The New Tone Thread

learn 3 hours of covers and play restaurants and such

I'd thought about that Bob, but I'd have to drive at least an hour & 1/2 - 2 hours each way...Like I said, I like in the boonies...It'd totally be worth it though if I could do that, I'd be like you, living the dream...Depending on how much $$$/week the unemployment is, that might be an option for extra $$$...

Just to be honest, I'd really like to find something to make a living at without going underground...but, it's all I know...maybe if the unemployment thing comes through (I know I'll get it, just "when"...), I can go back to school or train for something else...Coal dust is in my blood though, again, it's all I know...

Here's you guys a few pics of me at work to give you an idea of what I've done for a living all these years....If you look closely in the 2nd pic, you can see my Diet Mountain Dew to the right of me, next to my plastic Wal-Mart bag with my lunch in it..:D.This was lunch time that day, & as usual, we ate when we had time...

I'd thought about that Bob, but I'd have to drive at least an hour & 1/2 - 2 hours each way...Like I said, I like in the boonies...It'd totally be worth it though if I could do that, I'd be like you, living the dream...
first off .... the coal mining looks terrifying ...... you must have huge balls my friend.

As for playing ..... of course it's only extra money ...... it's VERY hard to make a living at it unless you're as amazing as I am ..... :D .... but ANY money is more money than no money is kinda my philosophy.
And none of my gigs are closer than 45 minutes to an hour and I don't think twice about two hour drives ..... thankfully gas is cheap.
If you could pull 5 gigs a month that's another 5-6 hundred bucks in the kitty ... and often cash money.
Certainly that won't pay your house note but it won't hurt.

Greg: No dude, I'm afraid it's not a stereotype...That shit is like heroin for me, I have to have it...lol...A diet Dew & a Marlboro red are the first things I have as soon as I get outta bed...I actually drank a regular Dew a day or so ago, & couldn't believe how bad that shit tastes now that I've been on the diet for so long...But yeah, lots of folks 'round here have to have their Dew, & I'm one of 'em....:).

Bob: Yeah dude, maybe I could do some gigging while I'm off work man, & I know it won't make my house payment alone (the $$$ I'd make from gigs, around here anyway, like I've mentioned, this is the ass-end of the world, there's nothing here, literally...), but fuck yeah, any extra $$$ is welcome, whether I'm working or not...:thumbs up:.

And on the coal mining, thanks dude, but it's all what you get used to...Sure, it's dangerous as fuck, but isn't everything??? I personally think it's more dangerous driving on the roads with all the drivers using their cellphones myself...Just about every day, I see someone in front of me (thank goodness...I slow waaaaay down or if I really get brave, I pass 'em to get away from them...lol) swerving all over the road, & 9 times out of 10, they're texting...

I'm having a fuckin' blast tonight with my new e-drum kit...This shit is really fun for me, & sure beats fuckin' hand programming those fuckers...I wish I'd bought a set years ago now, I've pretty much recorded 2 whole songs (drums anyway) in just a couple/few hours today (basically just fucking around), & I'm not even a drummer...:cool:. It should only get better for me too, as I've only had 'em about a week...Wish I had the $$$ for one of those high-dollar Roland kits.....:laughings:.Seriously, this kit is fine for me, the only thing I really don't like is the hi-hat controller, it's only got open/closed...I could buy another controller, & may eventually, but for now, this kit's fine...Never thought I'd like these things this much, I'm actually almost as happy with 'em as I was with the 2 new amps this past summer....

When all else fails there's always drug dealing and prostitution

I'd fuckin' starve being a prostitute dude...lol...And on the drug dealing, while I've seen more than my share of that side of life, with my luck, I'd get fuckin' arrested the first time I tried to do that shit....lol

Bumping our thread back up to the top guys....Re-amping some guitar tracks as I type this, I'll post some of 'em when I get done being loud...:D.

Ok, here's a few tones from a song I've been working on...I'm sure most of you guys can figure out what song this is without me telling you...I got into trying to record some vocals tonight, & the time slipped away from me...I meant to post these earlier, but again, time slipped away from me...:facepalm:.

All of these clips are with the Lester, the Celestion G12-65 re-issue, & the e609 mic, but I did use the 2 different amps, & there are some effects on a couple of them that I used in the daw....The dirty tones don't really sound like much on their own, but I think they sound pretty good in the mix...Hopefully, I'll finish this song up in a day or so, just about done with it....I think.....:laughings:.

I recorded all these di's last night with the ISO cab (IIRC, I recorded the last one about 4:30 this morning...), then re-amped 'em through the big amps tonight...Went for a darker mic placement, with the amp dialed in a little darker than I've been doing, & it seemed to have worked pretty good for this song/mix....We'll see I suppose....:D.

LP (bridge humbucker) > DSL > 65 > e609 > compression, reverb, chorus added in the daw

100w mode
Green clean
Resonance: 0
Presence: 5
Bass: 4
Mid: 6
Treble: 8
Volume: 5
Gain: 8

Clean 1

LP (bridge p'up, coil tapped/single coil mode) Chupa > 65 > e609 > compression, reverb, phaser & chorus added in the daw

Presence: 8
Bass: 5
Mid: 4
Treble: 8
Volume: 9
Gain 2: 1.5 - 2
Gain 1: 4-5
Plexi mode
Bright 2: C
Bright 1: C
Focus: Off

Clean 2

LP > Chupa > 65 > e609 (nothing added in daw)

Resonance: 3
Presence: 2
Bass: 7-8
Mid: 3
Treble: 5
Volume: 9
Gain 2: 3
Gain 1: 6
80's mode
Bright 2: L

Dirty Chupa

LP > SD-1 > DSL > 65 > e609

SD-1:
Level: 10
Tone: 3-4
Gain: 2-3

100w mode
Red/OD1

Resonance: 2
Presence: 5
Bass: 7-8
Mid: 4
Treble: 3
Volume: 4
Gain: 5
100w mode
Red/OD1

Boosted DSL

Sorry for the long ass post, just wanted you guys to know the details about these clips....Lemme know what you think...

Like both Clean 1 and 2...though Clean 1 has that nice clean chunk tone I like/

The Chupa is a bit dark/murky, which I guess is what you were going for....so it might be perfect in a mix when combined with another, more brighter/clearer guitar track....like the DSL.

The DSL is nice as-is, just right on its own....and I guess if you combine it with the Chupa for contrast, they could work well together.

sounds like a nice range of guitar sounds to fill the various parts of the spectrum ..... should work well.

I'm thinking you'll want a real balanced bass sound with enough highs to cut thru a bit and give you some note definition.

Clean 1 sounds extremely nice. Love the dark yet chimey highs on that last chord. I'd bet that it'd stand nicely on its own without the chorus.

Clean 2 sounds more classically clean, nothing to complain about there either. I think that Clean 1 has a little more personality though.

Dirty Chupa does sound a little too dark to me, but it has a nice tight low end. It would fit nicely into a mix with either of the above cleans but might not have the high end to stand on its own.

Boosted DSL sounds a little phasey after hearing the other clips. I guess that just comes from hearing slightly different mic positions or EQ settings. But damn that has a sweet tight low end to it. The transient response of those chopped and palm muted notes just cut. This one would work well in a mix since the mids are more pronounced.

I like clean 2 - but I like single col tones.
Boosted DSL was a little less bassy than the dirty chuppa which is cool.
Bummer about the hole in the ground.
Mines are closing downunder.
In my area 2 are owned by an Indian company with a BADDDDD reputations for financial management, paying workers and environment. Yet they get concessions from the govt. and the chance to pollute the Great Barrier Reef with dredging for a coal shipping terminal.
The coal prices are too low (the coal's mostly dirty brown from Victoria) and is stuff the previous Govt. was phasing out. The black diamonds stuff is still being dug but they're running too many shafts under residential areas and under rivers/reservoirs so people are bucking the big black cos. The new govt had them re open and now they're falling apart again because no one wants to pay for SUPER polluting brown. Then there's fracking - so super popular with the money makers that they're moving their money from coal to the super, super polluting fracas.
Meanwhile the Treasurer slags off at how visually offensive Wind farms are on his drive to work - luck he doesn't drive with 5 kms of an open cut!
We can't sell our brown, the iron ore price is half it was, we have more sunshine than any one and guess which technology/resource they cut subsidies to and want to shut down?
How is any worker supposed to pay for his diet dew & durries when the big end of town keeps switching it's investments?

Thanks guys, I know the dirty Chupa tone is kinda murky, but I think it works good in the mix with the dirty DSL tone panned out....I'm not gonna post a clip of the mix, because I'm pretty close to being finished with it, & I wanna post the finished song...

After listening to these clips solo'd again, I really, really like the DSL boosted with the Boss SD-1...

Gonna listen to the song with fresh ears tomorrow, & may end up re-recording the dirty Chupa track, right now I think it sits well with the DSL in the mix, but, my ears are shot for the night too...

And, I'm pretty proud of the drum track I've got on this song too, I played it on my new e-kit, but of course, I had to go into the midi editor & fix a whole lotta shit :laughings:, but it's still way, way faster than programming everything by hand, so I'm really happy with the e-kit...

On the work thing, while I have been looking for another job, I can scrape by on unemployment, so I'm not at all worried about it right now, so I'm actually gonna take a little time off for myself....I've spent the last 25 years of my life working my ass off, so a little time off for myself should be really nice....Of course, I will have to go back to work, but I don't have to for another month or so (when my medical insurance starts to run out)...If it weren't for the insurance thing, I'd lay on my ass for 6 months, but I can't afford to without insurance...

Gonna hit the sack guys, thanks again!!!!

I like Clean 1, and boosted DSL best.

Clean 2 is a little too "quacky" sounding to me. Almost like bridge/middle on a Strat. Clean 1 sounds better IMO.

The Chupa clip is too flubby IMO for that style. I think the DSL is crisper and more balanced.

I like Clean 1, and boosted DSL best.
Yeah dude, I listened to the song this morning, & I agree, those 2 tracks sound the best to me too...

Clean 2 is a little too "quacky" sounding to me. Almost like bridge/middle on a Strat. Clean 1 sounds better IMO.
Well, that's exactly what I was going for dude, a Strat sound...lol...I think for the song I might need a little more gain/dirt though, but just a little.....

The Chupa clip is too flubby IMO for that style. I think the DSL is crisper and more balanced.
Definitely dude, I've been playing around with the mix today, & just adding a little eq to the Chupa track makes it sound much better, & blends with the DSL on the other side better too...I could re-record it, but not sure if I'm gonna do that or not, got some running to do today, & I'm gonna listen to it in the Jeep while I'm out, & try to figure out which way I'm gonna go with it....

I'm so done with my little metal experiment, so here's a quickie back to my usual self to cleanse the palate and get that shit our of my system. :)

Nothing special, Dead Boys riff. I personally like this sound. I'll use it all the time.

Les Paul Trad - Burstbucker 3 bridge
Marshall JCM 800
Pres - 4
Bass - 5.5
Mid - 4
Treb - 5
Pre-amp vol - 7.5
Master vol - 6
Marshall 1960A 4x12 - Greenback - Audix i5 2" off grill, on axis, just outside dustcap
No nothing done in DAW

What Tone Is

Sounds great Greg, to me, it's got the Angus thing going on...Sounds very AC-DC-ish to me dude...Never heard of the band that song's from though...

Gonna grab a bite to eat, & I'll post some more toans up...

Ok, here's a 2-mic clip with the Chupa & Greenback....Used the e609 & '57....the '57 was farther out on the speaker cone, trying to let it get the "meat"/bottom, & the 609 was more toward the dustcap...Sounds pretty mid-rangey, but I used one of the bright switches too, & that adds high end/high mids, along with more gain...

LP > Chupa > Greenback > e609/'57 > daw

Full blend on both mics (both faders were at "0" in the daw)

No eq or post-processing at all on this clip

Presence: 1.5
Bass: 6
Master: 5
Gain 2: 2-3
Gain 1: 7
Era: 80's

2-mic Chupa

Wasn't going for any sound in particular, just making noise this evening...

Sounds great Greg, to me, it's got the Angus thing going on...Sounds very AC-DC-ish to me dude...Never heard of the band that song's from though...

Gonna grab a bite to eat, & I'll post some more toans up...
Thanks bud. AC/DC-ish is just fine with me! That's a halfass snippet of a Dead Boys song. They were part of the 1st wave of NYC punk.

Ok, here's a 2-mic clip with the Chupa & Greenback....Used the e609 & '57....the '57 was farther out on the speaker cone, trying to let it get the "meat"/bottom, & the 609 was more toward the dustcap...Sounds pretty mid-rangey, but I used one of the bright switches too, & that adds high end/high mids, along with more gain...

LP > Chupa > Greenback > e609/'57 > daw

Full blend on both mics (both faders were at "0" in the daw)

No eq or post-processing at all on this clip

Presence: 1.5
Bass: 6
Master: 5
Gain 2: 2-3
Gain 1: 7
Era: 80's

2-mic Chupa

Wasn't going for any sound in particular, just making noise this evening...

I like it. Nice balance overall, but the top end is a little harsh when you play the high strings open. The chunkier parts sound great. Try the same setup, but flip the mics. See what that does. I find that my own 609 is not great too close to the center of the speaker. Little sizzly.

Thanks dude, but it'll be tomorrow, as it's too late for the big amps now...I'm on the e-drum kick right now...lol....To be honest, I'm lovin' these things man, wish I'd bought a set long ago...Of course, I'm not a drummer, but I have improved a lot since I got 'em (I think this Friday will be 2 weeks...), & plan on gettin' better...

I noticed that about the e609 too, & had thought about swappin' 'em around, but got behind the e-drums, & that was that....

Dude, I actually looked up that song/clip you posted, & to me, the tone you posted is pretty damn close...I think yours is actually better, but I did listen to a YouTube clip, & who knows what kind of shit the audio for that has been through...

Back to the e-kit, I kinda wish I'd gotten a better kit, with a better hi-hat controller & another cymbal, but, live & learn I suppose...For a cheap-ass, entry-level kit, these things are great....having a blast over here, I might ride out the unemployment thing for the full 6 months...hahaha

Back