The New Tone Thread

Well having heard that song about a hundred times now, I can say that I think these are the best guitar tracks for it you've done yet. Sounds great. :)

Here's a clip.....and some pics.........fully cranked Plexi!

Gibson Angus SG - Angus sig HB bridge p/u - vol/tone 10
Marshall Plexi 1959 SLP
Everything maxed at 10
High input 1 only
Marshall 1960A 4x12 Greenback - SM57 center, Audix i5 edge, both mics in grill, on axis, equal blend 100%
No EQ or processing in DAW.

Full blend
SM57 center only
i5 edge only

My current favorite mic placements....this is subject to change at any moment...but for now, my favorite.

Greg .... the full blend is VERY much the best to my ears.
Both of the single mic clips are just crap compared to the blend.

The SM57 by itself sound thin in comparison and the i5 sounds murky.
I'm a bit surprised how much the mics suck by themselves compared to the blended clip.

Can't listen to the clip right now, but I'll get 'round to it Greg....thanks for the compliment on the toans....I'm really surprised how good the DSL 100 sounds, even at low volume with the shitty ISO cab....Now, I just need to get off my ass & finish up these songs...I have been working on 'em, but I've been pretty busy with other shit too, but, I'm gonna buckle down & get 'em finished....Thanks again man....

Off to work, see you guys!!!!

Oh yeah, I meant to ask, when you're recording your cranked amp, I'm assuming the mic pre level is down as far as it'll go, right??? To keep from clipping???? Stupid question I know, but you gotta figure who asked.....LOL...Gotta go....

Greg .... the full blend is VERY much the best to my ears.
Both of the single mic clips are just crap compared to the blend.

The SM57 by itself sound thin in comparison and the i5 sounds murky.
I'm a bit surprised how much the mics suck by themselves compared to the blended clip.
Thanks Boob. I agree, individually they suck, together I think they're really good. I'd never use either of those placements though if I'm using just one mic. But for two mics on one speaker, I'm liking those placements. The proximity effect is severe though with that kind of volume and the mics being right on the grill. The center position sounds really thin with less volume. I'd like to back em off a little more, but phasing then becomes a real bitch to deal with. I need to make like a spacer or something just for positioning.

Oh yeah, I meant to ask, when you're recording your cranked amp, I'm assuming the mic pre level is down as far as it'll go, right??? To keep from clipping???? Stupid question I know, but you gotta figure who asked.....LOL...Gotta go....
They're pretty low, but not all the way down. Maybe like 1/3 turned up to come in around -12 on the meters. It's not a problem with dynamic mics. I couldn't use a condenser unless it's far away.

Here's one that's totally retarded and pretty meaningless. I'll call it "Lucky 7s".

I put everything on 7 just to see what happens and let er rip.

Les Paul Traditional - Burstbucker 3 bridge p/u
Marshall JCM 800 2203
All tone controls - 7
Gain and volume - 7
1960a 4x12 - Celestion G12-65 - SM 57 center, Audix i5 edge, both on axis, on grill, full blend
No EQ or processing in DAW

Cock You Like a Candy Cane

I actually kind of like it, but not for this song. I think I'd use it for my own stuff.

A contribution to the tons-O-tones thread. There are three samples below. They all are with a Les Paul Traditional and an SM57 just off the dustcap.

The first sample is a Marshall DSL40C in crunch mode. The second sample is a Mesa Boogie Mark V in Crunch mode. The third sample is the Mesa in Mark II mode.

I'm not thrilled with the Mesa Crunch mode. I could do better if I spent some more time at it. I can give details if anyone would like.

Oh and sorry for playing the same thing over and over. Just trying to keep as much consistent as possible.

A contribution to the tons-O-tones thread. There are three samples below. They all are with a Les Paul Traditional and an SM57 just off the dustcap.

The first sample is a Marshall DSL40C in crunch mode. The second sample is a Mesa Boogie Mark V in Crunch mode. The third sample is the Mesa in Mark II mode.

I'm not thrilled with the Mesa Crunch mode. I could do better if I spent some more time at it. I can give details if anyone would like.

Oh and sorry for playing the same thing over and over. Just trying to keep as much consistent as possible.

Hmmmm, I actually like the last one best. They're all kind of scratchy and harsh to me. :confused:

What are the settings? Do you have a reference tone you're shooting for?

Greg,
That's quite a cool tone - lots of guitar sound (I think that's what I'm trying to say) as opposed to the sound that a pedal offers.
MMM,
The Marshall is a little harsh but would probably sit in a mix well for post punk.
The Mesa Crunch is unpleasant.
IN fact I'm not fussed on the Mesa stuff at all.
Good samples, thanks.

Let me put up another set of samples. Probably won't get to it until this weekend. The DSL tweaks should be pretty easy - I can't remember details, but I remember the high end was pretty dialed up. I really want to work on the Mesa Crunch. It should sound better than it does.

Ok guys, here's a clip of my new, cheap, JOYO Hot Plexi pedal through the DSL 100....

https://db.tt/BBmtDbFV

First off gonna say the pedal is cheaply made, feels really cheap compared to the Bogner Red & Boss SD-1, but, for $30 (shipped, arrived in 3 days, which surprised the piss outta me...), whaddya expect...

A couple/few things I don't like are it feels like it could break pretty easy, & there isn't much variation in the sound....When the pedal is engaged/on, there's a pretty big volume drop, making it pretty much useless for live work, unless you keep it on all the time, using your volume knob to clean the sound up....Same thing with the gain knob, not much difference in the tone until you hit about 7-8 on the dial, & it adds a little more od/gain....Lots of hiss when the pedal's on, but, that's to be expected too, it's a distortion/od pedal, and again, it's cheap....The tone knob does provide quite a bit of variation in the sound though, but again, for $30, I really can't complain....

The thing I do like about it is to me, it sounds pretty good...Best to use a clean amp, & use the pedal for all the gain/od...Don't know how this thing compares to the Carl Martin Plexitone, as I've never used the real thing, but again, for $30, it does add another "flavor" to my arsenal...

I might even buy a couple more of these JOYO pedals, for $30 a pop, they aren't bad, if any of the others are as good sounding as the Hot Plexi...

Signal chain:
LP (bridge p'up) > JOYO Hot Plexi > DSL 100 > Greenback > '57

Hot Plexi:
Level: 10
Gain: 7-8
Tone: 10

DSL 100:
50w mode
Green clean channel
Everything on "5" except the volume, it was on about 3

Starting at the beginning of the clip, the volume on the LP is rolled back to about 3 or so, increasing a little in stages....

Just a quick-n-dirty little clip using the ISO cab at 3 am....

Lemme know what you guys think...

Having a tree removal service come up sometime next week to cut a few trees down that I can't do myself (without wiping out the house...LOL), so maybe I'll have fuckin' 'net here someday...LOL...

The new Sennheiser 'phones are fuckin' awesome, especially compared to the cheap-ass set I'd been using all this time...Way louder (I don't have to crank my interface's volume to hear 'em), way more everything....They even block out everything except the music, wish I could find something to block out all the fuckin' women trouble I've been having the last couple/few months...LOL...The new girlfriend is proabably history, she started out "I'll support you in whatever you do"....now, it's "well, so what you wanna record your "album", you haven't spent any time with me today..."...so, again, probably on to the next one, plus, while she's a pretty good girl all-in-all, she's got a lot of baggage from her past too (waaay more shit to deal with than I have, & that's sayin' a lot...), so, again, on to the next one...

Honestly you guys have no fuckin' idea what kind of shit I've been through the past few months, it's unreal...But, I'm hangin' in there, & becoming a gear whore while I can....LOL....

And, here's a few more clips, this time using the 4x12 cab.....everything on "5" except the gain, on the green crunch it was dimed, od1/od2 around 2, & using the JOYO pedal the gain was around 3-4...

Here's some pics of my new stuff (the amp settings are in the pic):
https://db.tt/xYHr2LRy

https://db.tt/r3dK7d6H

https://db.tt/CxKsetdq

https://db.tt/ntYeoK6V

https://db.tt/5hlzicF1

https://db.tt/NWbuUHyQ

https://db.tt/Jr8XWmWq

https://db.tt/UIQMNl3M

Damn that little pedal is noisy. It doesn't sound terrible, but that hiss is annoying.

Ah, the 4x12 with a little volume. I have to say those clips sound way better than the iso box clips to me. They've got chunk and power. The dimed green channel is a little flubby, but the OD clips sound nice. I'd say take the "resonance" out of it. I personally don't like it on my JVM. It's great for live use, but I find it adds some mush with recording.

Shame about the women. Lol. GAS before ass! :D

Not a tone subject per se but Greg, I want to use my Ampeg ReverbRockett this weekend .... I'm bored and just want to be challenged with something different ...... it's been pretty broken but I'm sure it's fractured solder joints so I just pulled the pre-amp circuit board out (A pain in the ASS!) and touched up all the iffy looking solder joints .... prolly resoldered 40 joints or so altogether ..... and put it back together.

So then I got to thinking ..... a V30 in there maybe? :)
I vacillated for a while ..... it was late and I was tired ..... but screw it! I'm gonna put in that speaker ...... hot dog!

So I have to pull the amp to get to the speaker .... (A pain in the ASS!) ..... NO way to change it with the amp in there ....... I unscrew all 8 tight-ass screws and remove the Ampeg speaker ...... having done this before I go set the Ampeg speaker on the floor next to the V30 to make sure it's not too deep to fit. AH ...... the V30 is almost un-noticeably deeper .... only a few millimeters at most so I'm golden.
I go install the V30, looking forward to my rig I'll surprise the guys with Friday ..... now I put the amp back in the cab, (A pain in the ASS!) .... the two top screws ..... no problem .... the side screw on the left? ... no problem ..... man I can seem to find the hole in the chassis with that right screw. hmmmm ....

I fight with it a while and then turn the amp upside down so I can see ........ hmmmm .......apparently a few millimeters is too many millimeters. :facepalm:

Soooooo ..... I pull the amp back out, (A pain in the ASS!) ..... remove the V30 and replace the Ampeg speaker and then put the amp back in .... everyone say it with me .... (A pain in the ASS!):D ...... it fit fine.

:laughings: :laughings: :laughings: :laughings: :laughings: :laughings:

I should also note that I don't know for sure I fixed the amp yet as I haven't tried it out yet ...... I will be doing that in a bit ....... it could be more tales of woe will be posted.
:D

well that was a huge waste of time!!
:laughings:

Sounds like shit ..... could be tubes and I have a good supply of spares but I have now lost interest in working on it anymore ..... I'll just use the Mark V and I'll get back to the Ampeg later.

That's a lot of pain for one ass. I've seen videos of that sort of thing.

Here is a picture of my son in his favourite t-shirt (well, I assume it's his favourite):

photo_zpsd40429a8.jpg

Back