The New Tone Thread

Clones are good. Most quality kit designers have figured out the plexi circuit by now. And true power scaling is the best way to tame the beast. It's better than attenuators or ppimv.

If you're set on the plexi sound I think the clone or a 1987 is the ticket, and you'll have more flexibility with speaker options and longevity. You might wanna attenuate the 1987 though. It's really loud all the time.

Clones are good. Most quality kit designers have figured out the plexi circuit by now. And true power scaling is the best way to tame the beast. It's better than attenuators or ppimv.

If you're set on the plexi sound I think the clone or a 1987 is the ticket, and you'll have more flexibility with speaker options and longevity. You might wanna attenuate the 1987 though. It's really loud all the time.

Hey Greg - thanks for keeping up with this! I think I might build one or two of those kits. I can build two amps (one Plexi circuit and an original Fender Champ circuit) for less than half the price of a new 1987x. I intend to record at full power using the isobox, but being able to turn it down at other times is a great advantage.

Ceriatone makes marshall kits that get rave reviews even from the snobbiest marshall guys. Great customer service and tech help too. Check em out.

Thanks for the heads up. They have tonnes of options. With shipping to the UK and import tax, though, I could probably pick up a vintage plexi for less.

Ah I see. I think they have a hub in the US that takes care of all that. Maybe that's why they're a good option over here.

Ah I see. I think they have a hub in the US that takes care of all that. Maybe that's why they're a good option over here.

They have a table of shipping rates per country and by weight for different companies. The cheapest option would be $150 just for the shipping to the uk.

Nice toans and slick licks, Coal Miner. :guitar:

Thanks man, nothing special reallly, just me fuckin' around with the new gear....Pretty close to an 80's hair metal tone though, I listened to it in my Jeep on the way to work, & to me, it sounds more like Ratt than Van Halen....Either one is good enough....LOL...

Thanks again dude...

So I ordered the plexi clone amp kit (Amp Maker: Guitar amp kits and parts :: Guitar amp kits :: P1800 plexi amp). Should arrive tomorrow or Friday. If I can mount it in one of my old solid state Marshall bodies, I'll only end up spending £300 on 18W of badass plexi tone (assuming it doesn't suck!).

Won't be able to build it for a little while, most likely. I really want to finish this song I'm working on before I take on a new project. Once it's done, you'll be the first to know!

Thanks man, nothing special reallly, just me fuckin' around with the new gear....Pretty close to an 80's hair metal tone though, I listened to it in my Jeep on the way to work, & to me, it sounds more like Ratt than Van Halen....Either one is good enough....LOL...

Thanks again dude...
The 80s hair-metal tone is a bit of a guilty pleasure. :o

Yeah man, I love the 80's hair metal thing....I kinda figured the Gerg would let me know what he thought of these 2 clips, but....

Anyway, got some mics on "the list", I've already got a '57, but I'm probably gonna get another for extra/backup, a Sennheiser e609, & an Audix i5....Those should round out my mic choices, combined with the '57, Samson C0-1 & Behringer C1 I already have....

I'm wanting to buy some good headphones too, but I'm not really sure what brand to go with....Of course, I don't wanna spend a fuckin' fortune on 'em, but I want a set that will be a good bang for the buck....I've been looking at Sennheiser & Sony....FWIW, I'm still using a $20 set of Sony's I got at Wal-Mart, & while I'm really used to 'em, & they sound really good for what they are, they're not gonna last forever (they're actually about to fall apart....been using 'em for 4-5 years now...)...Can't find these exact 'phones anymore either, so, I'm gonna upgrade....Any help here guys???? No hurry, as it'll be a couple days before I buy/order 'em, but suggestions/help would be appreciated....

Anyway, gotta get ready for work, got a 4 day weekend coming (no pay this time, but, I do get the time off....), so I'll be back in a couple days to check in....

Keep our thread goin' guys!!!!

Yeah man, I love the 80's hair metal thing....I kinda figured the Gerg would let me know what he thought of these 2 clips, but....

Anyway, got some mics on "the list", I've already got a '57, but I'm probably gonna get another for extra/backup, a Sennheiser e609, & an Audix i5....Those should round out my mic choices, combined with the '57, Samson C0-1 & Behringer C1 I already have....

I'm wanting to buy some good headphones too, but I'm not really sure what brand to go with....Of course, I don't wanna spend a fuckin' fortune on 'em, but I want a set that will be a good bang for the buck....I've been looking at Sennheiser & Sony....FWIW, I'm still using a $20 set of Sony's I got at Wal-Mart, & while I'm really used to 'em, & they sound really good for what they are, they're not gonna last forever (they're actually about to fall apart....been using 'em for 4-5 years now...)...Can't find these exact 'phones anymore either, so, I'm gonna upgrade....Any help here guys???? No hurry, as it'll be a couple days before I buy/order 'em, but suggestions/help would be appreciated....

Anyway, gotta get ready for work, got a 4 day weekend coming (no pay this time, but, I do get the time off....), so I'll be back in a couple days to check in....

Keep our thread goin' guys!!!!

Sennheiser HD280s

Ok guys, backed out on the mics for another week, but I did order some 'phones, went with the Sennheiser HD280's, it was a toss-up between those & a pair of AKG's that were the same price....Should be here Tuesday....Gonna be nice to have a good set of 'phones, instead of using those cheap Sony's....I will say the cheap Sony's do sound really good, & I know 'em really well...Gonna take some time to get used to the new ones.....

No tones today, as of right now anyway, but may try to post some over the weekend.....

300 pages, hard to believe...

Oh yeah, bought a cd this week "Red Dragon Cartel", Jake E. Lee's new band.....a few really good songs, & a few that are so-so, if you get a chance, check it out....

Gotta run!!!!!

So I ordered the plexi clone amp kit (Amp Maker: Guitar amp kits and parts :: Guitar amp kits :: P1800 plexi amp). Should arrive tomorrow or Friday. If I can mount it in one of my old solid state Marshall bodies, I'll only end up spending £300 on 18W of badass plexi tone (assuming it doesn't suck!).

Won't be able to build it for a little while, most likely. I really want to finish this song I'm working on before I take on a new project. Once it's done, you'll be the first to know!
Awesome dude!

If you can, please document your build in here. I'm really eager to follow along and see how it sounds.

Jonny: FWIW, I've been using my 100w DSL with my ISO cab, a single speaker....I've even been using it with my 25w Greenback speaker, but, I've had it on the 50w mode, & keeping the volume pretty low so I don't fry the speaker....As far as noise, it's actually about as quiet as the 1w amp cranked.....

And here's a couple tones for you guys, going for the VH thing again, of course I know it' waaay off, as this was just quick-n-diry, spur of the moment thing....

DSL VH attempt

Ibanez RG (Custom Custom p'up) > DSL 100 > V30 > '57

OD 1
Resonance: 6
Presence: 10
Bass: 6
Middle: 5
Treble: 8
Volume: 3
Gain: 8

Bogner Red VH attempt

Ibanez RG (CC p'up) > Bogner Red pedal > DSL 100 > V30 > '57

Clean chanel
Resonance: 5
Presence: 10
Bass: 5
Middle: 2
Treble: 8
Volume: 4
Gain: 7

Bogner pedal:
Variac: on
Mode: full
Pre-eq : b1
Structure: 20th
Volume: 8
Treble: 6
Middle: 5
Bass: 3
Gain: 10

FWIW, I added all the effects in the daw....reverb, delay, & some phase, and of course, I know I'm way off, but, just having fun with the new gear....Lemme know what you guys think....Love the new amp & pedal btw....

Finally getting to these clips....

I don't think they sound too VH-ish, but they do sound 80's hair metally. They're a little on the bright side to me. A little crispy. Pretty damn good though. They do sound more balanced than your one watt clips. They have more...uh....like a 3D kind of sound. Not as compressed even with high gain. I think if you're using the V30 by itself with the amp in 50w mode you could use a lot more master vol. The V30 can handle it. Greenback....maybe not.

Of these two, I actually prefer the Bogner pedal clip. Seems smoother to me.

Greg:Thanks Greg, after listening, these clips sound more like Ratt than VH, but, it's all good, I'd be happy with those tones in one of my songs....if I ever get around to finishing one...HA!!!! I know the V30 could stand a little more vol, but the Greenback, probably not...Really happy with the new gear, the amp really doesn't need an od pedal at all, enough gain for anything even I'd do....One thing I've noticed about about a lot of the guitar tones I've been listening to latey is that they're really bright/crispy sounding....maybe it's the mix/master, but again, really bright...Diggin' "Red Dragon Cartel" the last few days, especially the song "Redeem Me", Jake E. Lee's sound is amazing, but bright...so, I should be set, just need to get off my ass & finish the album...Thanks again man....

Jonny: Congrats man, just take your time & do it right dude, should turn out awesome, & you'll learn about the amp(s) while you're doing the build....

See you guys later, gotta go....

Ok guys, just pulled the trigger on a Joyo Hot Plexi pedal, should have it by mid-week, & will post some tones & a review when it arrives....Supposed to be a clone of the Carl Martin Plexitone, & to be honest, I've never tried the original, but for $30, I figure what the fuck....I spend more than that on Moutain Dew & Nestle's Strawberry Milk on the way to/from work during a week....LOL.....

Slowly but surely I'm starting to get all the shit I'd been wanting all this time, & my setup just keeps growing...

The Sennheiser HD280 'phones will be here Tuesday, & I'm pretty excited about those, I've been using a cheap ass set of Sony's (from Wal-Mart...$20...) for years now, & I'm really curious to how a good set of 'phones will compare to what I'm used to....

No tones to post today, I have been recording this weekend, slowly but surely getting the "album" a little closer to being finished....It's been too long finishing it up already, but I don't wanna rush anything on these songs, wanna try to make 'em all sound as good as possible....

Gotta run, talk to you guys in a few days.....

Back