The New Tone Thread

There is more than a little Mick Ronson influence there intended or not. He was a great all-around musician - he always served the song - but some of his more memorable bits were just like that.

Yup, it's not intentional, but his awesomeness is not lost on me. I've actually been feeding myself a steady diet of Spiders era Bowie stuff lately.

Yup, it's not intentional, but his awesomeness is not lost on me. I've actually been feeding myself a steady diet of Spiders era Bowie stuff lately.
Good for you. Ronno was my first guitar hero all those years ago. It's nice to know others appreciate the man. When you listen to that early Bowie stuff it's amazing how much the sound is colored by such spare guitar work. Always in the right place - never too much. Fuckin' Ronno. Bowie knew it.

Good for you. Ronno was my first guitar hero all those years ago. It's nice to know others appreciate the man. When you listen to that early Bowie stuff it's amazing how much the sound is colored by such spare guitar work. Always in the right place - never too much. Fuckin' Ronno. Bowie knew it.

Dude, do you remember? Ronno was exactly why this "Tone Thread" beast even started. The original cave thread was "Tone To Die For" or something like that? We started talking about Ronson and his half-cocked wah sound and we all started posting sound clips trying to do his Slaughter on 10th Ave sound. And here we are. :D

And I don't know if it's hero worship or coincidence, but if you look at Randy Rhoads, he looks a lot like Ronson. :D
Mick%20Ronson.jpg

gibson-les-paul-randy-rhoads-custom-guitar.jpg

For the curious the guitar is a 1981 Les Paul Custom. A '68 would have been nice but YIKES $$$$! Originally black I had the top sanded down to the maple and clear-coated. Original Shaws pups with covers removed. Rewired old style with new caps and pots and gold volume knobs/black tone. My Ronno tribute axe. About $2200-$2500 all in as I recall. Fuckin' priceless to me.

Greg - I also heard the hand claps in that tune. The Bowie/Ronson production values are rubbing off on you. Of course they did some work with Iggy, Lou Reed, etc... Good stuff.

Greg - I also heard the hand claps in that tune. The Bowie/Ronson production values are rubbing off on you. Of course they did some work with Iggy, Lou Reed, etc... Good stuff.

Yup, all those guys are connected. It's funny how Bowie was nothing in the US, hanging around Warhol's "Factory" trying to fit in. Iggy and Lou Reed pretty much made Bowie in the US. Then when their own careers started to die, Bowie remade them. They're all linked. I'm not much of a Bowie fan after the Ziggy era. A little, but not much. Iggy never stopped being awesome. His later work with Bowie was bad ass.

Your guitar is sweet. I do love a Custom. Even though the gold hardware bugs me, they're still so cool. I love all the binding, the headstock, and the ebony fretboard. Is yours considered a "Norlin" era? Does it have a volute?

that 'no fun lead' is freakin' awesome greg ...... it's absolutely a lead ....... ya' know who it made me think of (you'll hate this) ...... Hendrix ..... he did lots of stuff where he was mainly making noises ...... I think it rocks.
For my own style and sound, honestly, I can barely play drums. I'm adequate at best for the music I play. .
bull-pucky ........ you play well grasshopper ....... I know plenty of good drummers that'd have a hard time holding down that blast-beat like you do ...... fast, hard and good timing.
Say what you will ..... that's hard to do and you can't do it without having some chops. ..... alritey then ..... off to work.
:)

Your guitar is sweet. I do love a Custom. Even though the gold hardware bugs me, they're still so cool. I love all the binding, the headstock, and the ebony fretboard. Is yours considered a "Norlin" era? Does it have a volute?
The Norlin era was '69 - '85 so yeah but no pancake that I can see and no volute. That stuff got phased out over time as far as I know. My '70s Deluxe has both.

Greg: Thanks for the info on your favorite drum tracks dude, sorry to pester you about 'em again, but you've helped me tons with my programmed drum sounds, & getting the "performance" to sound half-assed decent.....But don't blow smoke up my ass dude, you can play fuckin' drums, so don't give me that bullshit...:).

Bob: Tell Greg man, he can fuckin' play....and you're right about that lead track, it does sound kinda like Hendrix....

Lou: Nice Lester dude, I'm eventually gonna get another one...My studio is pretty good, but I want one with the binding, bells & whistles too....eventually man, eventually....again, nice axe....

2 more fuckin' days guys, & the Chupacabra will be here...Checked the tracking thing again, & it's in Memphis, TN right now....could possibly be here late tomorrow evening, but most likely Thursday....Can't wait!!!!!:guitar:

Lol. Thanks guys, I swear I'm not fishing for compliments, but thanks anyway. I appreciate it. I know I can generally play the shit out of what I play, but that's about where it ends. I have no range. I really don't have hardly any of the tools that a truly competent drummer would have. I play these gigs and I kind of watch the other drummers and I'm always like "well that guy is way fucking better than me". Where I get them back is I don't usually screw up. They blow some complicated unnecessary fill, I plow through solid as a rock. Score one for keeping it simple. :D

About the lead, comparing it to Hendrix doesn't bother me one bit. That's one of the things I do actually like about him - his use of noise. While I don't get his "genius", generally don't like his songs, I do get that he helped pioneer a loud ass style of guitar playing that I appreciate. I'm not a noise guy per se, but I love the sound of humming pickups and feedback.

Hey Lou, I started a cover of "Ziggy Stardust" last night. Lol. Should be hilarious. :D

Greg, your simple but effective playing style has really opened my eyes on the drum programming thing dude...All this time, I'd been trying to have my drums be complicated as hell, Neil Peart style fills, & shit like that, but you know what, the drums never really fit the song....LOL....I'd much rather have a drummer play from the heart, & play what the song really needs, other than just being flashy, & showing off dude....it's a win + win IMHO....

Two more shifts, & the Chupa will be here guys....I keep checking the tracking thing, & it's in Knoxville right now...Can't wait!!!

Yeah I've always been a believer that simple but solid is better than flashy and bad.

Here's me doing some live drumming from a gig a while back. Pretty good video.

:thumbs up: :listeningmusic: :thumbs up:

time to load up already ..... this is good 'load the truck' music! ..... early gig right on the beach ...... should be fun-ish.

Back