The New Tone Thread

Ok, just to keep our thread alive, here's a shitty clip I made, not gonna say anything about any settings or anything, other than it's my Lester through my Chupacabra....

Douche

Lemme know what you guys think of this tone....not going for anything in particular, just making some fuckin' noise, & hoping the roof here doesn't collapse...

Been a lot of that shit around here today, the elementary school's roof I went to collapsed today, a church right down the road from there, a couple businesses had the same to happen...This snow is really heavy, & there's a lot of it, I just hope some of this shit melts off before the next round hits, & then it all freezes up solid.....

I like the base tone of that, but I think it's really boomy and woofy in the lows. Did you do something different? Sounds like a room mic blended in or something.

I think your LP is cool. It's not lowly at all. I don't get the "shaming" that Studio players have to endure, or even put on themselves. It's a Les Paul Studio. They're nice guitars.

I've been spoiled by neck binding though. It just feels so nice. I don't even want to go back.

I like the base tone of that, but I think it's really boomy and woofy in the lows. Did you do something different? Sounds like a room mic blended in or something.

Before I tell you what I did, I know I should get it right at the source, but, do you think I might be able to eq some of the "woof" out of it to make it a mix-usable track???

I will say I had the bass up pretty high on the amp, & the highs were dialed way back from what I usually set 'em at...I've been playing around with the tone knob on my guitar the last couple days too, & it's got a pretty big impact on the tones, a lot more than I thought it'd have...

Lemme know if you think this particular tone could have a little eq put on it & used in a mix or not....

I think your LP is cool. It's not lowly at all. I don't get the "shaming" that Studio players have to endure, or even put on themselves. It's a Les Paul Studio. They're nice guitars.
Yeah man, I don't get it either, I mean, I didn't drop $3-4,000 on my guitar, but it still plays & sounds great...Mine was $1,000 dude....And really, if folks don't like my guitar, then fuck 'em......:laughings:.

Before I tell you what I did, I know I should get it right at the source, but, do you think I might be able to eq some of the "woof" out of it to make it a mix-usable track???

I will say I had the bass up pretty high on the amp, & the highs were dialed way back from what I usually set 'em at...I've been playing around with the tone knob on my guitar the last couple days too, & it's got a pretty big impact on the tones, a lot more than I thought it'd have...

Lemme know if you think this particular tone could have a little eq put on it & used in a mix or not....
I can't really say because I'd have to hear it try to work in a mix. I suspect that that if you EQ the woof out of it it could work, but it might still have darkness to it. Nothing good comes from fiddling with the tone knob! :D

Yeah man, I don't get it either, I mean, I didn't drop $3-4,000 on my guitar, but it still plays & sounds great...Mine was $1,000 dude....And really, if folks don't like my guitar, then fuck 'em......:laughings:.

A Studio is mostly the same as the higher end LPs just without the bling and fancy finishes. I don't see why they have a bad stigma. It's snobbery. My only problem with them is the "unfinished" neck. And that's not a real problem, it's just my problem. My 70s Tribute SG has an "unfinished" neck. No binding, slightly looser grain on the fretboard, and the back of the neck feels like it's been spray painted. Lol. But after 3 minutes or so I'm used to it and don't even notice until I grab one of my other guitars again. The coarse paint on the neck has been sort of smoothed down by now by my super badass power chord ripping. :D

I can't really say because I'd have to hear it try to work in a mix. I suspect that that if you EQ the woof out of it it could work, but it might still have darkness to it. Nothing good comes from fiddling with the tone knob! :D
Ok dude...lol...I know I need to get it right at the source, I was just fucking around as usual to see if a track like that could be used in a mix...I personally don't think it sounds terrible, just not as good as some of my other clips...so...here it is:

That was the shitty ISO cab dude...:laughings:. Signal chain was: LP > Chupa > T-75/ISO Cab > Samson C01 condenser mic

I did add a little room reverb, like always when I used my ISO cabs before, because it's totally dry...But other than the reverb, that was the raw track...

Chupa settings:

Resonance: 2-3
Presence: 2
Bass: 9
Mid: 3
Treble: 6
Master: 1
Era: 80's
Gain 2: 2
Gain 1: 5
Bright 2: L
Bright 1: C

While it's not terrible, like always, the low/low-mids are "woofy" sounding....maybe because I had the resonance on (I usually don't even have it on at all), & the bass was almost dimed...

I'm gonna re-amp that di with lower bass settings & see what it sounds like, I'll post it up in a few minutes...

A Studio is mostly the same as the higher end LPs just without the bling and fancy finishes. I don't see why they have a bad stigma. It's snobbery. My only problem with them is the "unfinished" neck. And that's not a real problem, it's just my problem. My 70s Tribute SG has an "unfinished" neck. No binding, slightly looser grain on the fretboard, and the back of the neck feels like it's been spray painted. Lol. But after 3 minutes or so I'm used to it and don't even notice until I grab one of my other guitars again. The coarse paint on the neck has been sort of smoothed down by now by my super badass power chord ripping. :D

Yeah, I know my Lester ain't got the bells/whistles the higher-end LP's do, but to me, it plays & sounds great....I just can't see dropping $4,000 on a guitar, but that's me...I know a lot of people do, but me, I can't afford that shit...

I would like to try a higher-end LP out, side-by-side against mine for a few days, just to see the difference though...

Unless the guitar made me sound & play like one of the big name rock stars, I just can't see dropping that kind of $$$ on one....If I was rich, it'd be different though....:)

...I just can't see dropping $4,000 on a guitar, but that's me...I know a lot of people do, but me, I can't afford that shit...
I have three Lesters. Most I paid was $2300 for a goldtop reissue 54. I have about $2500 in my Custom but I had a lot of work done to it. I paid $1000 for my 1972/3 Deluxe.

Never buy a Les Paul new.

Actually recorded something through my amp and mic today and it sounded awful. Good in the room but shit recorded. Crap mic though. Will do some more experiments next weekend then post them up for tonal surgery.

Quick question, I turned the vol up on amp, sounded fine, then notched it back a bit and turned the vol up on the pedal. Also sounded cool, but different. Any idea what the physics is behind this?

I think Les Pauls look better without the pick guard and no pickup covers either. As basic as possible. I don't tend to like any sort of embellishment though. Probably why I like teles.

Nice Lesters Lou....Love the Ronson tribute man...cool sign too...lol

JDOD: What amp/pedal are you using man??? Assuming you're using a tube amp, lowering the volume would probably have a lot to do with the sound man, power tubes cooking can add a lot to the sound...and just raising the volume on an od pedal would just make it hit the pre-amp harder, it really wouldn't do anything for your power tubes....

Just got done shoveling my driveway, what a damn fuckin' big mess....at least 18" of snow here, if not more....supposed to get more too....I'm sick of winter already....

Quick question, I turned the vol up on amp, sounded fine, then notched it back a bit and turned the vol up on the pedal. Also sounded cool, but different. Any idea what the physics is behind this?
If it's a tube preamp, turning up the pedal vol pushes the front of the amp harder.

Les Paul pickguards....

I think Les Paul's with a nice fancy top look better without the pickguard.

Plain tops, like my Gold tTop, look better with the pickguard

500 pages guys....wow....

I'll have to take a couple pics of my Lester without the pickguard & see what you guys think, I can't decide if I like it better or not really, I like it either way to be honest....:)

I'd prefer a tube amp like anyone else. There is some decent enough solid state gear about and it's a lot cheaper. I would prefer a tube amp but I am generally pretty happy with the tone of my SS amp.

I'd prefer a tube amp like anyone else.
If you only have a single SS amp then you're gonna want a nice tube amp, of course.
But I have 14 of them so I'm covered although i'm getting either that new mesa Mark V mini or a Carvin V3 micro sometime this year I think.

But this particular SS amp isn't really cheaper than some of my tube amps ...... just wanting something different.

Last edited:
My nephew got one of those Carvin V3 heads & a 2x12 vertical slant cab back in the summer....He seems pretty happy with it, I've played through it just a little & it sounded ok, but I'm sure it'd be better than my initial impression if I spent some time with it....His 2x12 has V30's in it....

I'd prefer a tube amp like anyone else. There is some decent enough solid state gear about and it's a lot cheaper. I would prefer a tube amp but I am generally pretty happy with the tone of my SS amp.

Hey JDOD. You missed my question before - are you looking for a combo and what's your budget?

Back