The New Tone Thread

The two last clips are little thin to me. I'm sure the .5 vol has something to do with the first one, but the second one seems like it should be much fuller if the vol is on 8. That's a 100w amp right? I can't remember. Just keep tweaking it. All those switches and shit must do something.
It's a 50w dude...the .5 vol thing did have a lot to do with it being thin on the first one, but the second one might have been a typo on my part, I honestly can't remember if I had the master up that high on that clip dude...LOL...But yeah, keep tweaking/turning the knobs/flipping the switches....gotta learn the ins/outs of this thing....

I forgot to tell you too, the Gain 1 knob is a push/pull thing, that cuts some of the low end out, & seems to lower the gain a tad...

The bright switches make it sound kinda thin too, actually it sounds harsh unless you tweak the tone controls when they're flipped either left or right....Centered it sounds full & warm no matter what...

The noise....that could be something wrong, or it could just be how it is. I don't pretend to know the details, but every high gain Marshall circuit I've ever heard is noisy. Modded or stock.
Well, I know a real, hot-rotted amp ain't gonna be silent/without noise, but it sounds like there's a ground loose, like a guitar without the ground connected (if that makes any sense)...I'm gonna open it up in just a few mintues & look it over....I'll post some gut-shots so you guys can see what kind of build the amp has...Thanks Greg...

The only drawback to that amp is all those toggles and non-standard options could be introducing some weirdness. See if you can get like a explanation of what each control actually does. Is all that stuff standard on the Chupacabra, or did the previous owner do all that? Ultimately it doesn't really matter because you have to play and dial it in anyway, but knowing exactly what all that shit does could really speed up the learning process and maybe even help diagnose potential problems.

Never mind, I see a schematic for it. Looks like that stuff is standard.
Chupa50.jpg

Hey dude,
Took the chassis out of the headshell, & took some pics....I found an explanation about the switches online too, here's a copy/paste of it:

ERA provides 3 tonal options. You can think of this covering 3 different decades of tone. In the middle position, the amplifier
will be cleaner, less compressed, and very woody. We consider this our late „60s mode, as it very accurately captures the
sound of original Plexis. The right position is our „80s voicing. This adds saturation and compression, and is reminiscent of
„80s modded Plexis coming out of LA. This voicing is great for hard rock, thrash metal, etc. The left position is our modern
voicing. This adds even more saturation and compression, and also smoothes the top end response thus preventing any harsh
overtones with this amount of gain. We love this mode for all things metal.

NOTE - Just like the original “Jose mods”, these different modes will impact the taper response of the MASTER control. In
other words, some settings might seem louder than others. In reality, equal volumes are happening sooner or later on the
control. The „60s mod hits stage volume soonest, and the Modern voicing hits stage volumes latest. Don't be afraid to turn up
the MASTER control in the „80s and Modern modes!

GAIN 2 adjusts the signal strength coming out of the second gain stage, and going into the third tube stage. Think of this as a
“saturation” control that will impact pick attack, compression, and feel. Depending on the BRIGHT 2 setting, you can also use
this to shape the high and low frequency response of your Chupacabra.

BRIGHT 2 is a high-frequency boost that can be used to add sparkle and gain to your tone. In the middle position, BRIGHT 2 is
defeated. In the left position, it boosts upper mid and high frequencies, and adds noticeable gain. With the toggle switch in the
right position, it boosts extreme high frequencies, and adds less gain boost than the right position. In conjunction with an active
Bright 2, lower GAIN 2 settings will also trim the bottom end. This high frequency boost / low frequency cut is more prominent
as GAIN 2 is turned down.

GAIN 1 adjusts the signal strength coming out of the first gain stage, and going into the second tube stage. Think of this as a
global “gain” control. Depending on the BRIGHT 1 setting, you can also use this to shape the high and low frequency response
of your Chupacabra.

BRIGHT 1 is a high-frequency boost that can be used to add sparkle and gain to your tone. In the middle position, BRIGHT 1 is
defeated. In the left position, it boosts upper mid and high frequencies, and adds noticeable gain. With the toggle switch in the
right position, it boosts extreme high frequencies, and adds less gain boost than the right position. In conjunction with an active
Bright 1, lower GAIN 1 settings will also trim the bottom end. This high frequency boost / low frequency cut is more prominent
as GAIN 2 is turned down.

FOCUS control is a push/pull switch located on GAIN 1. With the control pushed in, it is defeated. Pulling out the GAIN 1
control engages FOCUS. FOCUS will reduce bottom end, reduce saturation, increase midrange, and accentuate pick attack.

So, that explains it all to me dude, & I was flipping out looking for the bias trimpots inside the amp, but they're located next to the power tubes, so really, I can bias the amp without taking it out of the headshell (unless I wanna read the plate voltage & do it correctly that is...)...I did check the plate voltage & bias today, & it's fine (if I did it correctly....LOL)...The plate voltage was 430V, & I did the math, then biased it to 36mV DC, which is 65% dissipation...To be honest, I checked the bias points before reading the plate voltage, & it was set to 37mV, but, at least I do know how to do this, & it'll help me in the future when I have to change power tubes....

Here's some gutshots:

Bias trimpots:

Pussy Trimmer wheel/pot:

JJ EL34's:

EH 12AX7 in V1:

Mesa-branded 12AX7 in V3:

I didn't post a pic of V2, it's got an EH in it like V1, but I've already changed those out, I put my Mullard in V1, my Baldwin in V2, & my "hot" RCA in V3, & it seemed to have smoothed it out a little, which I like....I'd say the guy had some decent glass in there, but took 'em out, & sent me his low-end tubes (which I don't blame him)...Not gonna get into the tube rolling thing, I was actually trying to see if I could reduce the noise a little, which it did just a little, but the noise is probably something I'm gonna have to live with, which is fine....

Looking at the transformers & tags, looks like this amp was built in 2010...

I'll try to do this with the DSL in a little while, if I can stop playing through this amp long enough....Lovin' it man, just lovin' it...I'm figuring out the switches/controls a little more, & getting it dialed in....It's a beast of an amp IMO....:D

Pics don't show but that's okay.
You mean the pics I posted aren't showing up here dude??? Dunno why, but I can see 'em here in the forum...Lemme know...

Good explanation. I don't know if this is where you got that from, but here's the manual if you need it. Sounds like you got it figured out, but it's got a good bias explanation in it too.
http://www.ceriatone.com/Manuals/ceriatone chupacabra 50w manual.pdf

That's where I got the stuff I posted dude, I copied/pasted it from that exact pdf....

My nephew came up a few minutes ago to check it out, & he was really impressed with it....He told me the DSL100 was "really good, sounds great", when I got it, but he said "wow, this amp makes me wanna keep playing"...:D.

I know I'm still in the honeymoon phase, but I'm absolutely lovin' this amp guys, it's killer....

The Pussy Trimmer is an internal gain control Bob, it adjusts the amp's overall gain....I messed with it a little while I had the amp apart, but didn't really get into it, it sounds just fine with it about half, so I left it alone...Love this amp so far...

Don't know what the fuck happened to my pics guys, but here they are again:

Pussy Trimmer wheel/pot:

Bias adjust pots:

Lovin' the Chupacabra guys, after messing around with it this weekend, I'm getting a handle on how to dial it in....I know I'm still in the "honeymoon" phase, but honestly, this thing fuckin' rocks!!! Classic Marshall tones I've been after forever...

So far, I like the T-75 with this amp better than the Greenback, haven't tried the V30 yet, but will try to do so before work tomorrow...This amp just makes me want to keep playin', the DSL wasn't like that at all....I still like the DSL, but it just doesn't have "that" sound....

Here's a clip with the ISO cab:

Chupa ISO cab T-75

LP > Chupa > ISO cab T-75 > '57

Resonance: 8
Presence: 8
Bass: 8
Mid: 4
Treble: 7
Master: 3
Gain 2: 7
Gain 1: 4
Era: R (80's)
Bright 2: C
Bright 1: R

Like always, I did add some room 'verb in the daw (I always do this with the ISO cab to keep it from being so dry sounding), but on this clip I added some plate 'verb too....Just fuckin' around, but I think this fucker sounds great!!!!

Thanks dude, yep, it's bright, with not much bottom end now that I listen with "fresh" ears this morning....It's definitely the ISO cab though, but, I've also learned using the ISO cab, the mic position & amp settings have to be a little different than when using my 4x12....

Had my first "scare" with the new amp too....I was playing, & BLAM!!!, the gain just dropped drastically...So, of course, thought to myself: "Son of a fuckin' bitch, something's fuckin' taking a shit with the amp"....Turns out, it was a tube.....One of the old stock tubes I'd put in there the other day is on it's way out, the Baldwin labeled 12ax7, swapped 'em all out, found the culprit, & all's well again....Almost shit my pants though, so that tube is probably gonna hit the trash can....:).

You know what kind of tubes don't usually crap out? New ones. Ditch all that snake oil NOS crap and throw some JJs or Tungsols in there. :cool:

I got pursued by another band here in town and I'm gonna try em out next week. One thing that really caught my eye is that they use a backline of Marshall 8x10 cabs. So cool. I'm eager to hear those bad boys.

Something like this:
rscf3j7rzrjqyhghrru3.jpg

Seriously, how fucking cool is that?

pretty damned cool ...... you gonna be be drumbing or guitaring?

You know what kind of tubes don't usually crap out? New ones. Ditch all that snake oil NOS crap and throw some JJs or Tungsols in there. :cool:
Absolutely ..... that tube shit is actually a near cousin to the audiophile bullshit those guys all believe in.
And I know since I AM an audiophile ....... I just don't think I have to check my brain in at the door.

They debate over tubes and cables and every little thing and they rhapsodize over tiny minutiae in the sound differences convincing themselves that it's night and day differences.
You get to focusing so precisely on some small thing you think you hear and it gets magnified to world class status and then you hear it recorded and there's no obvious difference.

Without a double-blind everything you hear is subject to your mood and preconceptions.
You know it's a different tube and someone told you "Notice how much richer it sounds"? and you hear it to be true.

Don't forget .......sound is actually created in your brain which is why you hear differently from day to day.

pretty damned cool ...... you gonna be be drumbing or guitaring?
I'll be guitaring. You remember that really crappy punk band I was in? Well I quit that one a year ago and joined another. That one was going good for a while, but they got a new drummer that sucks the balls of an ass. He's terrible and it drives me insane. At first I was like, okay, he's young, he's new, he doesn't know the songs well, give him time. 8 months later he's still terrible. He completely falls the fuck apart at gigs, and his gear is shit, he doesn't seem to notice or care about any of it, the rest of the band doesn't care, so I've had enough. We have a gig on the 24th. I know it's gonna be a trainwreck, so that's my easy out. I made up my mind a while back. That guy blows this gig, I'm done. Meanwhile, one of the guys in my drumming gig band knows a guy in another punk band looking for a guitar player. My guy gave them my info and they got in touch. They seem to have their shit together a little better, the drummer is real good, so I think I'll give them a shot. I'll be doing more lead stuff, so I'm sure I'll fuck it up. :laughings:

Already ahead of you on the old tubes guys, gonna buy a few new ones to have as spares....I'm gonna have to get a few spare power tubes too, but it's ok, EL34's all the way around...:).

That's cool on the new gig Greg, & is a very cool looking cab....I've heard the old 4x10 Marshall cabs are killer, but don't know myself...You see 'em pop up in the Marshall forum for sale from time to time....

Long fuckin' day, gonna go shower & eat....might be back, might not....pretty fuckin' tired, only got about 2-3 hours sleep last night...

Well, I said I wasn't gonna buy anything else until after the first of the year, but I've found a Marshall 2x12 with a Marshall-branded V30, & Heritage in it for $200.....If the guy's still got it this weekend, I'm probably gonna buy it, that's a pretty good deal, the speakers alone are worth almost that...

Here's a pic....they're Marshall-branded speakers dude, the front of the cab says "JCM2000", so I'm assuming the speakers are well-broken in....If the guy's still got it this weekend, I'm driving to pick it up...That is a good deal, really hard to pass up...I've been wanting another cab, & been wanting some different speakers, so this'll do both at once....Hope he doesn't sell it before Saturday, but we'll see I suppose...Not gonna get my hopes up, because at that price, it probably won't last long...

And I'm still diggin' the Chupa too, learning how to dial it in a little more...My favorite switch settings on that thing are:

Era: 80's
Bright 2: L
Bright 1: C

All the other knobs depend on the guitar, speaker, & what I'm after, but I've found I go to these switch settings most often....I like using Gain 1 around 3-5 (again depending on what I'm after....this is the "overall" gain for the amp), & usually have Gain 2 anywhere from 4-7 (again depending on the tone I'm after....this gain knob adds saturation, affects the pick attack, & compression)...

I've always just dimed the gain knobs on most of my amps before, but this one actually sucks in the 80's & modern modes like that...In "regular" plexi mode, it gets kinda "tubby" with 'em dimed too, so usually I don't push 'em past 6-7 at anytime...

I still need to play with the Pussy Trim & see what it adds, but to be honest, I'm having so much fun the way it is, don't really care...Hell, I'm having so much fun with this thing, I haven't even tried it with a V30 yet....:).

Ah yeah, I think that is a G12H30. Good speaker to go with a V30. That seems like a cool cab. Buy that shit. Keep in mind that cab will probably be quite loud, maybe even louder than your 4x12. Those speakers are more efficient than your 75s in the 4x12, and that cab is an open back. It's gonna pump out some sound. That speaker combo can be quite bright though.

Back