The New Tone Thread

Okay here's some real, true metal. Bonus points if you know this true classic pure metal song that all other metal aspires to be.

Les Paul Traditional - Burstbucker 3 bridge
Marshall JCM 800 2203
Pres - 2
Bass - 5
Mid - 7
Treb - 4
Preamp vol - 8
Master vol - 5
Tube Screamer in front - Drive 9:00 - Tone 11:00 - Level 3:00
Marshall 1960A - G12-65 - Audix i5 on axis, on grill, dustcap/cone
No EQ or processing in DAW

Best metal song ever

Haha, is that Poison's Talk Dirty To Me?

Yeah, that's "Talk Dirty To Me" by Poison...Can't belive it...the Gerg doing Poison...lol...

Pretty good job on the lead/solo too dude...I remember learning that with my BC Rich Warlock & Marshall Micro-Stack when the cassette came out...IIRC, I was about 16...

I was an unashamed Poison fan when I was 13 or 14. Open Up an Say Aaah... was the first cassette that I bought myself, and I was batshit crazy about that album. I came of age in such an unfortunate era of american music.

Anyways, the tone! This one I'm not crazy about. Did you have a phaser or flanger on it? That's not so bad. There's a fizzy grit or grain to it that's not agreeing with me. I don't think its the overdrive. Maybe its the preamp gain. Maybe its the fact that you're not playing a BC Rich Warlock :D

Lol. Yup, that's Poison, the ultimate metal band. :D

Yeah there's a flanger right at the beginning. I know the tone is garbage. Or maybe it's just right for hair metal? I don't know. I just turned the amp on and slammed it with a tube screamer. I bet it's the Tube Screamer causing the problem because that amp never sounds bad on it's own. I don't know anything about proper metal tone, how to play it, or how to get it. Maybe that should be my next quest. I'll try to get some proper metal tone so I can never use it. :D

I think your ace of spades tone would sound better for it. Possibly with the tube screamer in front to push it a little harder.

I honestly don't know how close your tone is to the original Greg (I honestly don't care either....lol), but I do know on the album/cassette/whatever, you can hear some kind of fx on CC DeVille's sound...So, I'd say you're pretty close dude...as close as I'd ever hear the Gerg get to a tone like that...hahaha

Actually, your playing on that is really good dude, really close to the song, you maybe even nailed the solo...

Check your pm's dude, I've got a couple questions...

I honestly don't know how close your tone is to the original Greg (I honestly don't care either....lol), but I do know on the album/cassette/whatever, you can hear some kind of fx on CC DeVille's sound...So, I'd say you're pretty close dude...as close as I'd ever hear the Gerg get to a tone like that...hahaha

Actually, your playing on that is really good dude, really close to the song, you maybe even nailed the solo...

Check your pm's dude, I've got a couple questions...

Lol. Thanks. CC is a metal master. The standard by which all metal players are measured. His sound is swimming reverb and delays and kinds of ghastly shit. I'll try it again tomorrow. Maybe do some metallica. :laughings:

Maybe do some metallica. :laughings:[/QUOTE]

All of the gain!!! None of the mid. I actually quite like metallica. See if you can give us a passable Master of Puppets.

I don't actually know what the poison song is supposed to sound like.

tin with a zinc coating

:D
Ha, yes. Cheap faux metal. :D

On that note, here's some more cheap faux metal! Better? I don't think so, but what do I know? This is more gain and fewer mids than I'd ever use, but I gotta experiment, right? I'm trying to defeat the fizz with lots of gain. So here it goes. I used my pointiest guitar. :thumbs up:

Gibson 70s SG - minihumbucker bridge
Marshall JVM410 - OD2 - Red mode - this is the highest gain channel this amp has. It's just silly.
Resonance - 0
Presence - 0
Bass - 7
Mid - 1 :eek:
Treb - 4
Gain - 3
Ch vol - 6
Master vol - 6
Marshall 1960B 4x12 - G12T-75 - SM57 halfway to edge, on axis, on grill.
No EQ or processing in DAW

Mids? Midtallica don't need no stinkin mids!

So let me know if this is passable metal. I can't fucking tell. :facepalm:

Ok, it's not exactly Scraping Foetus Off The Wheel but it's a good impression of early Metallica which had far more of a rock and roll sound to their late 80s and early 90s stuff.

I thought you were going to go full metal tone!!!

Back