The New Tone Thread

Ha haa - cool vid, man.

Thanks Lou.

I might be starting a southern cowpunk band with the singer/guitar player in that vid. Kind of like an electrified psychobilly thing. We're just talking about it right now. I don't know if it will ever happen. It's his brainchild. He wants me to sing and play geetar, he's gonna play bass, we'd need to find a drummer that's fast and doesn't suck. Houston is such a musical shithole, it might be hard to find competent guys to wanna play that stuff. You could throw a rock and find metal, country, blues, or bad punk players in this town, but no one wants to mesh anything together or play originals.

One more fuckin' day guys & the super lead clone will be here....I cannot wait, as I've been wanting one of these amps for so long now....I just hope it lives up to my expectations...:laughings:.

I set the action just a little higher on my Lester, set the intonation on it, & I'm waiting as patiently as I can...:eatpopcorn:.

Pics & clips to come tomorrow night guys...:thumbs up:.

Yeah Ray, The Johnny's is pretty good. Stuff kind of like that is what we're thinking about. There's a band called Dash Rip Rock from New Orleans that pretty much has the sound I'm thinking of.

I'll look them up.
The Johnnys played for ages in Australia.
they had a ciouple of hits too.
It all fell apart when poker machines were allowed in pubs!
The album is 100% fun as it should be.

Hey guys, I'm fuckin' stoked, the Ceriatone Chupacabra arrived today!!!! This is a copy/paste of the thread I started, just wanted you guys to be sure to see this....

This amp is a big fuckin' deal for me, as I've been wanting a super lead/plexi for years now, & it's finally become a reality....

So far, I'm pretty happy with it...Haven't even scratched the surface of what tones it's capable of, & it's got a crazy amount of gain, but so far, it rocks...

The guy I bought it from did a great job packing this thing, check out the packing job he did:

He even put a couple pieces of paneling in the top & bottom of the box to keep the amp secure & safe:

I have to hand it to the guy, he did a great job on the packing, & has been an absolute pleasure to deal with, if all the used gear deals were like this, there wouldn't be any trouble for anyone...He's e-mailed me all week long keeping in touch with me trying to make sure I'm happy on my end with the deal, & told me to be sure to let him know when it arrived, & if there are any issues with the amp...Great guy....BTW, I bought this amp in the Marshall forum's classifieds....His username in the Marshall forum is Bloodrock....I wouldn't think twice about buying something else from this guy, at all...

I didn't plug it into my 4x12, as I'd probably get the cops knocking on my door, & just don't want the hassle, but I'll do that tomorrow for sure...

I'm still learning what switch does what (the "era" switch in particular, I've figured out centered is "regular" plexi, no doubt, as the gain is much lower, & the volume is beastly...:D.flip it either way, & the volume goes down while the gain goes up...), & getting a feel for the amp, but it's definitely got all kinds of different tones just waiting to be found...I'm gonna pm the guy I bought it from to get the low-down/explanation on the switches...The 2 bright switches do exactly what you'd think, add tons of high end, but they also change the gain structure too...

So, for about an hour of fucking around with it, I'm pretty happy guys....There are 2 things I'm not sure about though:

1) there's a buzz when not playing (like a bad connection/cord), could be a pre-amp tube, could be a lot of things...I'll have to try & see if I can figure this out....It's not a deal breaker, but again, I need to get it figured out...

2) when the era switch is engaged either left or right, the volume drops considerably (until you get the master up to about 7-8 that is)...again, not a deal breaker, & could be user error over here, I literally un-boxed it, hooked it up to my ISO cab, plugged in my LP & started fucking with the knobs & switches...

Here's some pics:

I'll take some better pictures tomorrow, my cell phone does pretty good during the day, but at night in this room, it's shitty....The Marshall logo is actually gold plated, but doesn't show very well in these pics...

And, here's a short, shitty clip:

Chupacabra clip #1

Signal chain:

LP > Chupa > ISO Cab Greenback > '57

Amp settings:

Resonance: 5
Presence: 8
Bass: 5
Mid: 5
Treble: 5
Master: 2.5
Gain 2: 8
Gain 1: 8
Era switch: centered ("regular" plexi)
Bright 2: left
Bright 1: left

So, I've finally got my hot-rodded super lead I've been wanting all this time...Hard to believe (for myself anyway) I've gotten all this new gear this year, as if I hadn't gotten out of the situation I was in, I'd never have anything, literally....

And, this will be the last "big" thing I buy for a while, I've went completely ape-shit buying up gear this summer, so I'm gonna buckle down & make do with what I've got, gear-wise for awhile, other than something "small" like a new/different mic or something...

Life is good for a change over here guys....:D.

Re-post:

Haha, congrats dude! Finally got there huh? Yeah it sounds pretty good. It definitely has that classic Marshall sound. It'll just get better and better as you figure it out. Turn that bitch up now. :D

So are the two gains supposed to mimic the two volumes of an original Super Lead? Like is this thing permanently "jumpered"?

congrats man!
It sounds damned good ..... got that 'bonk' in spades ...... nice!

Ya' know, I was thinking the other night ...... though I've never chased Marshalls like you guys have , I have had a few.
I've had:
A Marshall Major ...... too loud for anything even back when i played very loud. Wish I had it to sell it though.

A Marshall 100 watt something or other ....... it was basic 4 input Marshall but I don't really know what it was ..... got it in Texas around 1978.

A Marshall 50 watt 'plexi' ...... not sure if that's the right term for a 50 watter but it had a plexi panel.
A funny story about that amp ...... I had no cab for it ...... it was just a chassis and tubes ...... I'd set it on the speaker just like if you removed an amp from it's cab.
One night we were playing and there was a big glass of water sitting on a shelf right above the amp. Vibrations made the glass fall off the shelf and dump this huge amount of water falling directly on the amp and all the tubes in the middle of a song. *pop* *pop* *pop* went all the tubes ...... exploding like when you spray water on a hot lightbulb! :eek:
Finished the set and replaced the tubes (back then I always had a spare tube set handy) and the amp was fine ...... no problems at all ....... I couldn't believe it didn't fry the thing but it didn't hurt it at all.

And my Marshall 6101 which I still have.

But I never had a Chupacabre ....... I've been one though.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, you know I finally "get it" about these Marshall amps like this....the louder you push 'em, the better they sound...but the master volume on the Chupa really lets it sound great at tolerable volumes....

I'm thinking the noise issue might be a pre-amp tube, but won't know probably until tomorrow, I don't have time to take it apart today & see....

Here's a clip using the 4x12 (T-75's) with the Behringer C1 condensor mic....It's unreal the way this thing feels under my fingers guys, controlled feedback for days....I'm loving it, & I've only played through it probably an hour total...And I'm sure it'll only get better as I learn the amp....This thing fuckin' rocks!!!!

Signal chain:

LP > Chupa > 4x12 > C1 condensor (no post processing in the daw at all....no eq, reverb, nothin')

Amp settings:
Resonance: 2
Presence: 8
Treble: 6-7
Master: 0.5
Gain 2: 10
Gain1: 10
Era switch: centered ("regular" plexi mode)
Bright 2: centered
Bright 1: centered

This clip was with the volume on about 0.5, just enough to where the sound comes through the cab...This thing is unreal guys, to be honest, through the ISO cab, it didn't impress me very much at first, but through the 4x12, this thing is fuckin' killer....Very happy with it, & I think I've found "my" amp.....

Chupa 4x12 C1 mic

I literally can't stop playing this thing, there are so many tones in it, it's unreal....It's a killer fuckin' amp guys....Seriously, it's killer...Wish I didn't have to work, I'd sit here & play all day long....It's been forever since a piece of gear has done that for me, ever time I flip a switch or turn a dial, I'm finding a different tone, & it's making me smile....Lovin' the new amp guys, lovin' it....I think I made the right choice over an 18w clone, or even a real 1987x, as I don't know if the 18w would have the "oomph" this thing has, & the 1987x wouldn't have the gain that I like....So, I think I've found "my" amp....

Another clip:

Dirty Deeds Done Ceriatone Cheap

Resonance: 2
Presence: 7
Treble: 7
Master: 8
Gain 2: 2
Gain 1: 3
Era switch: Left (I think this is the 80's mode, but not sure...LOL)
Bright 2: right (added gain)
Bright 1: right (added gain)

Signal chain:

Ibanez > Chupa > 4x12 > C1 mic

Greg: Thanks dude, I'm pretty sure the 2 channels are jumpered over all the time, as last night when I'd turn one off, the sound would cut out...I'll have to find out for sure though....Thanks for helping me pick an amp out dude, I really like this thing, a lot...

Bob: Thanks dude, the "bonk" is what I've been after for years now, & I've finally got an amp that will deliver...

Lou: Thanks man, lovin' the new amp!!!!

I listened to the sample on the sep thread & now these 2. It makes is plain that a marshall & a 4 x 12 is a match made in RnR Heaven (or Hell).
I have a C1 and haven't used it for cab mic'ing. I've just used it for vox. I'll pull it out and try it on the cab.

Thanks Ray,
The C1 is a decent mic dude, especially for the price...IIRC, I gave like $50 for mine new....I will warn you though, it can't handle high SPL's like a '57, so if you put it in front of a loud amp, it'll clip in your daw...Mine works great for low-volume recording, or using my ISO cab (or both) when I can't use the 4x12....

The Chupacabra is definitely a whole 'nother animal ran through the 4x12, it's just beastly IMO....

Finally got the week over, & I get 2 big days off....guess what I'll be doing about all weekend???? :)

Thanks Ray,
The C1 is a decent mic dude, especially for the price...IIRC, I gave like $50 for mine new....I will warn you though, it can't handle high SPL's like a '57, so if you put it in front of a loud amp, it'll clip in your daw...Mine works great for low-volume recording, or using my ISO cab (or both) when I can't use the 4x12....

The Chupacabra is definitely a whole 'nother animal ran through the 4x12, it's just beastly IMO....

Finally got the week over, & I get 2 big days off....guess what I'll be doing about all weekend???? :)

Lots of cleaning and doing the garden and stuff like that?

Amp sounds awesome, really pleased you've found your amp!

Lots of cleaning and doing the garden and stuff like that?
Lol...nah dude, gonna be playing through my new amp all weekend...

Amp sounds awesome, really pleased you've found your amp!
I've been wanting one of these amps forever now, always wanted a plexi/super lead, & while this isn't a real Marshall, it's still a bad-ass amp to me...I absolutely love the way it responds to my playing, it's very articulate, the dynamics are really good (soft/hard playing), with controlled feedback, even at low volumes...Of course, it's loud as fuck in "regular" plexi mode (the other 2 modes aren't nearly as loud, until you get the master up to about 8...), & has more gain than I'd ever need...

Something I've been thinking about already, the Pussy Trimmer knob is on the inside of the amp, when I open it up this weekend, I might see if I can mount it on the back (the newer models already have it on the back) so I can adjust the overall gain without taking it out of the headshell....I'll just have to look & see what's up with it when I open it up....I still need to see what kind of tubes it's got, might swap a couple pre's around to see if I can get rid of the noise I mentioned....I tried different cables & guitars, but it's still there...

Thanks dude, I'm really diggin' the new amp!!!

The two last clips are little thin to me. I'm sure the .5 vol has something to do with the first one, but the second one seems like it should be much fuller if the vol is on 8. That's a 100w amp right? I can't remember. Just keep tweaking it. All those switches and shit must do something.

The noise....that could be something wrong, or it could just be how it is. I don't pretend to know the details, but every high gain Marshall circuit I've ever heard is noisy. Modded or stock.

Back