Yeah, I know people are gonna drink, maybe smoke a little weed, whatever, & I'm good with that, I just don't wanna be around it at all...I know all these guys have been down the same road I have, I just hope they've came to their senses about it all...We'll see I suppose, but first sign of that shit I see, I'm packing up & leaving, already told 'em several times...Enough of that, I know I can handle it, been doing it for years now...

I dunno dude, I talked to the singer/guitar player tonight, & he's using a JVM205 head & 4x12, so they still practice as loud as they did back in the day apparently, so I'll probably take the DSL100, 4x12, & my Lester...:D.

And yeah dude, I'm just doing this for fun, to have something to do...We'll be playing the usual stuff I'm assuming since they're "breaking" me in again, Skynyrd, ZZ Top, shit like that...We will have to play about 1/2 country-ish stuff, but that's not a problem for me either...

I'm actually pretty excited, fuck man, it's been 15 years since I've really played any music with anyone...

On the fx thing, I can get by with what I have, but it'd be nice to have a little chorus on my clean sounds to keep it from being so dry all the time...IF I did get another multi-fx, I'd only use it for the fx, I'd use my amp's od sounds (with the Bogner pedal...man, I really like how that thing sounds), so I'd most likely use it in the loop...

I do have a tuner, but it's a little Snark clip-on thing, seems to be pretty accurate though, but it's also very fragile, might be a problem, I dunno...I do take care of my gear to a point, but as you know when you play music, shit happens...:laughings:.

believe it or not, one of my very best choruses is a $29.95 Danelectro
I've got a Danelectro vibe (Cool Cat Vibe) that sounds pretty damn good (to me anyway) for a $40 pedal....no idea how it compares to a good vibe, & probably never will either...but for what it is, it's pretty decent...

After I see how tomorrow evening goes, I may hit the pawn shops here in town. There's 2 (yep, 2...lol), & don't usually have anything worth a shit, but it might be worth stopping to see, you never know, might have something I could use....

My most favorite ever Distortion pedal i still have to this very day is a Danelectro T-Bone. This thing has been with me through a lot of good and bad times. Many punk rock gigs. Soaked in every kind of alcohol imaginable, lots of spit and probably a bit of barf. AND IT IS STILL TICKIN. It even has some bad ass cigarette burns for punk rock points. I used to get some delicious, beautifully controlled feedback out of this thing. Not sure what mysitcal wizardy caused that but I hope i can use it on the orange with out compromising any tone.

Sorry about the crotch shot guys. My bad.

Harddrive install went eeerily easy. Too Easy. Windows 7 is updating now and i'll start installing all my software tonight, maybe tomorrow? But pretty excited.

I've got a danelectro fab flange. It's pretty solid and alright but nowhere near as good as the 4 knob aria I used to have. It just has depth and rate. The aria has feedback and I think it was mix too.

If anyone wants to swap me an aria flanger for a pint or a few quid give me a shout.

That's cool minerman. Go jam with that band. It's obvious that you're excited about it, and if they're halfway competent and don't jeopardize your sobriety, you're gonna keep doing it. Get ready, you're about to become a band guy again. You'll be glad you just bought all this gear. :D

That Wah vid is from a store in Melbourne, Victoria Australia.

I still prefer the Cry though mine is an late 80's Jimi Hendrix Dunlop CryBaby Wha that needs the pot cleaned.
In about 2003 we were broken into whilst at work. My fav guitar stolen, door busted in, heaps of jewelry & stuff taken. The police arrived NEXT day and drove from 30 miles away because the locals were too busy!
Of the $10k or so of stolen stuff we had returned about$50 worth BUT were lucky because the mob who did it were quite happy to break in while folk were home and bash people unconscious.
Man, the paper work for insurance was evil particularly for my leather bike jacket.

I managed to get guns out of my system as an early teen - after the usual air rifle thing I had the chance to fire Lee Enfield 303s bren gun.jpg303.jpg , Brenn Guns (303 field machine gun), M16 variants etc when I was a Sgt in the Army Cadets. Until then I'd loved 'em. Once I'd used them & had seen what they could do I was quite sated. Haven't wanted to go near them since - I also rid myself of the play soldier thing too when I discovered they were quite keen to enlist me & my ilk, (NCOs and above in cadets), for officer training in the end game of Vietnam.

Minerman, playing WITH people is eitehr the best or the worst. You won't know until you try it again. Go for it & take plenty of Mountain Dew.

Last edited:
Anyone here know of a good Dallas Rangemaster Treble Booster clone and a Klon Centaur clone at a reasonable price that sounds like the originals? Thanks!:)

That's cool minerman. Go jam with that band. It's obvious that you're excited about it, and if they're halfway competent and don't jeopardize your sobriety, you're gonna keep doing it. Get ready, you're about to become a band guy again. You'll be glad you just bought all this gear. :D
These guys contacted me a few weeks ago, & I'd been debating about it, but fuck it....I'm not doing anything else anyway, so why not go make some noise....On the sobriety thing, they're not gonna jeopardize that, I won't let that happen, I just hope they've grown up enough & have enough respect (if they still do that shit...we all used to be quite the wild ass boys...:)) to keep themselves under control....

We'll see this evening...

These guys contacted me a few weeks ago, & I'd been debating about it, but fuck it....I'm not doing anything else anyway, so why not go make some noise....On the sobriety thing, they're not gonna jeopardize that, I won't let that happen, I just hope they've grown up enough & have enough respect (if they still do that shit...we all used to be quite the wild ass boys...:)) to keep themselves under control....

We'll see this evening...

Congrats man! I'd love to be a bad guy again! Soak it up
!

Ok guys, loading the gear up....4x12...check....DSL100....check....cable/pedal bag....check...Lester...check...12-pack of diet dew in a little cooler on ice...check...3 packs of smokes...check...

Heading that way in about 20-30 mins, dunno what time I'll be back, but I do know we'll have to shut down about 9, or we'll get the cops called on us...Seems weird, I've jammed/played music at that place countless times, but it's been years....Fuck, it's been 15 years since I actually did a gig...

Wish me luck, I know I'll be rusty as fuck playing-wise, but the main thing tonight is just to get out of the house & have a little fun....

Back