The New Tone Thread

Wait a minute, I'll put these on for the next clip!
hmpantsmatte.jpg

they shipped my stuff ................. eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :)

In other news .... my soldering skills are bad ass!
Wife had one of those solar powered flowers on her dashboard ... you know the 'dancing' flowers that flap their leaves and bob back and forth?

Anyway ..... it quit working ..... I broke it open ..... found where a magnet had come loose and snapped a wire from the electro-magnet coil to the small circuit board.
This wire is TINY!!! ........ smaller than one of my wifes hairs .... so small, she never could even see it even with a magnifying glass.

I soldered that bitch back and fixed the $2.59 toy!

I'm a soldering monster!!

Last edited:
Round 3 of the metal experiment. Here's something I never do - drop tune. And here's why I never do it.

Gibson 70s SG - minihumbucker bridge pickup
Marshall JVM410 - OD1 Orange mode
Bass - 6
Mid - 3
Treb - 5
Resonance - 3
Presence - 3
Gain - 4
Ch vol - 6
Master vol - 6
Marshall 1960B 4x12 - Vintage 30 - Audix i5 just outside dustcap, on axis, 2" off grill.
No EQ/processing in DAW

Look, I'm not a stoner, okay?

Tell me how this is for some sludge maybe?

Greg, I finally got around to listening to your metal clips...I honestly don't know how they compare to the originals, as to be honest, I don't know who the second clip is band/song-wise, & on the first clip, I hate Metallica dude...I mean sure, the "Black" album broke them & other heavy bands through to the mainstream, making it ok to like that type of music for the regular Joe-Blow, but I still hate 'em...Your clips sound pretty meaty & chunky to me though...But again, I have no idea how they compare to the originals, or how they'd fit into a mix...I'll dig around in those Rock Band mulit-tracks I've got & see what all I have, I might post a little clip of one of the bands' guitars to compare if you wanna....

I got some really bad news at work last night too, dunno if I should post this in public, but all you guys are my friends, so here goes:

Lost my job, got laid off, the mine shut down...:(They're paying us for the rest of the week, & I get one more paycheck from 'em, but that's it until the coal orders pick back up, if they do...I still have my medical insurance until the end of March, but I don't know what the fuck I'm gonna do...I just bought a fuckin' house, & have made only one payment on the fucker, with lots & lots to go...There are really no jobs around here in my field (coal mining) anymore, & I'm flipping out...I can sign up on unemployment for a year (I think, it might only be 6 months), & that would pay my bills, except for the medical insurance, so, I'm in a fuckin' pickle over here...The little shit hole I've been working at did last almost 5 years though, so maybe something else will turn up for me....

Good news is, everything's paid up for a little while, & I'll have lots of time for my recording...:laughings:.

so sorry man .... that sucks. :(

For medical ins. go to an insurance agent and have them set you up with the ACA (obamacare if you must :rolleyes: )

We had it the first half of this year until Deb's new job took over. They subsidized us to the tune of a grand a month because of our low income ..... you're gonna have NO income so you'll be able to get it cheap or even free. Don't let all the Fox news devotees tell you any of the crap they say about it ...... people in your position are the very people it was meant to help even if they didn't design it as well as they could have..
It's not hard to enroll, especially if you let an insurance agent do it for you. They know the ins and outs and how to get it done ..... took us 15 minutes and this was back when it was being rolled out and was a mess.

As for the rest ..... will you get unemployment or anything like that to help for a while?

Good luck man ..... you'll be in my thoughts ..... I hope something good happens for you really soon.

Sorry to hear the bad news, Minerman. I hope you get something else quick. Is it possible to move to a new location?

I have been laid off several times. Once for 8 months right before signing up here at HR. I pulled money out of my 401k/IRA to make ends meet while the markets were crashing. Just about completely dissolved my retirement funds. :(

Hey, if you know anything about lasers and have a technical background, I have a job for you.

Thanks guys....yeah, I can get unemployment, as I've held a job for the last 17 years, steadily...there might've been a month or two here/there I was out of work, but even so, I'd been at the last job almost 5 years, so there's no question I'll be able to get the unemployment, the thing is, I dunno how long it'll take 'em to get my $$$ rolling to me...A neighbor where I used to live told me a couple years ago it took 'em almost 3 months to get him any $$$....they did pay him the 3 months all at once, but still, that'd be really hard, no income for 3 months....

I took the day for myself, as I've literally busted my ass for years to make a living, so today is "my" day just to lay around...But I'm getting up in the morning, going to the unemployment office & signing up, then hit the road going to different places to look for a job...They may even be able to help me find another job, but the thing is, I'm a coal miner, & most of the work around here has dried up & blew away...

The good thing is, I only owe for my new place & my little Jeep Liberty, that's it...All my gear & other shit is paid for...I do have a little $$$ put away just for times like this, but I really hate to get into it, but will probably have to...

I know I'll be ok, & something will turn up, it's just stressful as fuck because I just bought this house...

Oh well, that's life though...

The mine I was at may even call me back, I dunno, & there may be a job turn up for me, I'm not bragging, but I'm a good fuckin' coal miner, a good miner operator, with 25 years of that shit under my belt...

Trying to stay positive over here guys...

You got your spandex pants on Greg????:laughings:

Miner, that's fucking shit, mate. Weirdly I am in a similar situation.

I moved into my new house on Monday but I also lost my job. Lost the job on the 5th of January but pushed the house purchase through before the bank realised I was unemployed and refused me the loan.

I am a geologist and can go freelance. Ok, it's got no security but it's good money. I have to stay away Monday to Thursday but it's better than the bank taking my new pad by the beach.

Is this something you could try? Working away during the week?

Depressing, but could you pick up work decommissioning the mine?

JDOD: Thanks dude, it really blows, but I have to just to just suck it up & make it...I've seen hard times before (my whole life actually guys...), & this is really nothing new to me, it's just at a bad time...A few years ago, I wouldn't have even worried about finding another job, but with the economy, most of the mines around here have all but shut down, with more to come I'm afraid...

I'm just gonna take the day off, I'm working on some e-drum tracks right now, & start in the morning...I may end up taking a job that pays a lot less (doing something else....coal mining is all I know, it's all I've done basically all my life), just to keep my head above water...It would be nice not to have to go underground to make my living, but again, it's all I know...

I'll find out tomorrow what I'm really up against finding a job around here, so I may have to travel through the week, who knows??? I've gotta do what I gotta do...

I have the extreme pleasure of calling the ex-wife to tell her what's up too, as I have to keep her on my insurance until August of this year...

I really appreciate all you guys' support today, you'll never know how much it means to me....I'll make it though, I'm pretty sure I could survive on a cinder block in the desert if I had to, I just wanna keep my new pad, & I'm actually pretty worried about that mostly...

Yeah, that's what worried me most too. New pad in a shit state that needs work doing to it and now I am spending Monday to Friday a 5 hour drive a way doing a geological survey at a nuclear plant. But hey, mortgage gotta be paid too.

First day back after Christmas I came back to "sorry, no job. Good luck"

I wanted to deck the smug self satisfied twat.

Shit as it is miner you could probably go freelance contracting. Possibly offshore or in the middle east - month on, fortnight off or something. Brilliant money, lifestyle impact. Possible short term solution to get cash behind you while you maybe re train for something else. I am currently thinking of retraining as a high school physics teacher.

That really sucks! :(

I'm sure you know all you options, but maybe there is other mining work, at differenet mines where your expertise would be needed...?

Good luck man!!!

Sorry to read this news Coal Miner. First thing I thought of was your expertise in a dying industry. The new guy kinda came close...
Shit as it is miner you could probably go freelance contracting. Possibly offshore or in the middle east - month on, fortnight off or something. Brilliant money, lifestyle impact. ...
(Pleased to meet ya as it were JDOD)

Where do they still mine coal? China. An American with experience...what do you suppose that's worth? Enough to fly you back and forth to south hillbilly or wherever the fuck you live more than a few times.

Anyway - huge disruption but may be well worth it.

Well guys, I appreciate the help, but I'm gonna try to find a job locally....this is home, I don't know what I'd do anywhere else...it is the ass-end of the world, but, it's also home...Maybe if something doesn't turn up I'll have to travel, but that would probably be a "have to" thing....Never say never though, as I will have to have some $$$ coming in before too long...

Not gonna worry about it though (gonna try anyway...lol), as I've got a little while before the shit really gets deep....

I didn't really like my job (I'm burned out on mining...25 years of that shit day in, day out gets pretty old), it really wasn't the job itself, it was the people running the mine (pure pricks), but it did pay the bills....

I'd been expecting this for a long time to be honest, but this is really bad timing for me with the new house...

Lol. Minerman in China. Holy crap that would be hilarious. Take video please. :D

Yeah dude, that would be fuckin' funny to say the least...:laughings:.

On the up side of things, I have to say I think the e-drums are gonna work...I'm currently doing a song with 'em that I started on yesterday (before work too....only had a couple hours & most of that was setting the project up, little time-consuming shit like that...), & ran through the drum tracks a couple times, & already my fake drums sound more natural...Of course, using drum samplers, they're never gonna sound completely real, but already they sound much better than my programmed drums...

I'd planned on posting some toans today, but I've laid around on my ass all day (fuck, I didn't even get out of bed until about 12 noon today..), but I've let the time slip by me...I'll get 'round to 'em tomorrow though, & I'll have lotsa time for shit like that until I do go back to work....

Hell, if I could make it on unemployment, I'd just lay on my ass for however long that $$$ lasts...I know it's 6 months, maybe a year (not sure, I'll find out tomorrow), so I may have a loooong fucking vacation...I'm not really worried about having a lot of $$$, my main concern is just paying the bills & "making it"...hmmm.....

lol ... Easy Rest salesman putting high pressure sales pitch on my 93 year old mom in law ran into an unexpected buzzsaw when I got wind of it and was there in 5 minutes to throw his ass out! :D

Back