The New Tone Thread

Do Park still make cheap amps? They were alright sounding 10w beginner amps.

Park were Marshall's Epiphone/Squier, weren't they? When I was young, my little Marshall was way better than the Park equivalents some other kids had and not much difference in price, IIRC.

If you lived anywhere near me, Greg, I'd give you my VS15R - it's not a bad little beginner amp at all and still going strong 20+ years since I got it.

Hey minerdude, I got two gigs coming up where I'll be opening for.....wait for it.....Bang Tango and Faster Pussycat. :laughings: :laughings:

I can't wait to see the crowd at these shows. It's gonna be fat balding middle aged rocker dudes that still wear spandex pants and drooping leathery ex-Kelly Bundys that were hot 30 years ago. Awesome!

Hey minerdude, I got two gigs coming up where I'll be opening for.....wait for it.....Bang Tango and Faster Pussycat. :laughings: :laughings:

I can't wait to see the crowd at these shows. It's gonna be fat balding middle aged rocker dudes that still wear spandex pants and drooping leathery ex-Kelly Bundys that were hot 30 years ago. Awesome!
My people!!! :D

Greg, I got a Spider III 15W as my first amp many years ago. It had a bunch of fun effects that will keep a beginner fascinated for a long time. It has blinking lights too? lol but really it sounded like bees.

My friends all got the cheap Vox modeling amps, which were a better alternative in total.

Awesome man!!!!! I barely even remember Bango Tango so much so that I had to do a search for 'em....still don't really remember 'em, although the first song that came up I kinda remember it...meh...

Faster Pussycat on the other hand, I've saw live like 3-4 times & I actually like a few of their songs....Of course their hit "House of Pain" everybody (like me anyway) remembers, & it's ok I suppose, but some of their other stuff I like a lot better....

Lol...why do you think I grow my hair long dude??? So when I do go bald, I can just flip the back over the top/front....I don't think I'm gonna go bald like my brother did though (thank goodness....lol), he's been pretty much bald since about age 17 or so....While my hairline is receding, it's mostly still there...:thumbs up:.

And, I do have a belly/gut, but nothing like a lot of people my age that I grew up with...:D.

Give 'em hell dude!!!!! Oh yeah, you need to wear your spandex pants that night, the ones you posted a pic of here awhile back....:laughings:.

Greg, I got a Spider III 15W as my first amp many years ago. It had a bunch of fun effects that will keep a beginner fascinated for a long time. It has blinking lights too? lol but really it sounded like bees.

My friends all got the cheap Vox modeling amps, which were a better alternative in total.

My first amp was a Fender Bronco, I don't even remember how many watts it was, my parents bought that amp, & a Gibson SG junior (with a single-soapbar p'up) when I was about 13...that was my first electric rig....

About '87 they bought me a B.C. Rich Warlock, & a Marshall micro-stack, both brand new....I actually used the little Marshall to gig with for a year or so, mic'ing the top cab (and I didn't know a damn thing about mic'ing anything, just threw it up there where sound would come out of the pa...:D)....I ended up getting rid of the B.C. Rich for a cheap Ibanez so I wouldn't look so out of place in these local redneck hillbilly bars, then ended up getting an Ibanez Sabre 540, which was one of the best guitars I've ever played...I'd love to have one back, as I sold it around '94 or so...

I actually stopped playing guitar twice, once from about '93-'96 then from about 2001-2008, but picked it back up again when I bought the MIM strat I have now, & a Line 6 Spider Valve combo...Kinda wish I'd kept the amp, but traded it off for the POD X3Live & a bunch of cash/boot...

Over the years, I've had some pretty nice gear, but I'd always ended up trading or selling it off....This time around is different though, the gear I have now is here to stay, unless someone offers me a deal I can't refuse & I'd make a pretty good profit, but that's not likely gonna happen...

Awesome man!!!!! I barely even remember Bango Tango

I have no idea who they are. I'm only told that they were late hair-metal and that it's a "good gig" and the rest of the band is excited. I really couldn't care less. I haven't even youtubed them to know who or what they are. The show is sold out already though, so apparently people wanna see them?

I do know who Faster Pussycat is, although I don't know which version of the band we're opening for. There's like the singer's version that went all industrial-rock, and the original member's version. Two different Faster Pussycats. I'm happy for these gigs though because they will at least be for a large captive audience. Lately I'm having more fun with the guitar gig than the drumming gig.

Cool Greg,
I had no idea about the 2 different versions of Faster Pussycat, see, you keep up with these bands more than I do....:D.

I looked up Bango Tango on youtube & made it through about half a song, then turned it off....again, meh......There were a lot of those bands I didn't like, a lot I've still never even heard of, but there are a lot of 'em I still like & listen to now...

Really cool about the gigs being sold out man, should be a pretty good crowd, that should get you guys fired up....I always hated it when the crowd wasn't into what my band was doing, then on the other side, there's nothing like being fired up, with the crowd in the same zone...."

Is this the band you're playing with that you use the 8x10 backline cabs??? Or is this the drumming gig with Crank Case???

I'm actually looking for a multi-fx pedal that has chorus, flange, delay, wah, & possibly some 'verb, with some different sounds/models of each fx mentioned all in one unit....I know I just got rid of the POD X3Live, but for me, it was just un-usable because of the tone suck it had....My amps sound great (IMO), so I don't wanna mess with the core/base tone I have, I just want the fx to compliment it....any ideas???? Or do you think I'd be better off getting a handful of individual pedals & making a small pedalboard???

Ok, here's a couple toans from me fucking around just a few minutes ago...Had both the big amps fired up today...Recorded a di along with the DSL track, & just re-amped it through the Chupa with the same mic, mic position & speaker....

LP > DSL > Greenback > '57

DSL: 100w mode, OD1
Resonance: 0
Presence: 8
Bass: 8
Mid: 3
Treble: 3
Volume: 3
Gain: 2-3

Sin Shitty DSL

LP > CHUPA > Greenback > '57

Presence: 3
Bass: 3
Treble: 7
Volume: 7
Gain 2: 3
Gain 1: 5
Era: 80's
Bright 2: C
Bright 1: R
Focus: Off

Sin Shitty Chupa

allow me to be the first to say that the bridge p'up mounting in a tele is stupid.
Yeah .... it's nice there's no screws in the pickguard but you can't tell where it goes exactly without the pickguard mounted and when the pickguard is on you can't get to the screws to fasten it to the body. :mad:

Almost got the git finished though ..... new neck is fine.

Line 6 Spider amps... I remember the first time I saw one of these. It must have been in about 2002. There were loads of them in the shop and they were selling! I had a go and couldn't believe how bad they were. I remember thinking "oh shit, is this the future of guitar amps?"

Is this the band you're playing with that you use the 8x10 backline cabs??? Or is this the drumming gig with Crank Case???
This is my guitar band where I use the 8x10 cabs. Crank Case is in writing/recording mode and on a live hiatus until we find another bass player.

I'm actually looking for a multi-fx pedal that has chorus, flange, delay, wah, & possibly some 'verb, with some different sounds/models of each fx mentioned all in one unit....I know I just got rid of the POD X3Live, but for me, it was just un-usable because of the tone suck it had....My amps sound great (IMO), so I don't wanna mess with the core/base tone I have, I just want the fx to compliment it....any ideas???? Or do you think I'd be better off getting a handful of individual pedals & making a small pedalboard???
I'm the wrong guy to ask about that. I will always prefer simple analog pedals over digital rack or floor effects units. Mainly because, say your flanger pedal breaks. Okay that sucks, but it doesn't mean you lose everything else. If your Digitech Zoom POD takes a shit you lose everything. And real pro quality digital effects units can be great, but they're expensive. Send Bubba Po a PM. To my surprise I just found out he's been using a TC Elec Nova or some shit like that and he says it's very good. But if this is just for recording I think you would do best just using plug-ins. It's a lot easier to just drop a flanger plug on a track than it is to set up stereo amps just for a true flanger effect.

Ok, here's a couple toans from me fucking around just a few minutes ago...Had both the big amps fired up today...Recorded a di along with the DSL track, & just re-amped it through the Chupa with the same mic, mic position & speaker....

Sin Shitty DSL

Sin Shitty Chupa

Those both sound pretty dang good to me. I prefer the better mids in the DSL clip.

allow me to be the first to say that the bridge p'up mounting in a tele is stupid.
Yeah .... it's nice there's no screws in the pickguard but you can't tell where it goes exactly without the pickguard mounted and when the pickguard is on you can't get to the screws to fasten it to the body. :mad:

Almost got the git finished though ..... new neck is fine.

???

It should just be a matter of installing the pickguard where it needs to go and installing the bridge where it needs to go? Do you mean the neck pickup?

Sin Shitty DSL

Sin Shitty Chupa

I like the DSL better. Sounded a little bigger and fuller to me. And I like the way the midrange sounds better.

I tell ya tho, I liked the tone you had a few pages back (499/500) better. Greg described them as boomy or woofy. Personal preference thing, and they all sound nice, but I like a little more boom and woof I guess.

Ah right neck pickup it is in then. I was a bit confuse cos you said bridge pickup and wasn't exactly sure what you are putting together...

Try this, make a card or ply template of the body rout for the pickup. Fill the body cavity with foam cut roughly to shape and place the pickguard in place with the template on the foam under the pickguard. You can then mark where the pickup opening is on the template. From that you can mark the position of the screws on the template and transfer them to the bottom of the cavity route....

Make sense..?

Ah right neck pickup it is in then. I was a bit confused cos you said bridge pickup and wasn't exactly sure what you are putting together...
yeppers ..... I don't know why I called it a bridge p'up since it's the neck p'up other than I'm getting stupid ....... anyways ..... it's a dumb design even though it is pretty with no screws in that guard..

Try this, make a card or ply template of the body rout for the pickup. Fill the body cavity with foam cut roughly to shape and place the pickguard in place with the template on the foam under the pickguard. You can then mark where the pickup opening is on the template. From that you can mark the position of the screws on the template and transfer them to the bottom of the cavity route....

Make sense..?
yessir ..... however ..... I'm long since finished so next time I'll know.

Also ...... I didn't find that clip/jack cup difficult at all ...... once the hole was right for the cup ...... I found getting the clip in place pretty easy.
Dunno why people buy a special tool for that unless they do a lot of them.

Gotta go tune a piano ..... or maybe a fish but I'm getting paid to tune something.
Later

went back and looked ..... don't know why I called it a bridge p'up since it's the neck p'up ....... anyways ..... it's a stupid design.

I actually like it because it anchors the pickup to the body. Also means I can lift the pickguard and get to see everything without having a bunch of stuff still connected to it..Makes setups easier for sure.

Line 6 Spider amps... I remember the first time I saw one of these. It must have been in about 2002. There were loads of them in the shop and they were selling! I had a go and couldn't believe how bad they were. I remember thinking "oh shit, is this the future of guitar amps?"

The Spiders were always meant to be amps for people buying their first guitars. I don't think that anybody honestly thought that they were the future of anything. Hell, you could buy a whole Spider III fullstack for like 700$ I think. That already says it all.

Back