The "CHALLENGE" thread.

As excellent as Greg's cover is - this is a challenge thread, not a "what have you done already" thread. Let's get back on topic. As the Clash seem to have been done to death by the pair of you, let's pick something else. :)

I challenge Greg to do "Boogie Wonderland" by Earth Wind And Fire. Not sure if it's far enough outside of your comfort zone though :p

I guess so. The facebook links fail quite often, too. I'm not sure whose fail it is, though! :D

Where's NTB? :mad: I want him to hear my challenge! :mad:

I was on vacation for a week... or "holiday", as they say over there, according to movies and TV shows I've seen. I have listened to your song. A couple notes:

- Concept was genius, performance flawless

- I appreciate your sense of humor

- I felt like I needed a shower after listening to it

If anyone ever wrote these three things about a song I did, I would consider it the ultimate compliment. Good show!

I was on vacation for a week... or "holiday", as they say over there, according to movies and TV shows I've seen. I have listened to your song. A couple notes:

- Concept was genius, performance flawless

- I appreciate your sense of humor

- I felt like I needed a shower after listening to it

If anyone ever wrote these three things about a song I did, I would consider it the ultimate compliment. Good show!

Well it's good to have you back after your Griswoldian adventure. :D

I missed you. :(

Thanks for the great comments, but a SHOWER? :confused: :laughings:

Well it's good to have you back after your Griswoldian adventure. :D

I missed you. :(

Thanks for the great comments, but a SHOWER? :confused: :laughings:

Visiting my brother in Southern California. Fucking beautiful out there. If you ever take a trip to the US, go straight to the west coast. Especially if it's during winter.

Thank you for the kind words, my limey buddy! I mean this in the least-gay way possible, but I missed you too! The entire website, actually. I've never been on facebook, twitter, linkedin or any of that bullshit, as I have always had a general aversion to "internet socializing" in general. But look at me now... I created an account a few months ago to ask for help, and I've enjoyed talking to you guys ever since. You, Greg, and a few other guys have been particularly cool with helping me and just fun to talk to in general.

The shower comment was a joke, the joke being that I felt dirty after hearing a Motorhead song being converted to reggae. Well, it was kind of a joke! :)

Well, the West Coast girls are hip, I really dig those... erm..... big fake knockers they have. :D

Wherever people meet, they're still people and it doesn't matter whether it's on twitter or in the local café. A connection can still be made.

What's your next project? I commented on your last efforts, by the way. :)

The Motorhead copy is fun.
The guitar isn't quite there but, as said, it was fun to hear a Lemmy cover.
The other track link fails.

"Fun" is pretty much all I can hope for! Next time I do a motorhead cover and I think I have the drums and bass somewhat respectable, I'll send it to you and you can play the guitar (if you feel like it, obviously). I can usually play bass decently and can get drums near-half-decent on a good day, but it will take me some real practice to be able to play guitar to even a low-average level.

Here's the other link, if you were still curious.

https://soundcloud.com/user92696274096/shot-by-both-sides2/s-pxTsd

I somehow missed the last two paragraphs of your post.

Wherever people meet, they're still people and it doesn't matter whether it's on twitter or in the local café. A connection can still be made.

Even if I become one of them, I'm still going to make general insults about what I always called "internet people". Fortunately, I don't mind being a hypocrite! :)

bubba said:
What's your next project? I commented on your last efforts, by the way. :)

I will check out the comments, thanks. I'm still in the challenge thread, so give me a project. Perhaps I will cleverly disgrace it, as you did with Iron Fist! :)

I did a Motorhead cover a few years ago. Mine's pretty faithful to the original though. Wasn't much of a challenge. :(

Very faithful. Nice cover. When the little lead guitar riff kicked in at around :20, what jumped in my mind is that you got the EXACT same tone as in the original. I say this not having listened to the original in a while, though... and I'm not going to check, because I might be wrong. Just sounded extremely familiar.

I didn't fuck around with the Motorhead song though....I played it pretty straight. Boring and straight. Yeah I drummed it, did everything. I don't like the guitars much. But it's old so it's okay.

Speaking of Marley, I did one of his even a longer time ago. It's not Motorhead style, but it certainly aint ray-gay either. I think this was from like 2008 maybe.

While I don't find this to be one of the better things you've put up here, it made me think... 20 years ago or so when I would get an epitaph or fatwreck or whatever comp and wind up buying a few of the bands CDs based on the songs I heard, if your shit was on one of them (I listened to some of your originals from that link at the bottom of your posts), yours would have been one of the ones I picked up. The only bands I learned of from the comps whose songs I liked and whose albums I bought were Lagwagon, Snuff and Bracket. I don't know if you'll take this as an insult or a compliment, but since I think all three are great, I think it puts you in pretty good company. Don't worry, you don't sound as sissy as Lagwagon or Bracket.

Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons- Opus 17 (Don't You Worry 'Bout Me). I did this a while ago (faster and with power chords, obviously), and it would have been great if I'd known what I was doing. One of you could pull it off. The fun part is trying to sing the later verses, as the key goes up a notch at the start of each new one. I sounded like my testicles had been mashed by the end of it. Even more than normal.

Anyone want to give it a whirl?

There is an art to copying something exactly. There is a lot to be learned by getting the guitar/drums/bass tones exactly as they were. Setting the comps and the verb just so. Getting the pans exactly as the original was.

But there was something magical about hearing Iron Fist in reggae. That first moment of "Hey, that's not the song." Then the dawning of realization that the progressions and the lyric and the tune were in fact Iron Fist. I always love when someone takes apart a song and makes it their own.

Someone who can paint exactly like the photograph is talented. Someone who can take the photograph and make you feel something completely different from the scene is gifted. :D
That's why when I give suggestions, it's always take song X and make it genre Y. I find a lot more fun in a $3 bill with Nixon/Clinton/Obama or whatever (I think Einstein was actually on the first), is a lot more fun than a finding I have a counterfeit $100...maybe that's a bad example. None of the songs in this thread have been that painful :laughings:

Thanks, Broken_H! I have to admit I snatched victory from the jaws of defeat with that one. I was trying to learn the parts to do it faithfully and it became clear that I was going to fail so utterly it wouldn't even have been funny. You guys would've been looking at each other with embarrassment and then back to me with the kind of pity usually reserved for a devastatingly handicapped child.

NotThatBright,
I like your version of Shot By Both Sides.
Being that I love Devoto/Magazine & that song in particular means you had a hard time pleasing me.
It sounds more overtly aggressive than the original and not unlike them doing it live.
Vocals - fine - Howard's not exactly a "singer" and you added some punk/buzzcocks snottiness to the delivery.
Guitars - no problems the original guitars had an 80's sound so getting a great valave amp tone wasn't an issue.
Me play guitar?
Have you heard my recordings?

NotThatBright,
I like your version of Shot By Both Sides.
Being that I love Devoto/Magazine & that song in particular means you had a hard time pleasing me.
It sounds more overtly aggressive than the original and not unlike them doing it live.
Vocals - fine - Howard's not exactly a "singer" and you added some punk/buzzcocks snottiness to the delivery.
Guitars - no problems the original guitars had an 80's sound so getting a great valave amp tone wasn't an issue.
Me play guitar?
Have you heard my recordings?

"Pygmy Beat"? Do you guys go around drinking Foster's and beating up on midgets? :)

I just clicked on the link in your footer and heard "A Patch of Ground". Nice song. What do you play?

Thanks for the critique. The vocal range in "SBBS" isn't really in my wheelhouse... if the key were a few notes higher it would have been better. Not much better, of course, but I have trouble hitting lows when I'm attempting to sing (or yell, as is usually the case) loudly. I'll also blow my nose first next time and attempt to alleviate some of the snottiness.

Back