The New Tone Thread

Yeah that's the green crunch channel on the Marshall.

I was having big trouble getting enough high end on the Mesa Crunch (notice the presence was at 8). So that's why I moved the mic in a bit.

Been playing around with less gain, wilder amp settings, and more mic options and placements. I dusted off the old e609 and threw it back into the mix now that I'm all mic-blend happy these days.

So here's a pile of raw clips, listen at your leisure and see what you think. This is a quick rough take on a classic Johnny Thunders song.

Gibson SG - JCM 800 - 1960a 4x12 Greenback
Settings:
Presence - 6
Bass - 10
Mid - 10
Treb - 5
Preamp - 6
Master vol - 6
Shure SM57 - Audix i5 - Sennheiser e609 - all mics halfway to edge, on axis, on grill, same speaker
Each track phase aligned in DAW to be in perfect phase, or as perfect as I can get it.
No EQ on any track, except for the very last full 3 mic blend clip

SM57 Solo
Audix i5 solo
Senn e609 Solo
SM57/i5 blend
SM57/e609 blend
i5/e609 blend
57/i5/609 full blend
57/i5/609 blend with some cleanup EQ

As much as it hurts to admit it the blends without the 57 sound positively vegetarian compared to the meatier 57 blends.

Ha, the 57 is the king of all cab mics. :D

Do you recognize that song Ray? I know I didn't do it much justice and it's very basic. But you have LAMF, right?

I like the 57/e609 blend and the full blend with all of the mics. I can't tell a difference between the EQ'd and non-EQ'd ones on the speakers I'm listening on right now.

Greg,
Yep recognized it - was at work so I plan to play LAMF tonight so I can keep the joy happening.
What a band, what a man, what a bunch or raw rockn songs!

I like the 57/e609 blend and the full blend with all of the mics. I can't tell a difference between the EQ'd and non-EQ'd ones on the speakers I'm listening on right now.
Cool thanks for checking it out. The EQ'ing is very subtle and minor. All I did was scoop out a tiny bit of "woof" and mud. All those close mics really stack up the proximity effect. In a full mix though those low mids really give the guitars some body and power, so you gotta be gentle with the EQ down there.

Greg,
Yep recognized it - was at work so I plan to play LAMF tonight so I can keep the joy happening.
What a band, what a man, what a bunch or raw rockn songs!

There are only a handful of albums that I consider perfect from beginning to end. LAMF is one of them. That album just knocks me out whenever I listen to it. So raw and powerful. Great rock and roll songs.

One of the bands I'm playing with has been chosen by a recording student to go to his school and record a covers EP in the school studio for one of his assignments and portfolio. He's doing all the work, we just have to show up and play and we're gonna give it away for free. Should be pretty cool. Johnny Thunders' "Baby Talk" is one of the songs we chose to do. We're doing....

Johnny Thunders - Baby Talk
Ramones - Judy is a Punk
Dead Boys - What Love Is
The Sonics - The Witch
Blondie - X Offender
And probably a NY Dolls or Stooges song yet to be determined.

Of the three mics solo'd, it's a toss up for me on the 57 vs e609. They're pretty similar. The Audix is a little wimpier to my ear. The other two have a bit more umph. I don't know how much that has to do with the mics vs their positions.

Of the three mics solo'd, it's a toss up for me on the 57 vs e609. They're pretty similar. The Audix is a little wimpier to my ear. The other two have a bit more umph. I don't know how much that has to do with the mics vs their positions.

They're all positioned in the same spot relative to the center and edge. Give or take a hair of course. I didn't measure it with a ruler. Just eyeballed it.

This is a track I'm really happy with. I did this last weekend for an album one of my bands is currently working on. I really like the sound.

Les Paul - Bustbucker 3 bridge pup
Marshall Plexi 1959
Pres - 2
Bass - 6
Mid - 2
Treb - 6
Hi input 1 vol - 4
PPIMV - max cranked
1960a 4x12 - Greenback - SM57 dustcap/cone - i5 halfway to edge - on grill, on axis
No EQ

nice sound .....a little brightish on my puter speakers buy very clear and defined ..... be easy to sit that in a mix.

The guitar track has teeth & meat - good combo.
I'm pleased to see you're doing X offender - early Blondie was often sublime. They're thought of in terms of Heart of Glass now - dance poop but they were so much more.
It's a good short covers list: should have people pogoing if that's still done.

nice sound .....a little brightish on my puter speakers buy very clear and defined ..... be easy to sit that in a mix.
Thanks dude. It does work in the mix really nice to me. I'll put up the mix when it's ready.

The guitar track has teeth & meat - good combo.
I'm pleased to see you're doing X offender - early Blondie was often sublime. They're thought of in terms of Heart of Glass now - dance poop but they were so much more.
It's a good short covers list: should have people pogoing if that's still done.

Cool thanks Ray. Yeah I do have a soft spot for early Blondie. Gotta be early stuff though. That Heart of Glass shit is horrid.

Oh, I listened to LAMF last night - headphone job sadly but still a rockin' record. I was particularly impressed by the hard panned guitars - some superb arrangements.

Back