The New Tone Thread

Jonny: Where are the pics of the new beast dude??? Where are the clips???:D

Haha, sorry. I just took it out of the boot of the car this morning. It's sitting in the flight case on top of my iso box. No time for that right now. I ordered some speakers, which will hopefully arrive this week. I'll try and find some time to install them this weekend, then maybe there'll be a test run. I have a lot of school work right now, so it has to wait for the time being. Bad timing for buying a badass amp, but the deal came up when it did.

Johnny, I ideally want a 1×12 40W combo. I had a dream last night that I had a Marshall DSL. Haha

Budget is 5 to 600 quid

Johnny, I ideally want a 1×12 40W combo. I had a dream last night that I had a Marshall DSL. Haha

Budget is 5 to 600 quid

I don't know many combos, I've only tried out heads over the last few years. Were I you, I'd seriously consider the Orange Dual Terror and find a deal on a 1x12 (maybe a custom job from Zilla cabs or second hand). Go try one if you can, they sound great.

Just had a thought actually. . Could I possibly use my peavey bandit as a cab. Pretty sure it has an input.

Just had a thought actually. . Could I possibly use my peavey bandit as a cab. Pretty sure it has an input.

Looking at pics online, I can see a cab out, a preamp in and a footswitch, but it depends on the model. However, you could easily wire a jack to the speaker and use it, if you can do a little soldering.

Looking at pics online, I can see a cab out, a preamp in and a footswitch, but it depends on the model. However, you could easily wire a jack to the speaker and use it, if you can do a little soldering.

You'd need to be careful of the power rating and impedance of the speaker, of course.

I plugged in the JCM800 today. Here comes a little clip - just a few chords not to a click. I had everything on 5, except the preamp and power were on 2 (didn't want to pop my greenback). Les Paul into the High input, rolled the volume back a little to get rid of some of the harshness (I found this amp very responsive to a bit of volume control when I was trying it out at lowish volumes). This is in the iso box and I didn't mess with the mic placement since my amp shootout a few pages back - it's just a quick n dirty first go with it.

I tried the low input and barely got any output, even if I bumped the master volume up to 4 - is this normal? Maybe there's a problem - I read that most users never use that input anyway, but I'll experiment more when I get new speakers I'm not scared of popping.

On the high input I did briefly put the volume up to 3 or so and it's totally acceptable noise levels in the iso box - maybe up to 6 when the power section gets cooking will be ok too?!?!

I plugged in the JCM800 today. Here comes a little clip - just a few chords not to a click. I had everything on 5, except the preamp and power were on 2 (didn't want to pop my greenback). Les Paul into the High input, rolled the volume back a little to get rid of some of the harshness (I found this amp very responsive to a bit of volume control when I was trying it out at lowish volumes). This is in the iso box and I didn't mess with the mic placement since my amp shootout a few pages back - it's just a quick n dirty first go with it.

I tried the low input and barely got any output, even if I bumped the master volume up to 4 - is this normal? Maybe there's a problem - I read that most users never use that input anyway, but I'll experiment more when I get new speakers I'm not scared of popping.

On the high input I did briefly put the volume up to 3 or so and it's totally acceptable noise levels in the iso box - maybe up to 6 when the power section gets cooking will be ok too?!?!

Haha! Yes, nice and jangly. Sounds good to me. You can get that same kind of sound with a little more girth when you get the volume up a little more. At 2 and 2 on the volume controls you're not going to get much of anything from the low input. That's normal. The low input is like a 6 db reduction in input, so it's naturally not going to drive the rest of the amp very hard. If that clean-ish jangle kind of sound is what you're after the low input with the knobs wound up would be a good choice. Use the low input, crank the master vol, and trim with the preamp vol and you can get some Plexi-ish type clean sounds. For the high input you really need to gt the master up to around 4 or 5 to get it into the thicker kind of sound. By that point it's really quite loud.

These amps can be quite bright at low gain and low volumes. Juggle the treble and presence controls to tame the brightness. I usually run my treble or presence very low, but not both of them. One or the other. Use either one for your high end, and roll the other way back.

Haha! Yes, nice and jangly. Sounds good to me. You can get that same kind of sound with a little more girth when you get the volume up a little more. At 2 and 2 on the volume controls you're not going to get much of anything from the low input. That's normal. The low input is like a 6 db reduction in input, so it's naturally not going to drive the rest of the amp very hard. If that clean-ish jangle kind of sound is what you're after the low input with the knobs wound up would be a good choice. Use the low input, crank the master vol, and trim with the preamp vol and you can get some Plexi-ish type clean sounds. For the high input you really need to gt the master up to around 4 or 5 to get it into the thicker kind of sound. By that point it's really quite loud.

These amps can be quite bright at low gain and low volumes. Juggle the treble and presence controls to tame the brightness. I usually run my treble or presence very low, but not both of them. One or the other. Use either one for your high end, and roll the other way back.

Thanks Greg - great advice - I'll try it out when I get to some experimenting with it.

The new speakers arrived today - glad I didn't pay the extra for next day delivery because they came just as quick. Now all I need is to find some time...

I suspected it was a modeller, but I didn't wanna call you out. It doesn't sound very good to me. Really thin and lacks air. I don't think it did a good job of duplicating a tube amp at all. :o

Funny you say Axe FX doesn't sound good as a modular, the biggest bands in the world use it today, live and in the studio.

plus the AxeFX IS a modeller ...... I have no idea what a modular might be ..... and some of the biggest bands use them but hardly all or. for that matter, even most of them.

Skipped a couple of pages there.
I was actually confused as fuck about his post, so I did some digging/searching, holy fuck, that's from the very first page in this thread!!! Skipped a couple plus another 500 pages...:laughings:.

Clip sounded good Jonny, I can't tell you to wind the volume up on your new amp, because it might fry the speaker you're using with it right now....Get the new speakers put in there, & you should have no worries about blowing 'em dude....Then you can crank that thing, & get the kick-ass tones you've been wanting dude....

More snow here guys, probaly about 2-3 more inches just guessing...makes it about 20-21" already, & there's supposed to be more on the way....Damn I hate this shit...

And something sounds good or it doesn't. I don't care that an AssFx costs 2 thousand dollars and sterile lame-o radio bands use them. It can still sound like shit. So can amps.

And something sounds good or it doesn't. I don't care that an AssFx costs 2 thousand dollars and sterile lame-o radio bands use them. It can still sound like shit. So can amps.
Yep, just listen to my clips dude, that's all the proof anyone needs that an amp can sound like shit.....:laughings:

Yep, just listen to my clips dude, that's all the proof anyone needs that an amp can sound like shit.....:laughings:

Haha, the Kemper nerds aren't beating down my door to copy my shit either. :laughings:

Speaking of sounding like shit, I played a bunch of tiny SS modeling amps today, looking for one for my nephew who has decided he wants to learn how to play. I purposefully only played the smallest, cheapest models of each brand I could find.

My verdict - they all suck ass real bad.

The more objective verdict - The Marshall MG and Fender G-Dec things won hands down. The Peavey Vypyr and Line 6 stuff was horrid garbage. The Line 6 stuff sucked so bad I actually had to question God on how he could let such a blasphemous destruction of tone exist on this earth.

The little MG micro-stack I had actually sounded pretty decent for what it was....I'd say the smallest MG combo you could find for him would work well........unless you'd wanna loan him one of your big amps....:)

For a beginner, practice amp, whatever the current 15w SS Marshall small combo is (is that the MG?) is usually a good bet. I even used to play mine with a drummer and 2nd guitarist sometimes at school and it kept up ok.

Back