The New Tone Thread

Thanks for the listen(s) & comments on the clips guys...

The DSL100 is a really bright amp, so keeping the highs/presence pretty low is key IMO...I had the mids cranked trying to get some clarity to be honest, where I keept he highs/presence kinda low, it can get muddy through the mic...I will say the sound in the room is very different than what the mic captures....Since I put the 4 different speakers in the cab, it really doesn't have any low-end, compared to when I had the T-75's in there, but that's normal I suppose...

While all 4 speakers sound a little different from one another, the Greenback is still my favorite, I can pretty much throw a mic on it about anywhere, & it sounds good...The G12H is a little different, it's got more highs/high mids, so I usually have to have a darker mic placement for it...The '65 is about like the Greenback, maybe a little more picky where I put the mic, & the V30 is about like the GB, as long as it's not dead-center of the cone, it's usually good...

More snow last night, another 3-4 inches, damn if I ain't tired of this shit...supposed to be more on the way too, but it's also supposed to warm up by the weekend, so maybe some of this shit will melt off...It's been pretty rough here the last couple weeks or so....I hate winter!!!!:laughings:

Also ...... I didn't find that clip/jack cup difficult at all ...... once the hole was right for the cup ...... I found getting the clip in place pretty easy.
Dunno why people buy a special tool for that unless they do a lot of them.

Later

I don't own one. Nvere seen the point in many of the tools that the likes of stew mac try to sell to hobbyists. If some one cant fit one of those then they probably shouldn't be messing with it in the first place...;)

I don't own one. Nvere seen the point in many of the tools that the likes of stew mac try to sell to hobbyists. If some one cant fit one of those then they probably shouldn't be messing with it in the first place...;)
I agree ..... you have to use a little sense and make sure there's enough thread left to get the nut on once the cup's in place. I can see that if you put the clip in too deep it could be hard to get back up .... I guess you'd have to push it on out the back of the hole and start again.
But I took my time and it was no biggie.

And in fairness to the p'up design ..... it is lovely to have no mounting screws showing and that cup ..... having that clip and no mounting screws for the cup is also kinda elegant.
I think that's part of what they were going for.

I gotta go gig and I'd take the new tele but the nut is preslotted and (as they should be) the slots are a little too high and need to be worked on and I need to give it a good fret dressing. I consider that normal for a new raw neck .... and then I'll give it a good oil/steel wool working over.

But I don't know where the hell my nut/fret files are. They were packed up 9 years ago when we moved here ..... I haven't needed them so I have a mojor search required to find them ..... they could be anywhere!

Gig time ..... later ...............

Perhaps it's time to change the name of this thread since it's now 505 pages long and obviously not new anymore. If this is the new one where is the old one?:wtf:

pro-tip

copper shielding tape will slice off a chunk of you without you noticing it.
Dude, I shielded my Strat a while back with copper foil and when I was done it looked like I got into a fight with an army of razor blades.

Perhaps it's time to change the name of this thread since it's now 505 pages long and obviously not new anymore. If this is the new one where is the old one?:wtf:
The old one was in the cave.

It'd called New Tone cos it's where you share your new tones!

Speaking of which:
I got a chance to reamp today.

Epiphone Custom one the neck pickup.

This one is through an Orange Tiny Terror going into a Marshall 4x12 and recorded with a Beta 57.

And this one is with a DVMark Triple 6 with the same stuff.

What do you guys think?

to me the DV sounds way better.
I'd been kinda curious about those .... glad to hear one.

The TT sounds kinda muffled to me .

The DVs are pretty neat-o. It's definitely marketed towards heavy metal players but it has a clean channel that's pretty hard to distort and a nice crunch channel.
This is actually the highest gain channel with the gain at about 3. The crunch one with gain at 6/7 was giving me the same amount of gain but it didn't have the right tone.

A friend of mine has the 15 watt version of this amp and uses it for a rock band but mostly overdrives it with different pedals so I couldn't really vouch for it since I can't honestly say I've ever heard the amp's own overdrive. :laughings:

I know that they pulled the Triple 6 after a short while. It's up to you to decide why, I guess. I'd personally just say that the big tube amp market is oversaturated (lol) with great products already. Most people would rather get a Marshall or and Orange then risk over 1 grand on a new style.

I like the DV clip best, although if the TT had just a little more top end, it'd sound tits, to me, it's got more bottom end punch...

Yeah, preferred the DV after listening to about 1 note! Was obvious straight away. Usual question from me, how much and where can I buy one?

Starting to think I may have to chance it and buy an amp blind. Mate of mine is going to lend me a Fender for 6 months to tide me over though.

JDOD: Dude, all my amps I've bought blind, I live so far back in the sticks, there are no music shops to try anything out, unless I wanna drive at least an hour one way, probably more (the one I was thinking about is closed now I think...)...

Can't you get a DSL40 with a 30-day guarantee???? That would give you enough time to try it out long enough to make sure you like it.....I highly recommend it dude....BTW, I've found another good tone (to me anyway) that I'll post up tomorrow...

And, I think the amp in that clip you like is discontinued, but were about $1000 new...

If your friend is gonna loan you a Fender, that's cool man...You might have what you're looking for right there, just depends really....

I think the DV sounded better in those clips, but I suspect the Orange could sound better. It's been a while but I didn't much care for the DV amps I've tried in the past. But in those clips, the DV wins easily to me.

thing about the Orange is that you don't have any EQ. Just a single tone control that mostly works kinda like the tone on a guitar ...... it just makes the tone darker when you turn it down but there's no way to put any 'sparkle' on top.
I gig with mine sometimes but it's just super midrangey no matter what you do.

Here's a little low-ish volume tone I recorded today with the Chupacabra....As usual, nothing special, just getting a feel of the amp & different speakers...again....lol...

LP > Chupa > '65 > '57

Resonance: 0
Presence: 0
Bass: 6
Middle: 4
Treble: 4
Master: 7
Gain 2: 1
Gain 1: 5
Era: 80's
Bright 2: L
Bright 1: C