The New Tone Thread

Damn, that's a cool looking setup Greg....I'm getting there though, you won't be ahead of me much longer...hahaha

The 2x12 cab deal fell through, I called the guy tonight on the way home, & he sold it for $300...I might've gave $250 for it, but told him it was cool, no biggie...There's other speakers/cabs out there anyway, again, no biggie...

And, the more I listen to cd's in my Jeep, the more I hear the super lead/plexi sound on a lot of albums that I like...:). Now, I just need to finish up all those songs (I know I've been saying that forever, but I'm gonna buckle down this time, winter's coming, & won't be able to get out & run around....hahaha)...

Gonna grab a shower...

Haha, I had that baby roaring. Not fully cranked, but about about 75% on the PPIMV. No mics on the cabs. Oh man, it sounded so good to me. Only the Super Lead was actually on. Both cabs were hooked up though. Sideways stack. Lol. The JMP 2204 was there for backup, and it looks cool. :D

It really sounded awesome to me. So harmonically rich and full but with lots of detail. Single notes sounded crisp and tight and chords just blasted out from it. Great amp. I really think the Plexi is my favorite.

I hear ya man, you know, running my Chupa through the ISO cab is a "have-to" at night, but there's no fuckin' comparison to letting it rip through my 4x12, none whatsoever....To me, it's a bad-ass amp, period....I love how it responds to my playing, how it feels, I just love it man. The DSL is good, but not like this, no way...At times I just can't believe how fuckin' good this thing sounds....Now, if I can only get my recordings to have that in 'em, it'll all be good dude...

I think I'm just gonna try to get another 4x12 around the first of the year....That'll give me some time to take care of a few things, & should be able to swing it by then....I'm thinking a Greenback cab....

I hear ya man, you know, running my Chupa through the ISO cab is a "have-to" at night, but there's no fuckin' comparison to letting it rip through my 4x12, none whatsoever....To me, it's a bad-ass amp, period....I love how it responds to my playing, how it feels, I just love it man. The DSL is good, but not like this, no way...At times I just can't believe how fuckin' good this thing sounds....Now, if I can only get my recordings to have that in 'em, it'll all be good dude...

I think I'm just gonna try to get another 4x12 around the first of the year....That'll give me some time to take care of a few things, & should be able to swing it by then....I'm thinking a Greenback cab....

I hear ya. My three more vintage style Marshalls have a character to them that the JVM just can't touch.

My quest for less gain and more rawness continues. The Plexi, JMP, and JCM 800 are very good for that. I love how these older style amps go from tight and cleanish to raw power with just picking dynamics.

Did this two-chord "Roadrunner" ripoff silliness just now with the 800 vol cranked but the gain down low. I really like the raw bite in this one. This was stupidly loud - so loud a little feedback seeped through the regular playing. :facepalm:

Les Paul Traditional - Burstbucker 3 bridge pickup
Marshall JCM 800 2203
Presence - 2
Bass - 7
Mid - 6
Treb - 4
Pre vol - 3
Master vol - 10
Marshall 1960A - Greenback/G12-65 - SM 57 on Greenback halfway to edge - Audix i5 on G12-65 halfway to edge
Both mics on axis, on grill, full blend
No EQ or processing

two mics two speakers two chords too loud

I LOVE guitars on the edge of feedback. Difficult for a recording engineer to cope with but sooooo raw and dangerous that it holds my attention.
Nice capture Greg.
With me having no high gain amps that's the sort of sound I occasionally reach for.

I LOVE guitars on the edge of feedback. Difficult for a recording engineer to cope with but sooooo raw and dangerous that it holds my attention.
Nice capture Greg.
With me having no high gain amps that's the sort of sound I occasionally reach for.

Thanks Ray. Mod that Super Bass into a Super Lead and you'll in tone heaven! :thumbs up:

I hear ya. My three more vintage style Marshalls have a character to them that the JVM just can't touch.

My quest for less gain and more rawness continues. The Plexi, JMP, and JCM 800 are very good for that. I love how these older style amps go from tight and cleanish to raw power with just picking dynamics.

Did this two-chord "Roadrunner" ripoff silliness just now with the 800 vol cranked but the gain down low. I really like the raw bite in this one. This was stupidly loud - so loud a little feedback seeped through the regular playing. :facepalm:

Les Paul Traditional - Burstbucker 3 bridge pickup
Marshall JCM 800 2203
Presence - 2
Bass - 7
Mid - 6
Treb - 4
Pre vol - 3
Master vol - 10
Marshall 1960A - Greenback/G12-65 - SM 57 on Greenback halfway to edge - Audix i5 on G12-65 halfway to edge
Both mics on axis, on grill, full blend
No EQ or processing

two mics two speakers two chords too loud
that's a great sound right there!

Yeah, I gotta just buy a good amp for doods who record here. I am tired of attempting the 'fix' that never works.

I have not been a part of this thread in responses because I have nothing to offer, but it is likely the best and most informative one on this site.

Props to everyone here for there advice!

And here goes a mod derailing a thread: Fire me.

What would you recommend as a best tube amp for high gain guitars that I could use for those that don't get it? Using pedal boards and solid state amps? I would love to have and am willing to pay for the right rig to record or reamp their shit and teach them a lesson.

I am a drummer/bass player only. Enough said.

Again, report me if I am a dick for asking here.

Greg: Nice man, very nice....It's got the "bite" that I like, it's articulate, & has enough low end chunk to sound ballsy...To me, this is a perfect example of a classic Marshall tone....Very nice dude!!!

You know, the Chupa can pretty much nail that tone dude, I was fuckin' around with it before work today (still learning the switches & how to dial it in....hahaha), & had a pretty similar tone myself....

And this turns on a light bulb in my dense, thick head...Between the DSL & Chupa, I can get pretty much any tone I'd ever want....I may not even buy those other Marshall amps dude, I know I'd be missing the JVM's high-gain that's different from the DSL, but still, I've got some toans now too....I think different speakers & mics should be higher on the list than another big 'ol amp...Greenback 2x12 or 4x12, & maybe a cab with 65's in it, & I'd be set...I've already got the T-75's & a couple V30's....

Before I got the Chupa, I was using the dirt pedals all the time too, trying to get "that" sound, & now, they're collecting dust along with my little amps...So, I may flip the Bogner Red pedal, along with my 1x12's the next little vacation I get (Thanksgiving), & may end up with another cab that way....The Bogner Red is ok, but it's not great...I'll most likely keep the Boss SD-1, as it's great with the DSL, but the Bogner really doesn't add anything the DSL can't do on it's own...It's fuckin' awesome to have enough gain in my amp & not have to fuck with a pedal now dude...

Guitar-wise, I'm pretty good for now too...I've got the LP, Strat (H-S-S), & the Ibanez...I have been wanting another Tele like I had before (Tele Plus II), but can't find one unless it's a ridiculous price, so I may end up getting a cheaper one, & upgrading/hot-rodding it myself...We'll see....Been wanting an SG too, but unless it's got super-awesome p'ups that are way different than my LP, I'm pretty much covered in Gibson tones with what I've already got....

Love the new amp though dude, I was afraid I'd be disappointed, kinda like all the others I've bought (including the DSL...don't get me wrong, it's a good amp, but not like the Ceriatone at all...), but this thing kicks ass...Goes from clean to mean, everything in between, bedroom volumes to loud as fuck, all in one amp....Love it man, I just love it!!!!

That said, a guy in the Marshall forum has offered his H&K 18w Tubemeister for my DSL-1H....I told him I'd probably have to have some boot on my end because I paid so much for the little DSL-1...Dunno, might trade if he throws in something like a speaker that I don't already have....I kinda hate to part with the 1watter, because it is a good little amp, but I'm not using it at all, & he'd probably use it a lot....Gonna think on it for a few days...Lemme know what you think of those H&K amps man...

Jimmy: Depends on what tones you're after & your budget dude...If you wanna spend less, the DSL100 is a pretty good amp. It's not great, & takes some dialing in/getting used to (it's very bright, & got a ridiculous amount of gain on the red channel, but can be dialed in to sound pretty good IMHO....), the shared eq is kind of a drawback possibly for gigs, but for recording, it's a non-issue....

Or, if you wanna spend more, the JVM410 has all the tones the DSL100 has, & then some....But they're expensive new, you could probably find a used one for about $1,000 - $1,400, just depends, but they're out there for that used....New, they're like $2,500....

You could find a used 4x12 pretty cheap, I got my 1960A 4x12 with Celestion T-75's for $350 shipped....It was an extra $50 for the shipping because it's a big item...And again, depends on what sounds you're after, you could find a cab with different speakers for a little more too....

Good luck dude, let us know what you're after & what you're gonna do....You're in the right place for advice on amps man....I've learned tons here in the last couple years

Thank you for the reply man!

I am actually not sure what it is I need. Most of the bands I record here are somewhere between AC/DC and Tool if that makes any sense.

I do have this cab that a friend gave me. Not sure what it is loaded with.

I am not about to determine what any player needs to use, but there are so many times when there needs to be a smack in the face of a player that thinks his solid state crap sounds good. If I could even just run their direct signal through a great tube amp later, I feel I would not have to struggle so hard.

Just fishing.

Again, I did not with to derail this thread. Seems the right place to ask my question tho.

Attachments

• Marshall Small.jpg
    Marshall Small.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Marshall ID small.jpg
    Marshall ID small.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 31
I'm sure you asking ain't a problem here dude....AFAIK, that's what this thread is for.....

Nice cab, but only way to know what's in it is to take the back off it dude....Might be some killer speakers....I'm very curious to see myself...

Like I said, the DSL100 will do some pretty decent rock tones, it'll get close to AC-DC with some tweaking, but have no idea about Tool....I'm guessing that'd be some scooped sounding stuff, again, no idea...You can get a new DSL100 for about $800 dude...The JVM is way more new, but used it's not much more...Just depends on what you're after really....For versatility, the JVM would be a good all-rounder though....I was gonna buy one back in the summer, but got the DSL100 because it was a little cheaper, & it was new...I had a JVM picked out in another forum, but I'm really glad I backed out, turns out the owner had modded it, without knowing what the fuck he was doing, & basically ruined the amp...I dodged a bullet on that one...

I can recommend Ceriatone amps too dude, I just bought a used Chupacabra 50w, it'll do clean to mean, & everything in between...Does AC-DC really well, 80's hair metal, just a kick-ass amp...New, they're about $1100, shipping is another $100-200 from Asia though...Bought mine used from a guy in Texas for $875 shipped, & I'm very happy with it....

I'm sure the Gerg will chime in tomorrow, he's a very knowledgeable guy about all this shit, he actually helped me pick out the amp I just bought....

Good luck...

Now, take the back off that cab & let us see what you've got dude...:D

After a search, it finally dawned on me....that's a Valvestate cab dude....I had 2 of 'em, a slant & a straight, making a full stack around '99....I honestly don't remember how they sounded, I was more of the "just plug in & play" guy back then, but from what I can find, they're like a budget Greenback...35w...I really didn't give a fuck about tone back then like I do now, it was more about just playing live, but I do remember when I had my amp (100w Valvestate 3-channel) up past "5" on the volume knob, it did get a little muddy (but, the amp was solid-state too, with a single 12ax7 pre-amp tube)...

The thing I do remember about my cabs is they were a lot smaller than a regular 4x12, I could carry one in each hand (with the side handles), & didn't weigh very much...

If I were to get an all-tube head, I don't know if I'd crank it fully or not, the cab is rated at 140w, but some tube amps put out a lot more than that in reality if I'mcorrect...

Only thing I can tell ya Jimmy is to find an amp & try her out dude....I'm sure you've got some nice mics since you run a studio, so if/when you get the chance, I'd be interested in some clips dude....You never know, I might pick up another one of those cabs to add to my arsenal....

Hope this helps, I'm gonna crash, but I'm sure Greg will chime in tomorrow sometime to help you out brother....

Thanks boob and minerman. :)

Jimmy, if you're gonna outfit your studio with decent high gain amps for people that don't use them, I think you need two of them.

Marshall DSL 50 or 100
Mesa Dual Rec

Every modern hard rock/metal tone you could want can be found within those two very very common amp heads. Really, in a nutshell every rock sound there is falls into two categories - British and American. The Marshalls and Mesas wave those flags. They're very different though. One doesn't sound like the other. The DSL will hint at vintage classic rock sounds, like AC/DC, but it doesn't really have the "bonk and kerrang" that we talk about in here for that classic Marshall sound. It's a great amp though. And you can find them super cheap used all day long. Obviously the Mesa Dual Rec is the standard for modern radio sounding shit. Not cheap, but they're great amps. Very very well built and dependable. You'd be the shit if you had those two amps to offer people....and charge em a little extra.

As for speakers, that Valvestate cab aint gonna cut it under a big powerful quality tube head. The cab construction is marginal at best, it's undersized, and those speakers aren't great to begin with, and they would probably melt under a Mesa's balls out modern punch. Look for something with Vintage 30s. A 2x12 Vintage 30 cab would be perfect for your needs. Tough, versatile, really great sounding speakers.

just my 2 cents on that.

Thanks boob and minerman. :)

Jimmy, if you're gonna outfit your studio with decent high gain amps for people that don't use them, I think you need two of them.

Marshall DSL 50 or 100
Mesa Dual Rec

Every modern hard rock/metal tone you could want can be found within those two very very common amp heads. Really, in a nutshell every rock sound there is falls into two categories - British and American. The Marshalls and Mesas wave those flags. They're very different though. One doesn't sound like the other. The DSL will hint at vintage classic rock sounds, like AC/DC, but it doesn't really have the "bonk and kerrang" that we talk about in here for that classic Marshall sound. It's a great amp though. And you can find them super cheap used all day long. Obviously the Mesa Dual Rec is the standard for modern radio sounding shit. Not cheap, but they're great amps. Very very well built and dependable. You'd be the shit if you had those two amps to offer people....and charge em a little extra.

As for speakers, that Valvestate cab aint gonna cut it under a big powerful quality tube head. The cab construction is marginal at best, it's undersized, and those speakers aren't great to begin with, and they would probably melt under a Mesa's balls out modern punch. Look for something with Vintage 30s. A 2x12 Vintage 30 cab would be perfect for your needs. Tough, versatile, really great sounding speakers.

just my 2 cents on that.

Thanx man!

I will likely just buy the both of those and a good cab. I will then place the cost on the guys using the gear.

I am just tired of trying to make a square peg fit in a hole that isn't meant for a toneless dickhead.

Again, report me if I am a dick for asking here.
hey man!! ALL are welcome here and we're delighted to have ya'.

Ummmmm I'm kinda the Mesa guy here somewhat in contrast to the Marshall love that's so evident.
It's not that I don't like Marshalls ..... I mean, good lord ..... just listen to that awesome clip greg just posted ....... that's a killer sound.
Might be the very best sound that's been posted in this thread.

But for what I do (grub for money doing anything that will get me paid) I need serious versatility and for that I don't think there's anything better than my Mesa Mark V .......
I use a single 12 combo but they do make it in a head version that you can run into a 4x12.

And Mesa is known for its' hi-gain sounds so it would be perfect for the metal-heads ....... but it can get a lot of other sounds so it's not locked into hi-gain.

I get a great clean ..... great classic rock sounds.... funk ..... you name it ..... it gets it.
For a studio I think it'd be the shit.

Check it out ....... LOTS of different tonez and even though it looks complex it's really not ..... I had it fully under control in minutes because it's laid out so sensibly.
3 channels ...... 9 modes ...... 10/45/90 watts ...... can run on 6l6s (what I choose) or el34 ...... solid state OR tube rectifier ....... got a dedicated scooped-mid EQ or a regular graphic EQ for each channnel ...... it's really a great amp and Mesas are super reliable.

I love the little bastard and, in case this matters, it's not cheap either ....... :D

I love mine ...... were I to win the lottery I'd get another.

ONLY drawback I could see would be some of your 'artists' might have trouble dialing it in ...... you'd have to do that while with the Marshalls there's not so many options so perhaps for Billy Beat-off something with only 6 knobs might be preferable.

Last edited:
In other news I have a gig this afternoon that calls for my Ampeg V2!

YAY!! I get to rock out with my cock out!

:D

Back