The New Tone Thread

Thanks for the listen(s) guys, I didn't try to get the 2 amps to sound so similar, but they do sound very much alike when dialed in like this...

I'll say it again too, the DSL100 kills the Chupacabra on sheer volume...I had 2 -20' cables (had the Bogner plugged up, by bypassed), & was in the other room while recording these tones, & it's unreal the volume difference between the two, even with the Chupa in plexi mode & all the switches centered, it still can't hold a candle to the DSL100's volume...The new woman helped me hang some pictures/shelves/what-nots on the walls since moving in, & the DSL took some of 'em off the walls...I ended up turning it down because they were literally shaking off the walls & I didn't want some of 'em to break (some of those things are older than I am, & have been passed down through the years through my family...)...:).

Speakers are getting broken in better & better too...Just guessing, I'd say another week or so of me fucking around with these loud amps will put the new speakers where they need to be...Hell, they might even be broken in now, but I'm sure they'll just get better with time too...

Did you guys notice the room reverberation on these clips??? I'm gonna have to make some acoustic panels out of the Roxul I have left to kill the reflections in the new pad...Sheetrock walls, & I'm guessing the sounds are just bouncing around in there...

On "that guy", I tried to be nice, get him to stay/post some of his tones, understand what this thread is about/for, but, guess he really didn't wanna participate in the thread how we intended it to be, so really, it's his loss...I don't understand some folks sometimes, but that's ok...

The Gibson thing puzzles me too, they're only shooting themselves in the foot by doing what they're doing....I'm glad I got my Lester last year before all this shit went down...I do have to say, the LP I have is one of the best playing, best sounding guitars I've ever owned...I didn't know the necks were so different this year, & I can see why folks are raising so much hell over 'em now...

I would never, ever have one of those self-tuning guitars myself, too much shit to fuck up, & I've got a $12 Snark tuner tha works pretty damn good....:laughings:.

I'd say you're about right dude, but I can definitely hear it...Listen really closely where my playing stops for a second, it's there...I may re-arrange this room too, right now it's pretty good, but with all my shit in here, it's already getting a little cramped...lol...I think I'm gonna need a bigger boat...

Something I may do later on is knock out the wall between these 2 rooms (it's basically a closet in each room seperating 'em), & make one big fuckin' music room, that'd give me plenty of room for the future, like another 4x12 or two...

I'd say you're about right dude, but I can definitely hear it...Listen really closely where my playing stops for a second, it's there...I may re-arrange this room too, right now it's pretty good, but with all my shit in here, it's already getting a little cramped...lol...I think I'm gonna need a bigger boat...

Something I may do later on is knock out the wall between these 2 rooms (it's basically a closet in each room seperating 'em), & make one big fuckin' music room, that'd give me plenty of room for the future, like another 4x12 or two...

Ha, I was thinking of doing the same thing. Right next to my room is the dining room. It's nice and all, but we rarely use it. It just sits there looking all fancy and shit. There's a wall between my room and the dining room, and originally that wall wasn't there. It's supposed to be an open combo area. My room is supposed to be like an entryway formal "sitting room" that blends into the dining room with only an open archway connecting the two. As my house was being built, the original owner decided to wall up between the entry room and the dining room, any my room was born as like a "study" and the dining room because it's own room. The arch is still there, it just has a wall going down the middle of it. So I can knock out this one wall, door up the dining room, and make the whole thing the Greg room. The wife hasn't totally shot me down, so it could happen. :D

Haha awesome. What pickups are you gonna use?
absolutely everything is coming from guitar fetish.

They have some wax potted alnico p'ups modeled on the '59 or the '63 teles. I went with the '63 'cause my early encounters with twangy country teles were in the mid to late 60's. I really want to get that sound .... for the same reason I went with the three bar old style tele bridge even though I may have some intonation issues.
If they bother me I'll grab some compensated saddles but I'm gonna stay with the three saddles ... two strings to each saddle.

Getting a maple neck .... satin finish on the back ..... NO finish on the fretboard.
Double bound body ...... pearl pickguard although i toyed with the idea of not having a pickguard .... but if you're going for a true tele then you sorta need the guard.

Oh crap! I JUST realized I forgot to order tuners! oops ......... :D

I have to decide if I'm going with modern locking tuners or will I go for something more like the original Klusons ...... old style will be lighter so I may go that way to keep the neck light but I really do like the advantages of locking tuners.

Well, I guess I have a few days to ponder it since I forgot to order any! Dumbass ................ :laughings:

Anyways ....... not counting the tuners I didn't order ..... just shy of 3 bills. Tuners will be another 25-30.

I'll put it together .... tweak it into submission ...... play a few gigs and then sell it to someone for $425 :D
I want one for recording ..... there's times when that's the only guitar tha'll do that sound ..... if you ever do country you almost HAVE to have one.

absolutely everything is coming from guitar fetish.

They have some wax potted alnico p'ups modeled on the '59 or the '63 teles. I went with the '63 'cause my early encounters with twangy country teles were in the mid to late 60's. I really want to get that sound .... for the same reason I went with the three bar old style tele bridge even though I may have some intonation issues.
If they bother me I'll grab some compensated saddles but I'm gonna stay with the three saddles ... two strings to each saddle.

Getting a maple neck .... satin finish on the back ..... NO finish on the fretboard.
Double bound body ...... pearl pickguard although i toyed with the idea of not having a pickguard .... but if you're going for a true tele then you sorta need the guard.

Oh crap! I JUST realized I forgot to order tuners! oops ......... :D

I have to decide if I'm going with modern locking tuners or will I go for something more like the original Klusons ...... old style will be lighter so I may go that way to keep the neck light but I really do like the advantages of locking tuners.

Well, I guess I have a few days to ponder it since I forgot to order any! Dumbass ................ :laughings:

Anyways ....... not counting the tuners I didn't order ..... just shy of 3 bills. Tuners will be another 25-30.

I'll put it together .... tweak it into submission ...... play a few gigs and then sell it to someone for $425 :D
I want one for recording ..... there's times when that's the only guitar tha'll do that sound ..... if you ever do country you almost HAVE to have one.

I bought my tele from Guitarfetish and I love that guitar. It wasn't perfect when I got it, but a quick setup and dressing of the frets and it was good to go. The one little problem I found with it is static build up on the pickguard creating noise with the pickups. If you're thinking of not having a pickguard, this might help you decide.

I bought my tele from Guitarfetish and I love that guitar. It wasn't perfect when I got it, but a quick setup and dressing of the frets and it was good to go. The one little problem I found with it is static build up on the pickguard creating noise with the pickups. If you're thinking of not having a pickguard, this might help you decide.
Yeah, they make outstanding stuff for stupid low prices.
I have a red metalflake tele thinline from them and I love it.
But it's not a tele really is it? ..... two humbuckers and a semi-solid body. :rolleyes: I like it 'cause it red metalflake ..... RED METALFLAKE guys!!!

But I'm building this one, not buying one of theirs ...... this should be a step up from the Xaviers ..... although they really are amazing at their prices.

But they're starting to have some premium parts that are a bit better than their standard parts and p'ups ..... just the parts alone are running almost twice what they sell some of the teles for.
..... they also have some nice necks and bodies already finished and bound.

I've got a friend that says no way it'll be a good tele and I'm gonna prove his ass wrong ........... then sell it to him at a markup! I can just make another ....... :)

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Be sure to start another thread.
erg ..... mingling with the masses ..... ...... I guess I can do that. I'm not shaking hands though! :D

I would have thought it would be be boring but maybe not to some of the newbies .... it would be cool to help them realize they can do it too and have a personalized guitar for relatively cheap.

Absolutely anyone can do it ....... it's about as tough as assembling IKEA furniture. :D

But it's gonna be a few weeks ..... I have company coming to the house in two weeks so even though I'll have the stuff before then, I won't start on it 'till they're gone.

Ha, I was thinking of doing the same thing. Right next to my room is the dining room. It's nice and all, but we rarely use it. It just sits there looking all fancy and shit. There's a wall between my room and the dining room, and originally that wall wasn't there. It's supposed to be an open combo area. My room is supposed to be like an entryway formal "sitting room" that blends into the dining room with only an open archway connecting the two. As my house was being built, the original owner decided to wall up between the entry room and the dining room, any my room was born as like a "study" and the dining room because it's own room. The arch is still there, it just has a wall going down the middle of it. So I can knock out this one wall, door up the dining room, and make the whole thing the Greg room. The wife hasn't totally shot me down, so it could happen. :D

I'd be doing about the same thing, knock out the wall/closets between these 2 bedrooms, & at the end of the hall, put a door up to keep the noise out of the rest of the house, & keep my shit all in one room...that'd double the area I've currently got, & would allow lots of room for me to "grow" with my gear...That would give me a music room of around 20' x 24'...It'll probably be awhile before I can get around to doing this, the bills have me by the balls right now, but should see some relief in a month or two...

I know it's off-topic for our thread, but I'm really liking the e-drums...I laid down a basic song with 'em today, & I'm studying the midi comparing it to what I've been doing programming-wise...I've still got a long way to go to be a drummer, but still, this is a lot fuckin' easier than hand-programming all that shit, or tryint to get Jamstix to do what I want it to...I've been playing those things pretty much non-stop all weekend...:).

erg ..... mingling with the masses ..... ...... I guess I can do that. I'm not shaking hands though! :D

I would have thought it would be be boring but maybe not to some of the newbies .... it would be cool to help them realize they can do it too and have a personalized guitar for relatively cheap.

Absolutely anyone can do it ....... it's about as tough as assembling IKEA furniture. :D

But it's gonna be a few weeks ..... I have company coming to the house in two weeks so even though I'll have the stuff before then, I won't start on it 'till they're gone.

I was looking at their Les Paul kits. 200 bucks? That's insane. You can barely get one Gibson pickup for 200 bucks. :D

Hey boob, do it like this! :D
Telecaster-table.jpg

Okay here's some real, true metal. Bonus points if you know this true classic pure metal song that all other metal aspires to be.

Les Paul Traditional - Burstbucker 3 bridge
Marshall JCM 800 2203
Pres - 2
Bass - 5
Mid - 7
Treb - 4
Preamp vol - 8
Master vol - 5
Tube Screamer in front - Drive 9:00 - Tone 11:00 - Level 3:00
Marshall 1960A - G12-65 - Audix i5 on axis, on grill, dustcap/cone
No EQ or processing in DAW

Best metal song ever